GT - Tulane series cancelled

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
GT actually could not have played this any better...We released the news (a little earlier than Tulane wanted) and forced Tulanes hand. The Tulane AD was feeling a lot of heat about this and decided to continue with the series.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it possible that will cost Tulane less to accelerate the construction schedule through overtime or bonuses? I know stadium construction is expensive. I wonder how far behind they are in being ready and whether it is cheaper for them to pay workers extra and avoid the fee payment to GT (IOW, the cost of finishing on time is less than the cost of being late).

Animal02

Banned
Is it possible that will cost Tulane less to accelerate the construction schedule through overtime or bonuses? I know stadium construction is expensive. I wonder how far behind they are in being ready and whether it is cheaper for them to pay workers extra and avoid the fee payment to GT (IOW, the cost of finishing on time is less than the cost of being late).

Probably would be cheaper just to rent the superdome for the day. It cannot be that expensive,

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I must have misunderstood the words used in your initial post:
  • ...allow mid-major teams to jerk you around like this.
  • A prudent athletic department stays on top of risks
  • This is a blunder of EPIC PROPORTIONS by Georgia Tech.
  • You should never, ever be caught unaware like this
  • You don't wait until you get "official" word and then act all shocked and surprised.
  • ... there is something deeply incompetent going on at Georgia Tech right now."
After reading them again, I can see where you were assigning some of the blame on Tulane. :banghead:

It's further down in the thread.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
GT actually could not have played this any better...We released the news (a little earlier than Tulane wanted) and forced Tulanes hand. The Tulane AD was feeling a lot of heat about this and decided to continue with the series.

I wonder if, on the other hand, Tech offered to pay Tulane a ton of money to keep the game on, in which case Tulane couldn't have played this any better.

Buzzwax

Georgia Tech Fan
I wonder if, on the other hand, Tech offered to pay Tulane a ton of money to keep the game on, in which case Tulane couldn't have played this any better.
Interesting point!

For discussion sake would we have rather played Tulane on the road with their return trip in 2015 or played two FSC home games in 2014/2015 and one more tailgating opportunity? From a bowl streak/recruiting in La/Tx perspective, keep Tulane series. From a short term revenue perspective, how much more would another home game against FCS help? Are these games a net gain or loss based on what we have to pay an FCS team to play at Bobby Dodd?

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
If you go to the Tulane poor man's version of GTSwarm (www.yogwf.com), the first few pages really blast their athletic director, but by page 4, there are some Tulane fans saying that Tulane never cancelled it and this issue is all GT's fault (comments like, "I credit the Ga Tech AD for going off half-cocked and making an erroneous statement in the first place."). I'm not buying it, I'm just reporting what SOME of their fans are saying. On a good note from the sight, one of them references the Budweiser song and says "I'm just glad we'll get to experience one of the weirdest traditions in college football in Atlanta a couple of times"

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
So this means that our athletic department didn't actually EPICALLY BLUNDER, right? RIGHT??!?!

anchorman.jpg

You are not holding your breath, right?

Atomic Jacket

Banned
If you go to the Tulane poor man's version of GTSwarm (www.yogwf.com), the first few pages really blast their athletic director, but by page 4, there are some Tulane fans saying that Tulane never cancelled it and this issue is all GT's fault (comments like, "I credit the Ga Tech AD for going off half-cocked and making an erroneous statement in the first place."). I'm not buying it, I'm just reporting what SOME of their fans are saying. On a good note from the sight, one of them references the Budweiser song and says "I'm just glad we'll get to experience one of the weirdest traditions in college football in Atlanta a couple of times"

That's an interesting take from the Tulane side. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth to that. Nothing really would surprise me from the crowd running this show at Tech.

Animal02

Banned
That's an interesting take from the Tulane side. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth to that. Nothing really would surprise me from the crowd running this show at Tech.

And how exactly would Tech benefit from cancelling the contract at this point? $300k for canceling at this late date....for Tulane is peanuts. Even if Tech release the info "premature" it was the right thing to do since Tech was the one getting screwed by it.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
And how exactly would Tech benefit from cancelling the contract at this point? $300k for canceling at this late date....for Tulane is peanuts. Even if Tech release the info "premature" it was the right thing to do since Tech was the one getting screwed by it.

I'm not saying Tech would have benefited. I'm just saying the Tulane guy's theory sounds like something I would expect Tech to do, meaning making announcements without having the story right.