GT @ Ole Miss

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
Am sitting in S2 with some friends and family. Also staying in Tupelo and will be tailgating in the grove for a bit at a family friend’s spot with the loyal opposition.

Will report back on the hospitality shown this proud yellow jacket post game.
Our tickets are also in S2, and I think that's traditionally the visitor's section. Either way, I'm just going to migrate to wherever most Tech fans are.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'd say it's the one in town that has the plumbing inside and the vagrants outside, instead of the other way around.

(Sorry for the non-response. I just had a hate-flash and just went with it. :()
My favorite on Ole Miss.

It would have been impossible for Christ to be born there because it requires a virgin and three wise men.

For all that they are my third favorite team, right after Tech and the Good Dogs.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
My favorite on Ole Miss.

It would have been impossible for Christ to be born there because it requires a virgin and three wise men.

For all that they are my third favorite team, right after Tech and the Good Dogs.

Wow, a Yale fan!

Lookout, NE!

Its A Trap GIF by Star Wars

There ain't no 'good' dogs.

#It'sAlwaysHateWeek

The Network

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm an Ole Miss season ticket holder living in Atlanta. We look forward to hosting you guys this weekend. Several points that I'll assign numbers to since as Tech folks you guys are all about math.

1) Hotels in Oxford are impossible. It is a small town with very few hotels. I stay outside of Tupelo, and the drive is only about 45 minutes.
2) Football parking was converted to permit only on campus several years ago to raise money. You can park just off campus for about $40. You can also buy a campus parking pass online from the aftermarket, similar to buying tickets. That said, there are shuttles that take people from several points in Oxford to and from the game and they are always clean and efficient. It's almost impossible to tell where the campus begins and the City of Oxford ends. All is very walkable.
3) The Grove is an iconic part of the gameday experience, but that's a relatively recent situation. Until the 1980s, it was used as a parking lot. But a rainy game caused enormous damage to the trees so after that game cars were banned and it become the big pre-game meeting place for fans. Really just like a huge family reunion or picnic.
4) I have attended football games all around the country and you will not find more welcoming or more friendly people than at Ole Miss. Ole Miss people have all kept their genteel southern manners, which includes welcoming visitors. Unless you are low-lifes from LSU or State, you will be treated like the prodigal son.
5) There were a few snide comments in this string about Oxofrd being an isolated small town. That is true. And that is also part of its charm. Every single Ole Miss alum wants to retire there, which means that the wonderful old houses you see as you drive in cost more than a Buckhead mansion.
6) Despite being a small town, there are excellent, very highly rated restaurants all over town. Again, very competitive to those in Buckhead (I own a business in Buckhead, thus the reference)
7) Even on a cloudy day, I encourage every guy to bring sunglasses. Especially if you're married. The level of female talent at Ole Miss is utterly astonishing. And unlike Tech, women are plentiful and they all speak English. (I have lots of Tech friends, so just a friendly jab)
8) Visitor seating is in 2 sections on the East side of the stadium. For those who were curious, the Ole Miss band is located in the middle of the north end zone in the student section. The visiting band usually sits in one of the visitors sections in the east stands
9) The theme color for fans to wear this weekend is red, so don't panic and think you've transported to Athens. Other theme colors are white, powder blue and navy blue, and those vary week by week.
10) On the field, the team has been beaten up by injuries to key players, especially on offense. I personally think the 20-point spread is too rich. And after Tech, the team plays consecutively at Alabama, LSU, Arkansas and at Auburn. That might be the toughest 4-game stretch in college football this year.

I hope Tech brings a big crowd and you guys enjoy everything but that 3-hour time chunk starting at 7:30 Saturday night.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm an Ole Miss season ticket holder living in Atlanta. We look forward to hosting you guys this weekend. Several points that I'll assign numbers to since as Tech folks you guys are all about math.

10) On the field, the team has been beaten up by injuries to key players, especially on offense. I personally think the 20-point spread is too rich. And after Tech, the team plays consecutively at Alabama, LSU, Arkansas and at Auburn. That might be the toughest 4-game stretch in college football this year.
Welcome and thanks for the good intel. Ole Miss is on my list to visit but I couldn't swing logistics this year. Really bummed given the number of folks I know on both sides who will be there.

I think you stubbed your toe on #10. I understand why it might have seemed that way in the preseason, but so far reality hasn't matched expectations with two teams ranked between #10-20 and two unranked teams.

For a comparison, here's Arizona:

1694475275427.png

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I can attest to number 7. The most beautiful girl I ever dated was from Ole Miss. Her whole group of friends were absolute smoke shows. Oxford is a great town. Went once about 6-7 years ago. Went to Ziggy’s and happened to see Morgan Freeman dining at a restaurant on the square. Great place.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
4) I have attended football games all around the country and you will not find more welcoming or more friendly people than at Ole Miss. Ole Miss people have all kept their genteel southern manners, which includes welcoming visitors. Unless you are low-lifes from LSU or State, you will be treated like the prodigal son.
Is there a strategy for earning an invite to a tent at the Grove? This is my first away game rolling solo - I was thinking of just carrying around a disposable cooler bag with some local ATL beers to swap. Is it just a "wear GT gear and make eye contact" and they'll invite you in type thing?

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

1) Hotels in Oxford are impossible. It is a small town with very few hotels. I stay outside of Tupelo, and the drive is only about 45 minutes.
2) Football parking was converted to permit only on campus several years ago to raise money. You can park just off campus for about $40. You can also buy a campus parking pass online from the aftermarket, similar to buying tickets. That said, there are shuttles that take people from several points in Oxford to and from the game and they are always clean and efficient. It's almost impossible to tell where the campus begins and the City of Oxford ends. All is very walkable.
3) The Grove is an iconic part of the gameday experience, but that's a relatively recent situation. Until the 1980s, it was used as a parking lot. But a rainy game caused enormous damage to the trees so after that game cars were banned and it become the big pre-game meeting place for fans. Really just like a huge family reunion or picnic.
5) There were a few snide comments in this string about Oxofrd being an isolated small town. That is true. And that is also part of its charm. Every single Ole Miss alum wants to retire there, which means that the wonderful old houses you see as you drive in cost more than a Buckhead mansion.
6) Despite being a small town, there are excellent, very highly rated restaurants all over town. Again, very competitive to those in Buckhead (I own a business in Buckhead, thus the reference)
7) Even on a cloudy day, I encourage every guy to bring sunglasses. Especially if you're married. The level of female talent at Ole Miss is utterly astonishing. And unlike Tech, women are plentiful and they all speak English. (I have lots of Tech friends, so just a friendly jab)
8) Visitor seating is in 2 sections on the East side of the stadium. For those who were curious, the Ole Miss band is located in the middle of the north end zone in the student section. The visiting band usually sits in one of the visitors sections in the east stands
9) The theme color for fans to wear this weekend is red, so don't panic and think you've transported to Athens. Other theme colors are white, powder blue and navy blue, and those vary week by week.

I hope Tech brings a big crowd and you guys enjoy everything but that 3-hour time chunk starting at 7:30 Saturday night.
Hey welcome! Thanks for all the helpful info. Do you have any news about updates on Ole Miss injuries, key players out etc? I have been looking at the Ole Miss forum on secrant and there is not much talk about the game, seems like the fans are looking forward to Bama, hopefully your team is doing the same!

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Nothing to add, except to say "Welcome." We love it when fans of opposing teams make an appearance and talk shop, and appreciate you doing so. Thanks for all the info!

Likewise, hoping y'all have a tremendous season (after this week's unfortunate loss)!

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I’m more excited for this away game than any other I have been to as a Tech Faithful (though admit to working on piecing the Ireland game together next year which may supplant this).

Looking forward to the whole game day experience and really excited to get a late kick and a full day of experiencing the grove.