GT Ranked 48th in Preseason SP+ Projections

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
That 1973 ice storm was a doozy for sure. I still can hear the pine tree limbs snapping. Almost every time whenever I smell pine I think back to that night/day. The air in our neighborhood was thick with that smell.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Funny. As I watch what has happened in Texas and all those people being helpless. I am reminded of the Ice Storm in Atlanta in 1973. We had no power for 5 days and could not drive. We had plenty of food, cooked over the fire and had fun. Times have changed.
A little bit different circumstance, but similar situation. That 1973 ice storm took down power lines all over the Atlanta (fortunately we had natural gas in our fireplace and stove) but the ability to generate electricity was not compromised. In Texas it seems to be just the opposite - the power lines are in place, but the power company is unable to actually generate electricity. Speaking only for myself; I can easily understand the first circumstance (I can see the cables lying in the road), but would be furious about the 2nd because the circumstances are predictable and avoidable).

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
That 1973 ice storm was a doozy for sure. I still can hear the pine tree limbs snapping. Almost every time whenever I smell pine I think back to that night/day. The air in our neighborhood was thick with that smell.
Sounded like gun shots

drdfk

Georgia Tech Fan
A little bit different circumstance, but similar situation. That 1973 ice storm took down power lines all over the Atlanta (fortunately we had natural gas in our fireplace and stove) but the ability to generate electricity was not compromised. In Texas it seems to be just the opposite - the power lines are in place, but the power company is unable to actually generate electricity. Speaking only for myself; I can easily understand the first circumstance (I can see the cables lying in the road), but would be furious about the 2nd because the circumstances are predictable and avoidable).
I saw an article a couple of days ago; I’m obviously unable to verify it. It said Texas has It’s own power grid, but the amount of production is still controlled by the feds. The Texas grid usually runs at about 60% of capacity. Prior to the storm Texas officials petitioned the feds to let them increase their production. The article said they were denied by the feds.
If this is true I think Texas should have told the feds where to stick their denial.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I saw an article a couple of days ago; I’m obviously unable to verify it. It said Texas has It’s own power grid, but the amount of production is still controlled by the feds. The Texas grid usually runs at about 60% of capacity. Prior to the storm Texas officials petitioned the feds to let them increase their production. The article said they were denied by the feds.
If this is true I think Texas should have told the feds where to stick their denial.
Texas didn’t winterize when they had a chance. Equipment froze that doesn’t even freeze in Canada.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Here's to Texas:

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd be interested in that article. Everything I've seen says that ERCOT is in charge of the grid there. The main reason for establishing ERCOT was to be able to ignore federal regulations that control the connected grids.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just a friendly reminder to not let the discussion of Texas and/or its energy policy go on further here. If you wish to discuss further, take it to the lounge. Specifically the political topics area if you think it will end up going in that direction. many thanks!

slugboy

Staff member
I thought it was interesting to go to the list of players, and sort by rating (highest at the top): https://247sports.com/Team/Georgia-Tech-9/Roster/

Clayton is #1 on the list, followed by Gibbs. Jaz Lee, Graham, and David Curry are on the 247 roster, among others who have left or graduated, and it’s missing transfers as well. The upper end of the list is heavy on freshmen and sophomores. We are still YOUNG.

You’ll be shocked that we are recruiting RBs and DBs very well and also DEs. Our OL recruiting has improved (if you care about ratings and rankings). We have some highly rated WRs also.

The talent rankings are probably out of date, and they don’t show how well distributed our talent is (we seem to need to get two RBs on the field in a bad way).

Also, what the heck is FSU doing? They’re taking underperformance to epic levels.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I thought it was interesting to go to the list of players, and sort by rating (highest at the top): https://247sports.com/Team/Georgia-Tech-9/Roster/

Clayton is #1 on the list, followed by Gibbs. Jaz Lee, Graham, and David Curry are on the 247 roster, among others who have left or graduated, and it’s missing transfers as well. The upper end of the list is heavy on freshmen and sophomores. We are still YOUNG.

You’ll be shocked that we are recruiting RBs and DBs very well and also DEs. Our OL recruiting has improved (if you care about ratings and rankings). We have some highly rated WRs also.

The talent rankings are probably out of date, and they don’t show how well distributed our talent is (we seem to need to get two RBs on the field in a bad way).

Also, what the heck is FSU doing? They’re taking underperformance to epic levels.
I don't think they will update to 2021 until late summer when rosters are set. That must be when the 2020 was calculated.