GT Ranked 48th in Preseason SP+ Projections

Nearly everyone on the team now never played in a flex bone system and according to experts they are pretty talented. There is no legitimate reason for them to win 3 games this year or either of the next two years unless the coaching is terrible. If we aren’t willing to even put pressure on our coaches when they are doing a terrible job then we either cant afford to or we simply don’t care to anymore.
lol....98% of the players CPJ recruited never had played in his system. That is why I laugh at our current staff claiming that this is the biggest transition ever.....lol...

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
lol....98% of the players CPJ recruited never had played in his system. That is why I laugh at our current staff claiming that this is the biggest transition ever.....lol...

The funny thing about his system is the players that did play in the system, often were not d1 caliber players anyway and their high schools were running the system because they didn't land those big players because of the luck of the draw (house buying) I know mine ran the flex without even running the option because of that, we had a slow as **** QB but he could throw so it was all flex run schemes, traps, sweeps, wing counters and a run and shoot passing game.... we had 1 NFL caliber player my entire career and he was an OLB.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Nearly everyone on the team now never played in a flex bone system and according to experts they are pretty talented. There is no legitimate reason for them to win 3 games this year or either of the next two years unless the coaching is terrible. If we aren’t willing to even put pressure on our coaches when they are doing a terrible job then we either cant afford to or we simply don’t care to anymore.

Depth. It matters. We don't have enough talent yet.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We have to be the only program in the country that would allow 3-5 three win seasons before a coaches seat even warms up a bit.
It has been that way for as long as I can remember. Poor Willie T got canned at FSU half way through his second season. The Florida fans and media were on Ron Zook before he had time to put his first picture up in his office. In fact, "fireronzook.com" was the first (as far as I know) website devoted exclusively to getting rid of him and it was up and going before the first season was half way done. As for Coach Collins, he is not going anywhere anytime soon, we can't afford to buy out his contract and anyway that is not how Tech does things. Of greater concern is the possible ramifications of a third bad year in a row on recruiting and fan support. Once these things get out of hand it is hard to get the train back on the track.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It has been that way for as long as I can remember. Poor Willie T got canned at FSU half way through his second season. The Florida fans and media were on Ron Zook before he had time to put his first picture up in his office. In fact, "fireronzook.com" was the first (as far as I know) website devoted exclusively to getting rid of him and it was up and going before the first season was half way done. As for Coach Collins, he is not going anywhere anytime soon, we can't afford to buy out his contract and anyway that is not how Tech does things. Of greater concern is the possible ramifications of a third bad year in a row on recruiting and fan support. Once these things get out of hand it is hard to get the train back on the track.
I agree, Collins is going to be here for a while. He will eventually build up to the 6-7 win level (possibly this year) and then will be judged on whether he can break the glass ceiling to the 8-9 win level. I was just speaking in hypotheticals if the team were to remain as bad as it is now which I don't think will happen. If we are awful this year then I would guess multiple assistants get let go. Another awful year after that, well we will see. Like you said, fan support will be pretty non existent at that point.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The decision to move away from the 3O meant we were going to have to give a contract longer than normal. There were not many coaches lining up to take this job knowing the transition that was needed. There was no way GT was going to hire a coach and put him on the hot seat after 2 seasons. I don't see Collins being here any less than 5 years.
I think Collins understands he needs to show some improvement and win more games, mainly for fan support. I fully believe that is the reason we went hard at the transfer market. Those players will help us sooner than true freshmen would have. I actually feel a lot better about next year with the transfers we have coming in than if we signed 24 freshmen.

The decision to move away from the 3O meant we were going to have to give a contract longer than normal. There were not many coaches lining up to take this job knowing the transition that was needed. There was no way GT was going to hire a coach and put him on the hot seat after 2 seasons. I don't see Collins being here any less than 5 years.
I think Collins understands he needs to show some improvement and win more games, mainly for fan support. I fully believe that is the reason we went hard at the transfer market. Those players will help us sooner than true freshmen would have. I actually feel a lot better about next year with the transfers we have coming in than if we signed 24 freshmen.
I think Collins could succeed at Tech if he does two things. 1. Replace his current offensive coordinator and get one that can put in a system that will work for Tech, not the current shotgun spread. 2. introduce a bit more discipline in the team. This is just my opinion, but when I was at the Pitt game in 2019 and we are losing, he has players on the sideline dancing up on chairs rubbing towels between their legs like strippers.....nope....not good. I think then he could get us back to a 7 win team with maybe a few surprise seasons.....our historical norm.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah...Remember when they went after Fridge and George during the Vatacunus(SP?) incident.
For those who don't remember a third string O lineman was made to run the ball against the D line with out blocking....this was to show him what it was like for a running back when a block was missed.... he cried to his mommy and the Press went full assault on Tech.
The Atlanta press loves to kick Tech.
If you don't see that then you either haven't been paying attention or you haven't been around for long.
He also made him stay in a storage shed or something like that for the whole practice in the summer heat? I don't remember all the details, but it was more than just having to run against the DL unblocked. Hell, as a RB, I had to run against unblocked LBs and DLs every practice. Sometimes it was 2 on 1. If you made the first guy miss, the second one creamed you.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nearly everyone on the team now never played in a flex bone system and according to experts they are pretty talented.
You're right. Most of them are still pretty young though, especially at certain key positions. Talent doesn't necessarily trump experience. But, time cures that, and then you have talent and experience. That leads to wins.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You're right. Most of them are still pretty young though, especially at certain key positions. Talent doesn't necessarily trump experience. But, time cures that, and then you have talent and experience. That leads to wins.

No, but they did practice it, and only it, for years and years.

I'm starting to realize that the only thing that is going to solve these arguments is the sheer passage of time. You are spot on here, and the GTAA and the boosters are not likely to make any major changes in the next two years unless the wheels come flying off the bus. Somewhere after the 2022 or 2023 season we will have a clear picture of this teams ability under CGC. Until then, we can message board all we want, but the powers that be are playing the long game here. At that point, we will be able to finally lay to rest some of the silliness that we perpetuate right now.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to realize that the only thing that is going to solve these arguments is the sheer passage of time. You are spot on here, and the GTAA and the boosters are not likely to make any major changes in the next two years unless the wheels come flying off the bus. Somewhere after the 2022 or 2023 season we will have a clear picture of this teams ability under CGC. Until then, we can message board all we want, but the powers that be are playing the long game here. At that point, we will be able to finally lay to rest some of the silliness that we perpetuate right now.
I think where we differ is in the wheels coming off the bus. I would consider 3-4 years of three wins to be wheels are coming off the bus. Only once in the history of our program have we had three straight seasons of three or less wins and that was in the 1930's. You aren't just bad at that point, you are one of the worst teams in the history of the program and one of the worst teams in the country.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think where we differ is in the wheels coming off the bus. I would consider 3-4 years of three wins to be wheels are coming off the bus. Only once in the history of our program have we had three straight seasons of three or less wins and that was in the 1930's. You aren't just bad at that point, you are one of the worst teams in the history of the program and one of the worst teams in the country.

I understand, but that goes back to the message board aspect. We can gripe and moan ad nauseum but it's not going to change a thing. In the end, it matters very little what you and I think but rather what TStan and the boosters think. They have shown their willingness to be patient, hence the 7 year contract from the get go.

I understand, but that goes back to the message board aspect. We can gripe and moan ad nauseum but it's not going to change a thing. In the end, it matters very little what you and I think but rather what TStan and the boosters think. They have shown their willingness to be patient, hence the 7 year contract from the get go.
Funny you are saying this. I spoke with my new ticketing guy at Tech and introduced myself. He had been emailing me about talking to him. I went into my family's past of 90 years of Tech tickets etc. The conversation changed and I said it seems that the base is divided in two camps. He said that yes it is and the camps are no different than what is happening on the Swarm. What we are doing and saying goes well into the fans. In my opinion this is a result of two things. First being a 3 win team for two years and second, the way CGC came in and basically put down his predecessor, thus angering the CPJ crowd. But that being said, winning solves everything and winning soon, not in 3 years....like next year.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Funny you are saying this. I spoke with my new ticketing guy at Tech and introduced myself. He had been emailing me about talking to him. I went into my family's past of 90 years of Tech tickets etc. The conversation changed and I said it seems that the base is divided in two camps. He said that yes it is and the camps are no different than what is happening on the Swarm. What we are doing and saying goes well into the fans. In my opinion this is a result of two things. First being a 3 win team for two years and second, the way CGC came in and basically put down his predecessor, thus angering the CPJ crowd. But that being said, winning solves everything and winning soon, not in 3 years....like next year.

How was CPJ “basically put down”? Sound like you and CPJ both have thin-skinned

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Not disagreeing with you. The fanbase is very divided right now. The boosters and TStan are pretty much in lockstep though, and they are the decision makers.