Film Room GT v Alcorn

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
A couple of observations:

1. No question in my mind who the #1 BBack is. In fact KB is by far the hardest BBack we have had to tackle. Dude is just a beast.

2. Our QB is going to be fine. His vision is there. He had a few balls come out of his hand a little awkward. Hell When I was in law school at OM Eli Manning had it happen on a regular basis. The major problem to me seems to be the WR and QB not on the same page on the option route. That could be the QB but it seemed to me atleast one of those was on the WR. But on two occasions TM was scrabbling and looked up and was aware enough to know where his targets were going to be and instead of running threw it. Both times went for long gains. One a long first down (which TM couldnhave easily made just running) and the other went for a TD. On the TD pass it was suppose to be a stop and go to camp. DB was in perfect position. I’m certain the instructions for that play is if it wasn’t there to eat it. But TM while tucking and running looked up and saw BS in the end zone with nobody around. Was a great play (except I think we had 2 linemen that were down field and it wasn’t called).

3. Our oline did not play good. I could go into detail, but I’m not. I know we can play much better than that. I’m going to chalk it up to 1st game jitters.

4. Did I saw KB is a beast or what.

5. We could have just run the dive over and over again and never been stopped.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
On that pass that ennded up being a td to Brad. That was our hitch and go route thats why the pump fake and why tq said he knew camp.wouldnt be open because when he pumped the corner stayed home.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
2 things I’ve always wondered about Paul’s O philosophy are:

1. The wide splits on the OL. I understand they are wider than Normal for a reason to try and make the DL spread further out to give us more room to work, but at times it kills us when teams like VT just put a DB or really quick LB in the A gap and just runs right through our C-G split because it’s so wide and immediately disrupts the play. It has happened so many times I don’t know why more teams don’t do it honestly.

2. We have struggled with pass pro since Paul got here. I know running the ball is our bread and butter, but in obvious passing downs, like 3rd and 15, why not let the OL get in a 2 point stance and help them get into pass pro posistion easier and give us more time to throw the ball. Guys coming out of a 3 pt stance in pass pro puts them behind the 8 ball right off the bat and guys just blow by us so much. I understand not to do it on non obvious passing downs to not tip a passing play to the defense but I sure think it would help our passing game in obvious passing downs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was disappointed in some of the ol guys lower their helmets when blocking -- especially pass blocking later in the game .
Coaches will correct that.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Did anyone notice that Benson did a great job pass blocking - straight ou not their knees! ?

I saw some great blocking from Benson just straight up and I noticed a couple savage cut blocks as defenders were rushing in towards Marshall. While overall pass pro was hit or miss, seemed like the times there was a guy loose it was a communication issue, not cause someone got beat.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

1. The wide splits on the OL. I understand they are wider than Normal for a reason to try and make the DL spread further out to give us more room to work, but at times it kills us when teams like VT just put a DB or really quick LB in the A gap and just runs right through our C-G split because it’s so wide and immediately disrupts the play. It has happened so many times I don’t know why more teams don’t do it honestly.
Just a note, VT may want to come up with a better plan since we've beaten them 3 out of the last 4 seasons and have averaged about 275 rushing yards and 5 ypc in those wins.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Well they haven’t had a Fuller running through our OL either. But I’m not saying we haven’t had success against them, I just remember a lot of plays getting blown up quickly with both VT with fuller and duke with cash. WiTh them lining up at the LOS and just running right through a wide split.

Even though Foster is still at VT, seems like they have tried to defend us differently since Fuente got there and haven’t had as much success. Maybe we have made a lot of adjustments against them, not sure.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

2. We have struggled with pass pro since Paul got here. I know running the ball is our bread and butter, but in obvious passing downs, like 3rd and 15, why not let the OL get in a 2 point stance and help them get into pass pro posistion easier and give us more time to throw the ball. Guys coming out of a 3 pt stance in pass pro puts them behind the 8 ball right off the bat and guys just blow by us so much. I understand not to do it on non obvious passing downs to not tip a passing play to the defense but I sure think it would help our passing game in obvious passing downs.

For 1 typically we will use that player as a key for pitch or keep on option plays. We also control the movement of the offense so can shift or move away from a player if they are regularly attempting that strategy. Also if a team has a guy who is fast enough to blow through our gap and disrupt the play then he likely would be able to line up on the edge with normal gap distance and rush from there instead. It's a pick your poison kind of thing, and based off of what we do, it helps us dictate where the pressure will come from.

For 2 I think a lot of this is that we still don't ALWAYS elect to throw on 3rd and 15 or whatever. We still have times where we will run an option or quick sweep there, so not going into a different stance makes sense in my mind (it would help the D both when we were going to pass but also when we weren't) and we don't want to give them anything else when we are already in a 3rd and long situation.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Well they haven’t had a Fuller running through our OL either. But I’m not saying we haven’t had success against them, I just remember a lot of plays getting blown up quickly with both VT with fuller and duke with cash. WiTh them lining up at the LOS and just running right through a wide split.

Even though Foster is still at VT, seems like they have tried to defend us differently since Fuente got there and haven’t had as much success. Maybe we have made a lot of adjustments against them, not sure.
Fuentes came in a told Foster he wasn't allowed to spend half the spring and half the fall camps only massaging his rage boner for defending GT's offense.

VT insiders indicates that prior to Beamer getting the boot, they were spending an inordinate amount of time preparing for our offense - the result was they crushed us, and then struggled with all of the other conventional offenses they saw the rest of the year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the splits are a function of who's playing QB.

When Navy had Wirth at QB and was essentially a midline and QB keeps on the TO offense, they had regular splits. That worked because Wirth was a bruiser of a runner and the BBs were both 240 lb. types that weren't going to break big runs that often. So they put big guys at guard, used regular splits, and ran the ball a la Big 12. But …

When Reynolds was their QB, they used wide splits like we do now. Why? I think it was because Reynolds was and TM is a great runner in the open field. You want to create gaps in the D because it will lead to good things when TM tucks the ball in and goes for it. Also, the wide splits maximize opportunities on the TO by widening the slots. Now, that can lead to pass protection problems and will this year. But TM does a lot of damage when he scrambles and running the occasional draw should keep the disruption at a minimum. Problem = disguising our pass plays does mean that the OLs are at a disadvantage setting up. Solution (and we did this last year) = tighten up the splits. Problem, part deux = that can't be done every time or it telegraphs passing plays.

It's a tradeoff and we'll just have to hope that our OL can make it work. Soon.