GT - Tulane series cancelled

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
One does not simply sit back and allow mid-major teams to jerk you around like this. A prudent athletic department stays on top of risks, such as the possibility that a football stadium will not be finished in time for you to play there. This is a blunder of EPIC PROPORTIONS by Georgia Tech. You should never, ever be caught unaware like this when it is completely possible to stay on top of progress and verify things for yourself. If Tulane is saying up to the last minute that yes, yes, everything will be ready on time, but your internal sources are telling you that it isn't looking good, YOU TAKE MEASURES NOW. You don't wait until you get "official" word and then act all shocked and surprised. I'm telling you guys, there is something deeply incompetent going on at Georgia Tech right now.

oh good lord

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
One does not simply sit back and allow mid-major teams to jerk you around like this. A prudent athletic department stays on top of risks, such as the possibility that a football stadium will not be finished in time for you to play there. This is a blunder of EPIC PROPORTIONS by Georgia Tech. You should never, ever be caught unaware like this when it is completely possible to stay on top of progress and verify things for yourself. If Tulane is saying up to the last minute that yes, yes, everything will be ready on time, but your internal sources are telling you that it isn't looking good, YOU TAKE MEASURES NOW. You don't wait until you get "official" word and then act all shocked and surprised. I'm telling you guys, there is something deeply incompetent going on at Georgia Tech right now.

I do not necessarily disagree - or agree, I just do not know.
Interesting that the GT release said "Georgia Tech, ... expects to announce the opponent as early as next week."

Next week is pretty soon. Have they, in fact, had something in the works as a backup? Just speculating.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I do not necessarily disagree - or agree, I just do not know.
Interesting that the GT release said "Georgia Tech, ... expects to announce the opponent as early as next week."

Next week is pretty soon. Have they, in fact, had something in the works as a backup? Just speculating.

It's possible. But these are not the words of a department that was completely aware of the risk and had a backup plan ready to go:

"We are extremely disappointed that Tulane has decided to cancel the four-game series with Georgia Tech, beginning with our game in New Orleans next fall," Yellow Jacket senior associate athletic director Ryan Bamford said. "The timing of Tulane's decision (after the ACC schedule was released earlier this week) is especially tough for us."

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
I also don't understand why the schedules couldn't be switched so that this year's game would be played at GT

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As opposed to: there is something wrong at Tulane. I guess we should be monitoring all our opponents continuously just in case. We should also be monitoring the bus company that Wofford intends to use in case they can't get to the game either.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I would offer to go for one away game with no return trip. Maybe somebody that needs another home game and can drop another team they play away. 1 FCS is enough. We can set up the later games with another opponent.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
How do you know they were "caught unaware"? For all we know, Tech knew this was a possibility and has a decent backup plan. They very well could have taken measures as soon as they found out.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
As opposed to: there is something wrong at Tulane. I guess we should be monitoring all our opponents continuously just in case. We should also be monitoring the bus company that Wofford intends to use in case they can't get to the game either.

Tulane deserves blame too. But they have a smaller football program, so I have lower expectations of their ability to avoid incompetence. No excuse for a BCS level football program the size of Georgia Tech to make a blunder like this.

No, we shouldn't monitor every little detail of every opponent. But I think we should manage risk better. How could Tech not know that a football stadium construction project was behind schedule? That seems like a major risk. If the stadium isn't there, you can't play the game. Its status on gameday is uncertain. You need to communicate with Tulane and get constant updates.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
How do you know they were "caught unaware"? For all we know, Tech knew this was a possibility and has a decent backup plan. They very well could have taken measures as soon as they found out.

See my comments above. It's possible, but the quote does not sound like that is the case.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
See my comments above. It's possible, but the quote does not sound like that is the case.

Still standing by your knee-jerk reactoon to blame Tech for everything that went wrong here? Are you always this quick to jump to a conclusion when Tech is involved? I hope you are more fair than that to a school that you claim to a fan of.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Boise will be in town the previous weekend (8/28) at the Dome to play Ole Miss - and they have a TBA on that date in their tentative schedule. Maybe we can get them to just stay in town.

Yeah, I know, just dreaming.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
It's possible. But these are not the words of a department that was completely aware of the risk and had a backup plan ready to go:

"We are extremely disappointed that Tulane has decided to cancel the four-game series with Georgia Tech, beginning with our game in New Orleans next fall," Yellow Jacket senior associate athletic director Ryan Bamford said. "The timing of Tulane's decision (after the ACC schedule was released earlier this week) is especially tough for us."

I don't know that another program will stand there at the end of the aisle waiting for us, just in case somebody else falls through. Who knows that we didn't talk to other schools but they said, we gots to finish out our schedule and we can't wait on you waiting on Tulane any longer.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
Still standing by your knee-jerk reactoon to blame Tech for everything that went wrong here? Are you always this quick to jump to a conclusion when Tech is involved? I hope you are more fair than that to a school that you claim to a fan of.

No, actually if you read the thread, I said Tulane deserves blame too.

I'm basing my conclusion on what was written in the article. If Tech was fully prepared, and this was no big deal, then they should have just said so.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Dang. Here come the Southeastern Central North Carolina Ramcats to Bobby Dodd as a last minute fill-in.
(Fun fact, the Ramcats have a 26-14 record against rival Ovaria women's college).
Go Ramcats!
ram%2Bcat.jpg