Article GT Preview: Wide Receiver

gtdrew

Banned
This is the unknown. The Bermuda Triangle of position groups at the Institute in 2013. The current ramblinwreck.com depth chart lists Darren Waller and Corey Dennis as the starters, but I think the auditions for more more touches at this position will go well into the season, with DeAndre Smelter, Travin Henry, and Michael Summers all vying for playing time as well. This position was hurt tremendously by the departure of temperamental but precociously gifted youngster Jeff Greene, and the season jeopardizing injury to Anthony Autry, but hope springs eternal. Another thing to watch will be the integration of A-backs, particularly BJ Bostic, into the slot out of the pistol/shotgun sets.

Starters: Darren Waller, DeAndre Smelter
Backups: Corey Dennis, Travin Henry
One to watch: BJ Bostic

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Here is how I think it will stack up come week 1

Darren Waller
Travin Henry
DeAndre Smelter
Mike Summers
Antonio Messick
Corey Dennis
Ricky Jeune (RS)

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
Eric have you heard anything about Smelter's progress and how he is doing? Great to see Travin working in there.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My prediction FWIW:

Darren Waller; Micheal Summers
Travin Henry; DeAndre Smelter

Corey Dennis

Messick and Jeaune RedShirt at least to start the season. I agree that Messick seems more ready to play this year than Jeune.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Hopefully against Elon, we will get to see a lot of passing and get a good gauge of who is able to create separation and catch the ball. If they can't hack it against Elon's secondary, we are going to be in world of trouble.......
Here's hoping Darren Waller is able to put it all together and be able to live up to his potential. If he can just focus on catching the ball, we are going to be in good shape.