GT-UNC Post-Game Thread

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, what a relief that game is over! I'll take an ugly win any day!

A huge day for Godhigh--he just keeps making guys miss and running through tiny holes and throwing huge blocks. He gets my gameball. Sims was a monster too!

Vad Lee continues to grow and learn, and he played a heckuva game today. He made mistakes, but he didn't let those get him down. He made plays when he needed to, and was clutch down the stretch.

DEFENSE. We have a DEFENSE! They got an assist by the O, but holding UNC to 0 points in the second half was huge.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I remember a couple of years ago, players were asked during spring/fall camp what player they thought would surprise people. On offense, I think almost everyone picked Godhigh.

In the last two games, Vad had shown some jitters in the first quarter. Once he settled down, he played well. I think this game was a great experience for him. He looked fired up in the first quarter where he lost his helmet. Never seen him look mad like that; almost as if his helmet got ripped off by UNC.

I think the downpour caught a lot of our guys off-guard and impacted both teams. Too many fumbles today even though we just lost one.

UNC's defense looked tired as hell at the end of 3rd.

I think it helped us that Ebron was out in the 3rd quarter. Looked like he got hit on his hand. That holding call on Heck was huge. That pass to Switzer would have been really bad.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Honestly i don't think Vad had a good day, but we won and that is the big take away.

Vad will get better....Kudos to our D which came out and held UNC to a big fat goose egg in the 2nd half.

Ugly conditions, Ugly game, Ugly win....but its a WIN!!

Bring on VT.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Wet wet wet...

The first one and a half quarters were tough, but the last two and a half were darn good. :D

Pleasantly surprised with the crowd.

Lots of folks put up with the rain and stayed most of the game.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Looks like there's some griping by UNC fans on their board. One gripe in particular I needed to check into because when I was watching game, I thought (and agreed initially with UNC fans that) we were given a 1st down even though we were short by about a yard based on ESPN's yellow line. So with the goal of being objective, I looked into it and below is the screenshots of what I found.

For anyone that was wondering the same thing, ESPN had the yellow line at the incorrect spot.

Edit: For those that are looking at the yardage numbers on ESPN's play-by-play list, keep in mind two things: 1) a ball can be and is very often marked in between two yard hash marks so in other words, a ball can be marked at approximately the 6.5 or even 6.3 yard "line" and it doesn't get rounded up or down by the refs and 2) ESPN's play-by-play list does round the number to a whole number otherwise what you would see is a player having rushed for 132.5 yards as opposed to 133 yards.

Proof:
georgia_tech_first_down.jpg

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
UNC suffers from little man syndrome.... They have an inflated view of themselves. Georgia Tech is simply better at football then they are.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
CPJ Post-game presser video. This one was about 8 min longer than the audio for some reason.

Edit: This video has CPJ, Louis Young, and David Sims.

Last edited:

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Can we stop bashing Young and Jerry for their lack of play against crap opponents now? Young did a lot off the ball to cause their receivers trouble. Some of the stuff may have been PI, but no one is going to call it.

Jerry was murder on their OL. Anytime they didn't double him they paid the price.

Also glad Waller finally used his height. He could have been 3 ft tall for all he has done for us this season and had the same result.

gtpkt

Jolly Good Fellow
You should post this in more public forum. UNC fans keep pointing to spot VS yellow line as proof of bad spot. It's getting sad.

Looks like there's some griping by UNC fans on their board. One gripe in particular I needed to check into because when I was watching game, I thought we were given a 1st down even though we were short by about a yard according to ESPN's yellow line (which is unofficial).

For anyone that was wondering the same thing, ESPN had the yellow line at the incorrect spot.

Proof:
View attachment 39

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
You should post this in more public forum. UNC fans keep pointing to spot VS yellow line as proof of bad spot. It's getting sad.
This is a public forum. Everyone can read, they just can't post unless they are a member. :)

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
For anyone interested in reading up on adjustments made by the defense and the original gameplan going into Saturday, this is a great read:
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092213aab.html

The Heels run a lot of plays quickly, and in the first two games many of them were wide.

Saturday, UNC had early success running between the tackles (and outside) and passing straight downfield between the hashes rather than swing the ball left and right. The Jackets weren't looking for the vertical approach.

“They're a big perimeter team, usually getting out there running around,” Tech defensive end Jeremiah Attaochu said in summary. “Their game plan, I think they tried to counter that knowing that we know that from film. They ran less screens. They were trying to pound the ball more, and go downfield off play-action.”
Roof and the defensive staff noticed. Here's some of what they decided to do:

# Cheat forward the safeties – chiefly reserves Demond Smith and Domonique Noble as starters Jamal Golden and Chris Milton were lost early to injury, as was middle linebacker Quayshawn Nealy. And remember, long-time starter Isaiah Johnson (knee) remains on the sideline.
# Move up the Tech cornerbacks, have them play more bump coverage, and leave them more frequently in man-to-man coverage.
# Blitz more with linebackers, and perhaps occasionally DBs.
# Pay more attention to the big guy.