GT secondary ranked #103 by PFF

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Linky thingy

Quote for the non clickers:
Entering the year there were some big concerns with Georgia Tech’s coverage unit outside of the safety duo of Juanyeh Thomas and Tariq Carpenter, but those two have surprisingly been the biggest issues. Those two earned coverage grades of 80.8 and 77.4, respectively, last season. This year, the duo have lowered those marks to 58.8 and 47.4.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
But the secondary is ranked better than our offensive line which comes in at #123. Another linky thingy.

True freshman quarterback Jeff Sims invites in his fair share of pressure when he shouldn’t, but the offensive line as a whole is doing him no favors. Even when the Yellow Jackets have faced a subpar ACC pass-rush this season, the offensive line has put together a poor performance. All five linemen with at least 100 snaps this season have allowed double-digit pressures, and every single one has a PFF grade below 55.0.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Linky thingy

Quote for the non clickers:
Entering the year there were some big concerns with Georgia Tech’s coverage unit outside of the safety duo of Juanyeh Thomas and Tariq Carpenter, but those two have surprisingly been the biggest issues. Those two earned coverage grades of 80.8 and 77.4, respectively, last season. This year, the duo have lowered those marks to 58.8 and 47.4.
Yup, mentioned it in another thread but those two have easily been the biggest disappointment to me this season.

We’ve got plenty of issues in s, but that seemed to be the biggest (which is bad due to the state of our DL)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Secondary has been the BIGGEST disappointment IMO. That's where we recruited the most talent, that's also where CPJ left CGC the most talent. On top of that, CGC prides himself on personally coaching DBs and putting DBs into the League. Our fundamentals for the secondary is pretty bad. CBs and safety play has been overall not to the level I expected.

I've said it for years, Thomas and Carpenter are a step slow and do not read the game as well as safeties on this level need to. Both would make outstanding LBs, but in the open field they get exposed. Should have been LBs years ago...even under CPJ.

Deleted member 2897

Unpopular opinion, and I’m not saying that those positions couldn’t have played better, but sometimes the PFF grades are an inexact science too. I’m not sure are quality of okay is that poor.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Is it talent, or is it coaching? The most 4 star recruits are in our defensive secondary.
Safety play has been bad but it has a lot to do with pass rush. We have to send the house to get any pressure and Thacker plays a lot of man. When a QB gets plenty of time he will make the secondary look bad.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
When I heard Tariq had gained weight up to 240 (in the "team weight-gain" program) I knew we had a problem.The pair of Ss helped the CBs very little this yr . also JT esp is a bad tackler-missing that tackle on TD run by Syr guy set stage for that terrible loss.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Safety play has been bad but it has a lot to do with pass rush. We have to send the house to get any pressure and Thacker plays a lot of man. When a QB gets plenty of time he will make the secondary look bad.

Our fundamentals are bad, ball positioning and awareness, not using the sidelines to our advantage, use of leverage, tackling...especially our safeties who are our last line. Things like that are not talent issues, that's a coaching issue.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I've said it for years, Thomas and Carpenter are a step slow and do not read the game as well as safeties on this level need to. Both would make outstanding LBs, but in the open field they get exposed. Should have been LBs years ago...even under CPJ.
I agree, but the observation somewhat summarizes recruiting under Johnson. Those guys aren't big enough to play LB at the P5 level, and are too slow to play S. They would do fine at FCS or maybe G5. But you can extrapolate that observation to other positions as well. We are in a deep talent hole that will take at least one more recruiting class-plus development time--to dig out of.

Collins felt like Swilling was the only CB who was good enough to play at this level--despite what the stars may say. I'd actually say he's done a pretty good job of improving Walton.

Jacketman

Jolly Good Fellow
When I heard Tariq had gained weight up to 240 (in the "team weight-gain" program) I knew we had a problem.The pair of Ss helped the CBs very little this yr . also JT esp is a bad tackler-missing that tackle on TD run by Syr guy set stage for that terrible loss.
Yep, put on too much weight IMO. Great for an LB but not a S, who needs to be able to run down the field and cover.