GT - Syracuse game thoughts

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Where to start...

- Chris Milton is killing it on special teams...huge block that gave us momentum and we never looked back. He has three this year!

- Syracuse had the dumbest game plan that I have seen in a long time. Made it so easy for us.

- Jay Finch had a MONSTER day...He dominated the NG and put him wherever he wanted to. Was fun to watch that.

- Really can't say enough about the defense...I know Syracuse has a poor offense but our defense has made huge strides since last season.

- At DB Young had a good day.

- DJ White is very good in coverage. Will be a good player for us next year.

- What a game by Nealy. He dominated all day.

- Was shocked to see Harrell get the start...He showed why though. Had a huge game and was everywhere. Sadly we lost him for the year though.

- Everyone got to see the speed on Thomas finally...he was gone on his TD run.

- NO PENALTIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Ted Roof asked to be back in the box...seemed to work well.

- Really not a ton to say about this game...We did whatever we wanted to on both sides of the ball. Impressive performance by our guys.

- I am sure I missed a lot of things...feel free to add your thoughts.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Thanks for the reminder for Young's good play. A couple of the folks at the game and i commented that he seemed to be playing "smarter" and not going for the "spectacular" that too often ends up as DOH!

Heard CPJ comment that Roof can be on the field or in the box and that it was up to Ted to decide... doubt if he's on the field during the game in Charlottesville. :)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not an expert and haven't gone back to watch the game, but I read that they came in and played a double-eagle D against us. IIRC, that's what CU ran against us in 2011. It's like they did no real homework. There's a reason why almost every ACC team has followed vpi in running the Iowa D.

gtdrew

Banned
I thought Vad benefitted this week from having some of his reads predetermined for him. I thought it was pretty clear that there were "option" plays in which he was being told before the play what to do. A couple of his longer keepers he didn't carry out the dive read as long as normal and went ahead and took the corner, beating the qb defender to the outside. Nice wrinkle there, I thought...

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
Great game. I was nervous in the beginning because of the size on Syracuse d line. But the offensive line did a great job, particularly the three interior lineman. Days is a blocking machine as well.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought Vad benefitted this week from having some of his reads predetermined for him. I thought it was pretty clear that there were "option" plays in which he was being told before the play what to do. A couple of his longer keepers he didn't carry out the dive read as long as normal and went ahead and took the corner, beating the qb defender to the outside. Nice wrinkle there, I thought...
It definitely benefited Vad, but unfortunately was what caused that INT by Smelter.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Hard to judge this game being that Syracuse basically gifted wrapped it to us with a horrible defensive scheme and poor coaching.

Vad played well. I think in the off season he needs to get in the gym on some Jerry Rice type conditioning drills, he looks gassed out there a lot. He also seemed to have lost some speed, I'm not sure if that's do to the hits he's taking, or the fact that so much stress is put on him to perform highly in this offense.
Maybe playing JT more to spell Vad would allow him to get a breather, but I really hate to break up any rhythm when Vad is moving the offense, ie Miami & in the first half against Syracuse. Another thing is that the BB position has lacked explosiveness and is very inconsistent at leading the offense, maybe moving Perkins back to BB would add a spark to the offense and take some pressure off Vad. Getting the ball in Godhigh's hands more could help as well.

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It was a predetermined read for Smelter to throw that ball to Darren Waller. He could have just as easily just not made the throw and run it for quite a bit. Darren Waller was never open on the play.

Then CPJ threw Smelter under the bus b/c he said in the postgame radio interview That Smelter had the option to throw to Waller, Godhigh, or Vad...or run it.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I have to disagree with everyone's opinion on Syracuse defensive scheme. I will say they should have changed it up a little and made some halftime adjustments. But they had a solid approach, just didn't execute and CPJ didn't call pass plays. No false starts helped as well.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have to disagree with everyone's opinion on Syracuse defensive scheme. I will say they should have changed it up a little and made some halftime adjustments. But they had a solid approach, just didn't execute and CPJ didn't call pass plays. No false starts helped as well.
If Finch doesn't own their NT, their DC looks like a genius. A team with a stud NT could play that scheme and own us.