GT v Duke tonight

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Fouls are super bogus. As soon as a puke player gets in the air the refs are blowing a whistle. That last foul the guy wasn't even trying to shoot.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Patented offensive drought underway. 3ft halo on Duke players isn't helping our defensive effort.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Guys are gassed. If we can play like this against the lower tier we should be okay this season. Carter being out has killed us inside

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
For a team whose strength is scoring inside we are awful at getting the ball down there. The entry passes to the low post are just nonexistent, and outside of the random Tre Golden drive, we rarely attack the basket with our guards. Georges-Hunt has some bright spots, but it's just too inconsistent.

The injuries have hurt, but I've been pretty disappointed with what I've seen thus far.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
For a team whose strength is scoring inside we are awful at getting the ball down there. The entry passes to the low post are just nonexistent, and outside of the random Tre Golden drive, we rarely attack the basket with our guards. Georges-Hunt has some bright spots, but it's just too inconsistent.

The injuries have hurt, but I've been pretty disappointed with what I've seen thus far.
0/6 at the charity stripe... Horrendous

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
My expectations were so low that I am finding myself pleased that we managed to stick around as long as we did.

Nice game for Miller and MGH. Pooles were a train wreck.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
First of all, I can't find any stats to support this...

...but this Duke bias with regards to fouls has got to stop. I know that I'm conditioned to hate them, so it's hard to see through a clear lens, but no one can play defense that aggressively and have as few fouls called as they do. I thought the new hand check rules would help, but they seem to be immune to them. Here's some of the crap I saw tonight (haven't watched a replay, so I could be wrong...)

1. Miller goes up for a dunk, gets smacked on the wrist and loses the ball, no foul...viewed as a block
  2. Scramble for loose ball. We have it, Duke player ties up the ball...ball is held for a few seconds, no call...Duke player rips the ball away for a steal...may not have been a foul, but at the very least it needed to be a jump ball. If I recall the situation correctly, it looked like there were a couple tie ups during that sequence
Meanwhile any graze of a Duke player while they are in the air results in a shooting foul.

I understand that better players know how to draw fouls, but some of this stuff is so blatantly missed that it just drives me crazy. The only time of year where it seems to go the other way is when they get into the NCAA tournament...then the games seem to be called more fairly when it's not an ACC crew that K has made his b#&*@...and then they lose to Lehigh...

Not trying to make excuses, because we aren't going to win until our offense improves. Just saying that we don't exactly need help losing to them...

GTJason

Helluva Engineer

...but this Duke bias with regards to fouls has got to stop. I know that I'm conditioned to hate them, so it's hard to see through a clear lens, but no one can play defense that aggressively and have as few fouls called as they do. I thought the new hand check rules would help, but they seem to be immune to them. Here's some of the crap I saw tonight (haven't watched a replay, so I could be wrong...)

1. Miller goes up for a dunk, gets smacked on the wrist and loses the ball, no foul...viewed as a block
  2. Scramble for loose ball. We have it, Duke player ties up the ball...ball is held for a few seconds, no call...Duke player rips the ball away for a steal...may not have been a foul, but at the very least it needed to be a jump ball. If I recall the situation correctly, it looked like there were a couple tie ups during that sequence
Meanwhile any graze of a Duke player while they are in the air results in a shooting foul.

I understand that better players know how to draw fouls, but some of this stuff is so blatantly missed that it just drives me crazy. The only time of year where it seems to go the other way is when they get into the NCAA tournament...then the games seem to be called more fairly when it's not an ACC crew that K has made his b#&*@...and then they lose to Lehigh...

Not trying to make excuses, because we aren't going to win until our offense improves. Just saying that we don't exactly need help losing to them...
Can't do anything but agree with you. The acc should come down hard on the refs. Hopefully a new big dog like cuse Pitt nd (not sure if they play again) or Louisville next year gets f'd as a result and makes noise. We just sound like sore losers

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck

And, as a result of not getting any foul calls, opposing teams get timid going inside and going for loose balls. So frustrating.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Can't do anything but agree with you. The acc should come down hard on the refs. Hopefully a new big dog like cuse Pitt nd (not sure if they play again) or Louisville next year gets f'd as a result and makes noise. We just sound like sore losers

I used to think we needed UNC to get screwed and complain in order for change to come. Unfortunately the change was that UNC was given the Duke rules too. :meh:

Sux to be us I guess.

I hate when people act like it doesnt matter. These blatant discrepancies in the way the game is called effectively neuter the other team.