GT @ UNC Tonight 8pm EST #RedemptionSong

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
If the team is exciting, the fans will come and if the game is exciting, the fans will cheer. In my opinion, it is entirely up to the team to generate the crowd interest and excitement. Ismail Muhamad made sure of that in the early 2000s and I remember Hewitt remarking in an interview that Muhamad had instructions to dunk everything he could to get the crowd moving.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If the team is exciting, the fans will come and if the game is exciting, the fans will cheer. In my opinion, it is entirely up to the team to generate the crowd interest and excitement. Ismail Muhamad made sure of that in the early 2000s and I remember Hewitt remarking in an interview that Muhamad had instructions to dunk everything he could to get the crowd moving.
Feedback loop.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you want to see how to beat UNC with a small lineup, Miami is destroying them and they are about the same size we are

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I will give you Wardenberg is 6-10 but he hasn't posted anyone all game. Plays like Usher. The rest are 5'11", 6'3", 6'5" and 6'7". Similar to us and smaller at places.

My real point was watch how they play. They play a game of tempo and space - which gets them better shots than we get and then they make them. We play a slow tempo and don't space the court much at all. On D they play with a lot more energy than we do and don't expect their 5'11" guard to switch onto Bacot. But they pressure the ball 10X more than we do.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I was reading through some of the players that used to play for GT and it reminded me just how fortunate we were to have had so much incredible talent. It also left me unable to understand why we can no longer attract that kind of talent level.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That completely misses the importance of him having size.
No - it means you don't get how they/he play BB. He is a stretch 4 who shoots better than Usher but drives the ball hard off of spacing and ball movement. The way they play creates that space for him. Us - not so much.

If I had my druthers we would play Dean Smith's double post system. I enjoy seeing BB played at all 3 levels. But it doesn't mean I have to reflexively say any approach that goes in the opposite direction can't or won't work. The modern game is a lot more about space than size. Howard ain't going to fix that.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Laranagga can coach. Miami has been derailed by injuries the past two years. They will kick our butts this year. The good news is Laranagga is part of the ACC Head BB geriatric crowd. He turns 73 this year. Remarkable how these 70+ coaches keep going strong.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
I was reading through some of the players that used to play for GT and it reminded me just how fortunate we were to have had so much incredible talent. It also left me unable to understand why we can no longer attract that kind of talent level.
Am I correct in thinking it is harder for tech to get a lot of players because of tougher academics?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Am I correct in thinking it is harder for tech to get a lot of players because of tougher academics?
Ever since Vince Dooley negative recruited against Tech using academics this has been the perpetual debate. It’s a lot like negative recruiting against the triple option in that reality no longer matters because the perception is ingrained.