GT - Tulane series cancelled

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
See this is some bulls***...now we're going to have to put an FCS team on there and waste a damn game. We really need to find anyone...ANYONE at the FBS level to fill this spot.
Pretty crazy, all because stadium issues at Tulane. Why don't they just come here this fall and we go there next year? It doesn't make sense to me.

Or play in the Super Dome like they do now!

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Tulane deserves blame too. But they have a smaller football program, so I have lower expectations of their ability to avoid incompetence. No excuse for a BCS level football program the size of Georgia Tech to make a blunder like this.

No, we shouldn't monitor every little detail of every opponent. But I think we should manage risk better. How could Tech not know that a football stadium construction project was behind schedule? That seems like a major risk. If the stadium isn't there, you can't play the game. Its status on gameday is uncertain. You need to communicate with Tulane and get constant updates.

Not our fault.

Our fault if we , all along, have not been trying to find a better OOC game for H & A

Animal02

Banned
http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/01/teams-that-need-2014-non-conference-football-game/

Arkansas State, Buffalo, FIU, Georgia Tech, Houston, Tulane, and UCF.
In addition, there are four teams from the Mountain West that can play a 13-game schedule (5 non-conference games) based on the Hawaii Exemption. Under that rule, teams that play at Hawaii have the option of adding a 13th game to offset travel costs.

Of the four MWC teams playing at Hawaii in 2014 (Nevada, UNLV, Utah State, Wyoming), only Utah State has scheduled a fifth non-conference game.

Pac-12 teams Oregon State and Washington also play at Hawaii in 2014, and only the UW has scheduled an additional non-conference game.

So that leaves Oregon State, Nevada, UNLV, and Wyoming with the option of scheduling an additional game. At this point, it would be unusual for any of these teams to add another game to their schedule.

There could also be another team that will need a non-conference game in 2014. New Mexico State currently has five non-conference games scheduled and needs to postpone/cancel one since they are joining the Sun Belt. The five games scheduled are New Mexico, at UTEP, Cal Poly, at Rice, and at LSU.

Animal02

Banned
Looked at open dates on the 6th.....UCF, FIU, Houston, UNLV and Wyoming are the possibilities.......App State is playing to FCS teams, one on the 6th........might be able to buy that out . Other possibility is to give up the bye week before Miami or UGA

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Would love to play UCF. Then everyone would shut up about bring GOL back. I loved him when he was here, hated him leaving, even more so when Gailey was announced, but that ship has sailed. I personnally respect what he's accomplished, but I think we'd spank them.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
UNLV and Houston get my vote. I would like to stay out of the butthole of Florida, if at all possible., so no UCF.

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
Uhhh what? Looks like game is back on

Tulane University and Georgia Tech are pleased to announce that their previously scheduled football game will be played Sept. 6 in New Orleans,” read the beginning of a statement from Tulane.
Tulane is attempting to complete its new Yulman Stadium in time for the game. If the facility is not ready by that point, the game will be played at the Louisiana Superdome.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/tulane-tech-game-back-on/nc2k3/

GravyTrain

Georgia Tech Fan
So this means that our athletic department didn't actually EPICALLY BLUNDER, right? RIGHT??!?!

anchorman.jpg

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
At least not until you hear that we're footing the bill and supplying summer school senior design civils and architecture majors to complete the stadium project. It was all a cash grab by Tulane and we bought it! We're such suckers!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
See this is some bulls***...now we're going to have to put an FCS team on there and waste a damn game. We really need to find anyone...ANYONE at the FBS level to fill this spot.

Or play in the Super Dome like they do now!

Maybe they read my post...

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
No, actually if you read the thread, I said Tulane deserves blame too.

I'm basing my conclusion on what was written in the article. If Tech was fully prepared, and this was no big deal, then they should have just said so.

I must have misunderstood the words used in your initial post:
  • ...allow mid-major teams to jerk you around like this.
  • A prudent athletic department stays on top of risks
  • This is a blunder of EPIC PROPORTIONS by Georgia Tech.
  • You should never, ever be caught unaware like this
  • You don't wait until you get "official" word and then act all shocked and surprised.
  • ... there is something deeply incompetent going on at Georgia Tech right now."
After reading them again, I can see where you were assigning some of the blame on Tulane. :banghead: