GT - Tulane post game thread

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Can one be at a massive talent disadvantage and never be held to a 3 and out? Only have to punt twice? Hold the other team to only 7 first half points not directly from turnovers?

We deserved to lose. Our run defense looked more spongy (like the Tulane of old rather than last year). Our Freshman QB made freshmen mistakes (3 pics). Our coach continues to be a weak game day coach. And our kicking game is as bad as its ever been. You earned the win fair and square. And I think you are actually a pretty talented team (I'd pick you to win 8 games this year). But I wouldn't say yesterday that you clearly had an "advantage" yesterday. I saw a Tulane team that could have taken a big halftime lead over you if we didn't keep tripping over ourselves.

Both our QB's made mistakes. It's going to happen but what worries me is that your QB had plenty of time. A experience QB would pick us apart I'm afraid. Good Luck the rest of the way and enjoyed your visit here.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Boy did we shoot ourselves in the foot alot today. That was a brutal game to watch. Very sloppy play by JT. What happened to those nice passes I saw last week? I sure am glad their QB decided to gift wrap us a few today. 2nd half D Looked better, but the backup QB couldnt exploit us in the pass game. Glad we got the W on the road. They need to figure out how they want to broadcast games from here on out. Watching on TV wasnt very good. Awful angles and couldnt follow the ball easily.

With the smallish stadium they have the angles can't be improved much without building a taller tower just for TV cameras. The tallest part of their stadium may have been no higher above the field than our lower West stands.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nice commentary waveprof. We will lose too this year and usually blame it on ourselves. The funny thing I've noticed about CFB is that the other team seems to want to win too. (tic)

Tulane played sloppy and so did we with 3 TOs each. Your team had a lot more penalties. That coaching call to go for it on fourth at the end of the half when you are tied and getting the ball to start the second half was inexcusable. Our FG kicker would have made it from 60 (the LOS).

Also, the heat seemed to get to the Tulane players more. We had a scorcher in our first game and ATL is every bit as warm, just less humid than NO.

I noticed that you had a lot of no shows in the expensive season ticket seats on the home side (behind our bench). We see that a lot too when the weather is hot. Too bad because you could have used more people there.

Nice commentary waveprof. We will lose too this year and usually blame it on ourselves. The funny thing I've noticed about CFB is that the other team seems to want to win too. (tic)

Tulane played sloppy and so did we with 3 TOs each. Your team had a lot more penalties. That coaching call to go for it on fourth at the end of the half when you are tied and getting the ball to start the second half was inexcusable. Our FG kicker would have made it from 60 (the LOS).

Also, the heat seemed to get to the Tulane players more. We had a scorcher in our first game and ATL is every bit as warm, just less humid than NO.

I noticed that you had a lot of no shows in the expensive season ticket seats on the home side (behind our bench). We see that a lot too when the weather is hot. Too bad because you could have used more people there.
Those people were probably in the lounges, just like those in the Club Level seats in Atlanta always are. Pitiful fans in my opinion.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
White's walkoff looked like cramps on TV but concerned that he never returned to the game and I believe he was out for the whole second half.
I saw White walk back to the Tech sideline in the 4th quarter, so I am guessing cramps and probably got some IV fluids in the locker room.

slugboy

Staff member
Waveprof, No disrespect intended on the talent comment and not trying to be negative, but I guess I'm impatiently waiting for us to put it all together.
We shed a lot of players this season. We may have better chemistry, but can you have a couple of middling recruiting classes, and lose a lot of players, and have tight admission standards, and still claim a talent advantage?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Our last two games have reminded me a lot of when Tevin took over for Josh. Everyone could see the opportunities when TW took the field, but the execution wasn't there at first. That, of course, was because Tevin was new at the job.

I think some people thought that JT, with his really remarkable physical talent, would take us to new heights right away. So far he's been as variable as Tevin was at first. That's pretty much what I expected; he still needs to have that one game where everything goes well against a well matched opponent. Right now, he's playing well enough to win, but, as he himself has said, not up to snuff. It'll come. When is anyone's guess, however.

And, on another front, Laskey averaged 7.2 ypc. 845 yards to go and just about on schedule. And he'll get more opportunity as the blocking gets better.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Can one be at a massive talent disadvantage and never be held to a 3 and out? Only have to punt twice? Hold the other team to only 7 first half points not directly from turnovers?

We deserved to lose. Our run defense looked more spongy (like the Tulane of old rather than last year). Our Freshman QB made freshmen mistakes (3 pics). Our coach continues to be a weak game day coach. And our kicking game is as bad as its ever been. You earned the win fair and square. And I think you are actually a pretty talented team (I'd pick you to win 8 games this year). But I wouldn't say yesterday that you clearly had an "advantage" yesterday. I saw a Tulane team that could have taken a big halftime lead over you if we didn't keep tripping over ourselves.

Thanks for your perspective. Keep your fan passions burning. I know y'all are disappointed about losing a game that you thought you could win, but I hope you appreciate that many GT fans are just as disappointed by only a 17 pt margin.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As a long time observer of GSU, they may beat us, but I highly doubt it. Their defense is not that good historically and they tend to give up a bunch of big plays. I know they beat UF last year, but that was a perfect storm, similar to the way we lost to MTSU.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am really excited to get the WIN! Tulane has talent...

We obviously have some things to clean up on offense but I am optimistic about those things going forward. The DL is worrying me. I am not seeing the DT's get enough pressure up the middle.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@waveprof.....Tulane showed to have a bit more talent than I expected. Not sure if that is because they are a little better than I anticipated or if we are a little worse than I think. We were lucky we didn't go into the half down two touchdowns. Tulane played hard. Good luck the rest of the way.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@waveprof.....Tulane showed to have a bit more talent than I expected. Not sure if that is because they are a little better than I anticipated or if we are a little worse than I think. We were lucky we didn't go into the half down two touchdowns. Tulane played hard. Good luck the rest of the way.

Somebody went to church today.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Random thoughts after re-watching the game.
-It was nice to see KO go out of the endzone.
-Great to see a backup center come into the game and the O doesn't miss a beat.
-AB and WR continue to block well.
-Young guys on D made a few mistakes but I like what I see.
-A couple of times JT made it to the corner and there was nobody there but still pitch.
-JT needs to threaten his guy a little bit more before he pitches.

thwgjacket

You forget that we tripped over ourselves the entire first half as well. We missed a FG and had two fumbles in the first half, or did you miss those? We then proceeded to come out and bury Tulane. There was a clear talent advantage and it showed in the 2nd half. Also held the "talented RB" to basically nothing.