GT players with NBA potential

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Jose could go overseas and play. That does not mean following that path would be good choice.
Curious about your comment? For baseline I don't see any way Jose will be considered for the NBA - doesn't have the measurables. So from a purely financial perspective he can go play overseas and make close to $100K likely with some expenses paid or he can stay in college for another year but still face the same outcome a year later. G League would pay less and again I don't see it as a pathway to the NBA - just filling a roster spot. What am I missing from your perspective?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
You're not wrong, but there are still overseas leagues that pay decent money, and Jose already has a family to provide for (and little chance of making the NBA even with another year at GT). It seems to me the equation is whether an added year at GT will improve their NBA prospects, and if you just don't have the size or stroke, then why delay going out and making cash overseas? I Mean, you may only have a 10 year "lifetime" as a pro basketball player, why waste one year of potential salary staying at college when you could be earning money somewhere?
I was actually kicking this around in my head, would it be better to stay one more year, finish your degree and then go overseas, or go now, make the 65-100k a year.

Personally, If they are looking at overseas ball, I would advise them to finish their degree, the value of the GT degree in my opinion over the course of their life will be greater than 1 year of overseas ball at 65-100k.

But I can understand wanting to get started.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
IMO, Usher has NBA level athleticism, explosiveness, and length. He would be similar to what Iman Shumpert became: a great defender, and a great guy to come off the bench. The team wouldn't look for him to be a scorer, but do a lot of everything else to take the load off of the primary scorers. Usher has enough of a skillset to add 6-10 points a night on top of everything else he brings to the table. Usher is strongest in transition, so I think the up and down style of the NBA favors his skillset more than the college game.

I was watching the Lakers-Nuggets game last night, and the Nuggets had a short PG, Facundo Campazzo, that came off the bench that reminded me a LOT of Jose. High energy guy that can run the backup PG spot, but also come in be a spark. Hit open shots, wreck havoc on defense, and run the offense all with high energy. Sounds like Jose. I literally thought I was watching Jose play in the NBA their style is so similar:

IMO, Moses has enough skill and athleticism to play in the NBA. It's just a matter of fit. Moses needs to work on his passing more. ON the next level, he won't be a first option scorer down low, so he has to be willing to battle for rebounds, get the ball out of his hands quickly to find the open guy, If you look at the careers that Draymond Green and Markief Morris have carved for themselves...someone willing to battle down low, set up the primary scorer, and do the dirty work...that's something Moses can do. Moses is taller and longer than Draymond and Morris, and has equal athleticism. Draymond and Markief just has an unmerciful attitude when they go to the basket...something that Moses needs to find. We saw a bit of it against Pitt. The 4 spot in the NBA is different now. You've got guys like that are near 7 foot that have equal athleticism to Usher, but can shoot and create shots like smaller guards.

Most of it is just about fit, and the role you carve for yourself once you get the chance. Rotation guys aren't there to be stars, they're there to do everything else to help out the primary scorers and hit open shots when the opportunity is there for them. None of our guys are surefire first rounders, so they'll have to hope a team takes a chance and brings them to camp and they carve out a niche for themselves.

Not taking issue with you, but Morris was a 1st round pick. Green was taken very early in the 2nd round. I really agree with you about the unmerciful attitude both guys have when attacking the basket. And, Green must seem like a swarm of hornets if he is guarding you. Can Moses get to that point without being drafted? Maybe.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pretty sure GT provides financial assistance for players to complete their degree after going pro.

If Jose is close to completing his degree, the time to get his clock started on earning a pro paycheck is now, not later. That window will close quickly compared to coming back & finishing school.

This is compounded by the fact he has a young family.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Curious about your comment? For baseline I don't see any way Jose will be considered for the NBA - doesn't have the measurables. So from a purely financial perspective he can go play overseas and make close to $100K likely with some expenses paid or he can stay in college for another year but still face the same outcome a year later. G League would pay less and again I don't see it as a pathway to the NBA - just filling a roster spot. What am I missing from your perspective?
I agree with you. The question for me is whether Jose is on track to graduate this Spring or does he need another year. Playing overseas means taking his family to a foreign country and leaving them for travel games. $100K will not go far in Spain or France or Italy if you have to rent short term. I have no idea why Jose would want to take his family to China, but maybe that is something to consider. Leaving GT with a degree could get him almost as much money as the G-league or European pro leagues, plus his family is intact and he comes home at night to be with them. I think both options are open to him, so it just depends on what he wants to do.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Chinese BBall league. Marbury was everything you heard he was in China...and more. Dude was their Michael Jordan. BTW...Marbury made over $150 million in the NBA before going to China?! Good for him.

Also, the Jordan Crawford story is hilarious.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you. The question for me is whether Jose is on track to graduate this Spring or does he need another year. Playing overseas means taking his family to a foreign country and leaving them for travel games. $100K will not go far in Spain or France or Italy if you have to rent short term. I have no idea why Jose would want to take his family to China, but maybe that is something to consider. Leaving GT with a degree could get him almost as much money as the G-league or European pro leagues, plus his family is intact and he comes home at night to be with them. I think both options are open to him, so it just depends on what he wants to do.

Yup. Shumpert was a 1st rounder as well. Just trying to find similar type skillsets and body types for comparison.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
G league can pay $150 or $175k, right? If Europe is still a thing with COVID you can get paid there and also experience different cultures. I don’t see him getting drafted, unless we make a run and he blows up in the tournament, but he still has a path to the league.
G league generally pays MUCH less (think $35 or $40K.), iiuc Overseas pays much more, with China paying a ton of money.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
G league generally pays MUCH less (think $35 or $40K.), iiuc Overseas pays much more, with China paying a ton of money.
Depends in the player though right? If an NBA team places them some guys make a decent amount. Also not sure about living expenses, etc. the main point though is do you want to deal with school any longer or just play. The other option I’ve seen pushed as an alternative is Australia.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Depends in the player though right? If an NBA team places them some guys make a decent amount. Also not sure about living expenses, etc. the main point though is do you want to deal with school any longer or just play. The other option I’ve seen pushed as an alternative is Australia.
The minimum salary for local players in Australia for the 2020/21 season is set at roughly $45,000 USD with an average NBL players salary being roughly $106,000 USD. The Australian NBL Soft Salary Cap is set at roughly $1.03 million USD.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I feel like I'm an eggspert here. I'm pokin' my chest out a lil' bit since I called Okogie being a 1st rounder when the rest of ya'll said he'd go undrafted. I also called Shumpert being a 1st rounder while others disagreed.

pat.gif

I see GT NBA prospects in this order:
- Moore
- Usher
- Devoe
- Jose
- Moses

I don't see them being drafted. I see them as being GLeague or 2-way contract guys with a chance to work their way up.

3/D wings are a valuable archetype and I can see Moore/Usher catching some scout's eye.

Devoe could do the same as a catch-n-shoot guy (I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers to be in that type of role rather than how we use him, just being honest).

Jose's heart and shooting could get him some attention. The GLeague/overseas route could be good for him. A roundabout path to the league like a guy like Chiozza(sp?) formerly of UF, now with the Nets.

Moses? I saw him as a guy similar to Giannis before the season. He still needs to work on his handle and his shooting. College PF's that succeed on power/athleticism but who lack size/skill do not translate well to the NBA.

This is where I pushback on folks' obsession with our bigman coach. Yes he does a great job at helping guys on bigman skills but that becomes less impactful in the league when all the big men can dribble/pass/shoot. Great footwork is tremendous .... when you can also dribble/pass/shoot. None of our big men show marked improvement in those areas. I imagine this impacts our recruiting, btw.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Great footwork is tremendous .... when you can also dribble/pass/shoot. None of our big men show marked improvement in those areas.

If you haven't noticed an improvement in Moses' dribbling, passing, or shooting I really don't know what to say.

GT_EE78

Banned
"Most" of them or "any" of them?
LOL - we're GT. you should already have guessed that answer.
To find the potential risers ya gotta look at NBA draft's top 100 (60-100)
the only one GT has in there is Devoe at #74

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If you haven't noticed an improvement in Moses' dribbling, passing, or shooting I really don't know what to say.

I didn't say he hadn't improved. I don't think he dribbles/passes/shoots at an NBA level right now. I think he can get there.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I feel like I'm an eggspert here. I'm pokin' my chest out a lil' bit since I called Okogie being a 1st rounder when the rest of ya'll said he'd go undrafted. I also called Shumpert being a 1st rounder while others disagreed.

pat.gif

I see GT NBA prospects in this order:
- Moore
- Usher
- Devoe
- Jose
- Moses

I don't see them being drafted. I see them as being GLeague or 2-way contract guys with a chance to work their way up.

3/D wings are a valuable archetype and I can see Moore/Usher catching some scout's eye.

Devoe could do the same as a catch-n-shoot guy (I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers to be in that type of role rather than how we use him, just being honest).

Jose's heart and shooting could get him some attention. The GLeague/overseas route could be good for him. A roundabout path to the league like a guy like Chiozza(sp?) formerly of UF, now with the Nets.

Moses? I saw him as a guy similar to Giannis before the season. He still needs to work on his handle and his shooting. College PF's that succeed on power/athleticism but who lack size/skill do not translate well to the NBA.

This is where I pushback on folks' obsession with our bigman coach. Yes he does a great job at helping guys on bigman skills but that becomes less impactful in the league when all the big men can dribble/pass/shoot. Great footwork is tremendous .... when you can also dribble/pass/shoot. None of our big men show marked improvement in those areas. I imagine this impacts our recruiting, btw.
Moore and Usher are both excellent college defensive players. Both are 30% collegiate 3-point shooters. Maybe they could be 3 and D guys, but they are really not very good shooters. Josh Okogie was a 38% shooter from three at GT.

Devoe is a streaky shooter. He could show up at the combine and shoot 60% or 6%. While he is a decent defender, he lacks NBA level bulk and could get pushed around a lot. Also, he either lacks confidence in his right hand or lacks the ability. Either way, that needs to be fixed if he wants a pro career. At one time I thought he was our best chance at an NBA guy, but not so much any more.

Jose is the one guy I now think is on the threshold. The Two-way contract is $75,000. If a player sticks with the NBA team for 45 days it jumps to $204,000. I am not sure how often guys get that extra money. Maybe a lot. The G-league salary for players not on a Two-way is $35,000 for a five month season. The typical starting salary for a GT grad is between $75,000 and $100,000. For a single guy the G-League might be a good enough gamble to take a shot. But for a man with a family? I don't know.

So, that leaves us to talk about Moses. I agree that he will not get drafted unless he blows up in the post season and impresses the hell out of a bunch of scouts. Still, the best I see for him is a Two-Way contract. More likely, he will head off to an international team unless he decides to have another year with Reveno.

Last edited:

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Moore and Usher are both excellent college defensive players. Both are 30% collegiate 3-point shooters. Maybe they could be 3 and D guys, but they are really very good shooters. Josh Okogie was a 38% shooter from three at GT.

Devoe is a streaky shooter. He could show up at the combine and shoot 60% or 6%. While he is a decent defender, he lacks NBA level bulk and could get pushed around a lot. Also, he either lacks confidence in his right hand or lacks the ability. Either way, that needs to be fixed if he wants a pro career. At one time I thought he was our best chance at an NBA guy, but not so much any more.

Jose is the one guy I now think is on the threshold. The Two-way contract is $75,000. If a player sticks with the NBA team for 45 days it jumps to $204,000. I am not sure how often guys get that extra money. Maybe a lot. The G-league salary for players not on a Two-way is $35,000 for a five month season. The typical starting salary for a GT grad is between $75,000 and $100,000. For a single guy the G-League might be a good enough gamble to take a shot. But for a man with a family? I don't know.

So, that leaves us to talk about Moses. I agree that he will not get drafted unless he blows up in the post season and impresses the hell out of a bunch of scouts. Still, the best I see for him is a Two-Way contract. More likely, he will head off to an international team unless he decides to have another year with Reveno.
When I see folks talk about Mike going to the nba I don’t question his offense nearly as much as I tend to question his defense. As of today I don’t think he can stay in front of a shooting guard in today’s nba.