Article GT Preview: Quarterback

gtdrew

Banned
I've often heard it said that the "most popular man on campus (sic) is the backup quarterback." Never in the history of modern sport has that been more true than in the case of sophomore Lavaedae "Vad" Lee. Many fans of Georgia Tech football clamored for increased play time for Lee while growing frustrated with the steady, often unremarkable play of Senior incumbent Tevin Washington. This year, the position is Lee's to lose. Showing flashes of brilliance in contests against UNC and BYU, Lee had observers salivating with his rifle armed passes (usually to WR Anthony Autry) and brash runs in his spot duty last year. This offseason, the wind on North Avenue has carried rumors of increased Pistol and Shotgun formation looks to further cater to Lee's strengths as a quarterback, and he has shown himself a willing team leader during 7 on 7 matchups this summer. However, like his predecessor, Lee also can't escape the extensive hype of HIS backup: jitterbugging RS freshman Justin Thomas. Thomas has the better straightline speed, but a substantial read on his passing abilities was difficult to glean from either his highlight film or his spring game appearance. One of the fastest recruits in the southeast as a high schooler, Thomas journeyed from Alabama when coach Johnson promised him a shot to play quarterback, something mythical University of Alabama coach Nick Saban wouldn't guarantee the young man. So many fans wait with bated breath for Thomas to ascend from under-center for the first time against live competition this season. For now, Lee is the clear starter, and based on the noticable uptick in effort from his teammates when he took the field last year, it will take an edict from Dodd Himself to usurp him from that spot this season. But don't be surprised if Thomas sees spot duty, or if certain packages have been installed to tae advantage of his blinding speed this season. In a make or break year for this coaching staff, all bets are off.

Starter: Vad Lee
Backup: Justin Thomas
Keep an eye on: Tim Byerly

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Vad is on some Tebow level leadership. I mentioned this about Vad earlier in the year, he just has that intangible it factor.

http://www.ajc.com/gallery/sports/c...ets-visit-ronald-mcdonald-hous/gCCG5/#3672260

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-tech/2013/jul/23/3-takeaways-acc-media-days/

3. Will Jackson has a high opinion of Vad Lee.
The Tech guard praised the Jackets quarterback for how he has begun to assert his leadership. He said Lee "runs the ball extremely well" and called him as good of a passer as the Jackets have had, or better, since he came to Tech in 2009 (which, granted, does not carry the same weight that it would if Jackson were playing for USC or Stanford, but still).
“I think he can be a very, very special player in this offense,” Jackson said.
That wasn’t the best part, though.
“I think mentally and how he is off the field, if I had a son, I’d want him to be like Vad Lee," Jackson said. "He’s almost a perfect human being. He has impeccable character.”
Jackson paused to consider the weight of his statement.
“I guess I’m putting a lot of pressure on him, calling him Jesus.”

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
That is the thing I love most about Vad...his uncanny ability to be a leader. He is just born with that.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I've often heard it said that the "most popular man on campus (sic) is the backup quarterback." Never in the history of modern sport has that been more true than in the case of sophomore Lavaedae "Vad" Lee. Many fans of Georgia Tech football clamored for increased play time for Lee while growing frustrated with the steady, often unremarkable play of Senior incumbent Tevin Washington. This year, the position is Lee's to lose. Showing flashes of brilliance in contests against UNC and BYU, Lee had observers salivating with his rifle armed passes (usually to WR Anthony Autry) and brash runs in his spot duty last year. This offseason, the wind on North Avenue has carried rumors of increased Pistol and Shotgun formation looks to further cater to Lee's strengths as a quarterback, and he has shown himself a willing team leader during 7 on 7 matchups this summer. However, like his predecessor, Lee also can't escape the extensive hype of HIS backup: jitterbugging RS freshman Justin Thomas. Thomas has the better straightline speed, but a substantial read on his passing abilities was difficult to glean from either his highlight film or his spring game appearance. One of the fastest recruits in the southeast as a high schooler, Thomas journeyed from Alabama when coach Johnson promised him a shot to play quarterback, something mythical University of Alabama coach Nick Saban wouldn't guarantee the young man. So many fans wait with bated breath for Thomas to ascend from under-center for the first time against live competition this season. For now, Lee is the clear starter, and based on the noticable uptick in effort from his teammates when he took the field last year, it will take an edict from Dodd Himself to usurp him from that spot this season. But don't be surprised if Thomas sees spot duty, or if certain packages have been installed to tae advantage of his blinding speed this season. In a make or break year for this coaching staff, all bets are off.

Starter: Vad Lee
Backup: Justin Thomas
Keep an eye on: Tim Byerly

GREAT POST!!!!

UrinatesOnDawgs

Georgia Tech Fan
Vad is the man. Paul will always provoke the inevitable QB battle, But in this case it's only to fuel the clear starter . My thought, JT has about as good a chance to be the number 1 as Michael J Fox has to draw a straight line...

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Vad is the man. Paul will always provoke the inevitable QB battle, But in this case it's only to fuel the clear starter . My thought, JT has about as good a chance to be the number 1 as Michael J Fox has to draw a straight line...

I don't agree with that...Vad isn't a kid that needs that kind of motivation. Thomas will be on the field in some packages this year. He is too gifted not be...I think the combo of Thomas and Lee is going to keep some DC's up late at night.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
In my recruiting these 3 very intriguing qbs. I look at the star system, the offers, and their ability to run our to. In my humble opinion I give a number from a low of 2 to 5. First Byerly gets a high 3. He ran a like offense in high school. His team went undefeated, and he was that classifications player of the year. Lee was rated a high 3 or low 4 star by the experts. He had some very good offers as a qb. He was on another undefeated team and player of the year in no Carolina. A good but not great hs. fb. state. He ran the shotgun!! His rating by the experts is for any regular college offense. Considering our 2013 offense, and his propensity for the shotgun. With his ability and leadership qualities I give a high 4 rating. That is a GOOD rating! Now for Thomas. JT again led his team to an undefeated season. He was also the player of the year. I rate Alabama hs. football a good deal better than No. Carolina's. He was rated a 4 star as a defensive back or wide receiver. As a qb. he wasn't even rated that I know of. He ran the shotgun. He was one of the fastest high school players in the country. He had a great offer list. Alabama took his committment as a defensive back VERY early in that year's process. The only thing printed in the ajc on spring practice was that he made 2 very long runs in only 2 days. Some of his team mates are quoted as he is electric with a strong arm. Now I rate him as quarterback that fits our system as I did the other two. All this taken into consideration with the shotgun,pistol. and the to. I give him the highest 5 that I could give. Gentlemen; we have the most quality and potential prospects as we have EVER had a single Ga. Tech team. At least in my life of 67 years. Any of the 3 are great prospects!! May the best win the job!!

UrinatesOnDawgs

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think its relevant what type of O Vad ran in HS because hes been here for 2 years now. But i agree, with these 3 QBs, we should be solid for the next few seasons

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the full-time job goes to the first QB that shows that the light bulb went on. I think either Lee or Thomas will end up being the full-time starter for the next 3-4 years. I also think that Thomas' playing time will be predicated on how well Vad plays and how well JT "gets it". Unfortunately, Byerly is the odd-man out. (However, if Byerly really steps up as a back-up, it may allow CPJ to feel comfortable utilizing one of the other two somewhere else once we have that full-time starter has "arrived") It's going to be hard to keep JT off the field somewhere if Vad steps out like everyone expects and hopes.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Many comment about our lack of receiving corps. I strongly disagree with this. While we don't have much experience at wide receiver, we've got a fair amount of experience at the A-Back position. Those guys caught a lot of passes last year, and they were down field. There were many times they were also split out as the slot receiver.

If we include Orwin (yes, he's gone), the A-Backs had 51 catches for 869 yards and 5 TD's. The B-Backs had 9 catches for 141 yards and 3 TD's. The receivers only had 41 catches for 795 yards and 2 TD's. Granted we lost about half of our receptions and yardage from last year's team, but I like the addition of Smelter as an athletic receiver. I'm very optimistic about this year's receiving.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I think the combo of Thomas and Lee is going to keep some DC's up late at night.
Think of all of the timeouts we'll get the other team to burn by running #5 out on the field for a play. CPJ isn't one for games I know, but that would be an extremely useful tactic. Thinking about it he did send Nesbitt out there on a lot of 4th and hard count plays. And if they don't take the timeout we can have JT burn them. The offense will be very exciting this year.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Think of all of the timeouts we'll get the other team to burn by running #5 out on the field for a play. CPJ isn't one for games I know, but that would be an extremely useful tactic. Thinking about it he did send Nesbitt out there on a lot of 4th and hard count plays. And if they don't take the timeout we can have JT burn them. The offense will be very exciting this year.

agreed...I can't wait.