GT Player Deals

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
No use fretting over it. With as many ways as there are to make money side hustling now, this was inevitable and there is no going back. Just sit back and see what happens. Everyone has had time to plan for it. Gotta learn how to compete in this system same as the old one.

I applaud some of the entrepreneurship I am seeing among the players. To me, this gives more opportunities for guys who may not even be blue chip recruits to secure the bag by hustling for it.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Exactly. How is it worse for a bagman to offer a recruit an opportunity to make some money instead of straight up giving him a car or a McDonald's sack of cash?
It's better for us as U.S. taxpayers as this will now be taxable income.

Deleted member 2897

Looks like we are not in Kansas anymore Toto. One of the unintended consequences of this new law is that the players are going to be sctrutinized at a previously unseen level. Imagine Brooks (or any other player) having a bad game. Do you suppose there weren't be more than a few who might wonder how much of his time he spent on his personal business venture that should have gone into game preparation. OTOH, I imagine that there will be $ incentive to perform well on the field. No one wants to pay to play video games with a 3rd string OT on a 3- 8 team.

I am not against this new law proposal as it was inevitable. But if you don't think the above scenario is going to play out in the future then I will say that you are probably new to the internet.

Meh - the coaches have set schedules for the team. They’ll know if they’re skipping those. They already have rules around that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Meh - the coaches have set schedules for the team. They’ll know if they’re skipping those. They already have rules around that.

Sure the coaches will know....but the fans? They love them some tin foil hat conspiracies and will stop at no end to manufacture them.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
There is a solution to all of this. Schools can have the athletes sign a contract whereby that agree that in consideration of their scholarship any money they receive from NIL will be paid to the school (I won't go into the legal reasons why it needs to be written this way). Some athletes won't agree, and some schools won't want to impose that limitation. That's OK. Now we have two groups of schools. This may break up the NCAA, but its pretty irrelevant (being kind) anyway.

This proposal will separate the schools that are committed to STUDENT athletes from those that are already running semi-pro (or pro) programs. That's a good thing in my view. It will expose what has been the farce of the student athlete that has existed for 40 years or so. Clemson would leave the ACC. It would be interesting to see what a UNC would do. The SEC would mostly remain intact. The B1G that supposedly values its academics might have some embarrassed schools.

The problem is that TV money will chase the semi-pro programs if they end up being in the majority. The non semi-pro schools could become irrelevant. The proposal would work IF academics are in charge at a majority of the P5 programs.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is a solution to all of this. Schools can have the athletes sign a contract whereby that agree that in consideration of their scholarship any money they receive from NIL will be paid to the school (I won't go into the legal reasons why it needs to be written this way). Some athletes won't agree, and some schools won't want to impose that limitation. That's OK. Now we have two groups of schools. This may break up the NCAA, but its pretty irrelevant (being kind) anyway.

This proposal will separate the schools that are committed to STUDENT athletes from those that are already running semi-pro (or pro) programs. That's a good thing in my view. It will expose what has been the farce of the student athlete that has existed for 40 years or so. Clemson would leave the ACC. It would be interesting to see what a UNC would do. The SEC would mostly remain intact. The B1G that supposedly values its academics might have some embarrassed schools.

The problem is that TV money will chase the semi-pro programs if they end up being in the majority. The non semi-pro schools could become irrelevant. The proposal would work IF academics are in charge at a majority of the P5 programs.
The challenge with your solution is that there's no problem for it to solve.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Yikes. No.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Why would Olivia Dunne give money from a following that she built BEFORE going to LSU to LSU? Do you think she should be required to give $1 million a year to LSU in exchange for a $41K scholarship and the opportunity to work extremely hard for the athletic department? She could have made millions prior to going to LSU without any input whatsoever from LSU. Why should she now be required to give the money from the social media work that she did before attending LSU to LSU?