GT Player Deals

So ,my 2 cents. If a player finds a way to monetize themselves...fine. Should this have some restrictions, yes as the example of the Miami guy could make recruiting a nightmare...more so than it already is for us. Maybe we could have some of our Atlanta big wigs offer paid internships that lead to guaranteed jobs after Tech guys get a degree. No different than paying a player to sign autographs at the car dealership. Will we have players signing autographs at the dealership....probably not as we have and have had few marquee players.

Also I would recommend that teams acquire a tax advisor for these players. Uncle Sam is going to take his bite and may decide to start including tuition.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
This back and forth doesn’t need to continue. Seems like a we are arguing over different things anyways.

The above is somewhat what I’m getting at. More to the point if there are other students that get “free” education. Either through academic or other means. Those students have no restrictions on their ability to make money to my knowledge.

Why should it be any different for athletes?

I agree so it’s a good jumping off point

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds like he wants them to tag his gym whenever they are on social media. Frankly, in today’s digital media, that’s better than billboards or TV ads, so money well spent. What I don’t know is how the gym owner is going to monitor all of their accounts to see if they are following through.
While he probably will have someone occasionally look at it and he might ask some guys specifically to mention his gym- this is purely about recruiting, legal bag man money. 'See what you can get if you come to the U?" Bring back the U, etc... Heck, just announcing the deal probably brought enough attention from an advertising point of view.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Curious about the $500 per month for the Miami players to "advertise" for the gym. What all are they "required" to do?
Wear a T-shirt once a week in public?
Spend 20 hours a week ($25/hr), 5 hours ($100/hour) "working out" at the gym?
Didn't we just know that Miami would be the first out of the box to cut corners?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
nope you are wrong. I never said players don’t work, they are definitely getting a free education. There mainly working on enhancing their pro potential though. That’s the rub. When you and I work we are earning money or compensation for a service we were hired to perform that’s in the interest of our employer. When an athlete gets a scholly he or she is equally working on his pro opportunities, which he/she wants to reach for and performing an act that provides benefit for the school. What they are getting for free is the equipment, training, nutrition regiment/ food, hosting of Pro Days, TV exposure that cost millions, travel, overnight stay etc… plus a degree that has real monetary value.

y’all seem hell bent to say the degree isn’t free because of inherent tasks or that the scholly isn’t free because they have to follow team rules which require task specific chores. All of which are required for anyone to chase their dream, why you differentiate an athletes dream chasing and a regular students chase I don’t know but that’s what the result of your positions sound like.

I have yet to hear any of you even utter the words that regular college attendance requires work, much less work that should be compensated. Tech draws millions from the work students are doing in the lab why isn’t that shared with the “workers” ?
Per your line of thought GT is failing miserably with the scholarship football players if they are “working” to be pro football players. We put 1-2 per year into the pro ranks. That’s an “F.”

That GT makes money off any student’s work isn’t relevant. Scholarship athletes worked to get the scholarship and work to keep it. It’s not given for nothing.

Your definition of “free” is simply wrong. You are entitled to your opinion as opinions are in fact free.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Additional details on Yates’ deal

That seems like a good deal and a fair deal. He gets a small amount of money, VIP treatment at Braves games, and a commission on Braves tickets sold through his affiliate link. If he is able to drive an audience to Braves games, the Braves make money and he gets a cut. SIDE NOTE: If anyone plans to buy Braves tickets, use his link so he gets credit for it.

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
Here's the question that I have for all of these NIL deals. What % of the take does the school get as I assume when these players "advertise" a product, they are identified as playing for a particular school. To be honest, that is the reason their image is of any value. I would hazard a guess that if I made a random chart of photos with 50 of the best players but didn't identify them or their school, 90% plus of the football fans would have no idea who they are. Also, if logos are used, isn't their some sort of royalty paid to the conference, school or even the NCAA?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Here's the question that I have for all of these NIL deals. What % of the take does the school get as I assume when these players "advertise" a product, they are identified as playing for a particular school. To be honest, that is the reason their image is of any value. I would hazard a guess that if I made a random chart of photos with 50 of the best players but didn't identify them or their school, 90% plus of the football fans would have no idea who they are. Also, if logos are used, isn't their some sort of royalty paid to the conference, school or even the NCAA?
I would bet that if you were to put the athlete in a uniform without the number 99% of the fans of that school would still not know who that kid was.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I would bet that if you were to put the athlete in a uniform without the number 99% of the fans of that school would still not know who that kid was.
99% of the fans would not know who a player on their favorite team was even WITH the number.

50% of the mutt fans probably couldn’t name one of their players correctly even if he had his name on the back of his jersey.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe this is a very, very slippery slope good vs bad. Of course as with anything in life there will be programs and athletes who abuse it. There will be athletes who receive lots money sent to them through these mediums who do little to nothing for the money. In fact it may make the BAG MAN JOB so much easier. What to stop a endorsement deal of $100,00- 200,000 for eating a bowl of a particular cereal “live on YouTube? Or what’s to stop someone from doing a video of themselves breathing and say “I am being paid to show my face and breathe live”? Rich alums could dominate this space for their specific school! Plus what happens when they want to sew logos to their jersey or past on a helmets during the game? Can it be prevented without placing a limitation on an individual’s opportunity to make money? What if they sign a deal with Nike but their school is another brand? Can the school or coach prevent them from being able to support a product of their choice due to their schools contract? What about a player who picks up a marijuana company and is paid to smoke dope on “Facebook Live” in a state where pot is legal? Or be paid to eat a meal or make an appearance at an event? What kind of limits are set at the price an athlete can be paid or can make in totality? What will constitute a “reasonable wage”? Plus the larger schools can REALLY leverage their fanbase size to attract all the blue chip recruits. Is there anything in the rules against a school having a alum via their company from offering all their football team an endorsement deal that activates automatically after they sign their LOI? The school with the richest/deepest pockets wins! What about a schools policy of forcing athletes to live in a particular place on campus and thus a recruit misses an opportunity to live in a penthouse suite or a endorsement company’s house for endorsing their product? There are SO MANY LAYERS to this onion. The LOI could become a huge distraction to athletes who aren’t mature enough to handle the pressure and extra demands of the contracts that they sign on and the “fine print” and unintended consequences of the long term effects of the contracts they’ve entered into and thus signed away photography rights or potentially other things that leave them in compromised positions in the future. Especially true for the athletes
They need agents/lawyers who are able to give them a clear understanding of the full picture of each contract. I am almost certain that some athletes will settle for pennies in the short term due to the immediate financial demands (own wants/needs, family situations) allowing it to become consuming, lose track of their training, ACADEMICS, and sports schedules (practice, games). They begin to fail school due to the endorsements and become ineligible thus never really ever reaching their full potential athletically or enter into the workforce with a degree. Do the really good athletes have the inner discipline to say I am 100% committed/focused on perfecting my craft to make it to the professional level giving up the short term of “quick money” to make millions of dollars down the road. It’s a gamble.
I believe the athletes should receive some type of financial compensation when the schools/coaches make millions upon millions for the lit performance on their campus facilities but how much is enough vs how much is too much is a tough line to draw.
Perhaps all the schools should’ve been given the exact same monetary budget to pay out for each of their sports team and allow them to decide how much each individual player gets from the lump sum. That way the playing field is equally dispersed. It’s a WHOLE new management headache for the coaches to manage for sure.
It has been reported the the Daniels kid at ugag has signed with Zaxbys for more than 1mil and has said he will share the money with his team mates! Would not that make him an employer?

901jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It has been reported the the Daniels kid at ugag has signed with Zaxbys for more than 1mil and has said he will share the money with his team mates! Would not that make him an employer?
Dang…going to make it a little harder for me to eat there knowing that and they just opened a new zaxbys down the road from me.