GT Official injury report for Tulane

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
GEORGIA TECH INJURY REPORT (TULANE GAME)

OUT

Nick Brigham, OL (concussion)

Isaiah Johnson, S (hamstring)

Brady Swilling, QB (hand

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Not sure how much it hurts. IJ much stronger in pass defense than run defense, but I don't think there's too much of a drop off.
In my opinion it is the other way around. He makes some solid tackles but seems like he gets burned a lot in pass coverage.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how much it hurts. IJ much stronger in pass defense than run defense, but I don't think there's too much of a drop off.

IMO you have that backward. In prior years he was high on the team in tackling to the detriment of his pass coverage, or did I dream that?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I hear what your saying, but I think his major issues with coverage in past years was scheme. I thought he played his best under Wommack and Kelly. I don't think he's very good at tackling. Now, you can evaluate what I said however you like, but I didn't say he was good in coverage, just stronger against the pass than the run.;) It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I think the best thing IJ brings to the team is Leadership.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I hear what your saying, but I think his major issues with coverage in past years was scheme. I thought he played his best under Wommack and Kelly. I don't think he's very good at tackling. Now, you can evaluate what I said however you like, but I didn't say he was good in coverage, just stronger against the pass than the run.;) It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I think the best thing IJ brings to the team is Leadership.

We can definitely agree on leadership and I saw a lot of hustle against Wofford (you are right in that he tries to knock you down instead of wrapping up).

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
IJ was really laying the wood to some folks last Saturday. I was impressed.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hammies can nag you season long if you don't rest and fully heal them. Better to rest in now and next week and be ready for VT and beyond. I thought he had a solid game against Wofford, I was encouraged that his physicality had taken a step forward.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
IJ was really laying the wood to some folks last Saturday. I was impressed.
I remember two really good hits, one on a stretch play to the left side (right side for the defense) and once on a pitch. He blew up both plays by running through the runner. Not sure there was much else.

I'd rather see the guys wrap up and drive their legs instead of trying to lay the guy out using their body as a missile. Good fundamental tackling is what is needed and for the most part was missing against Wofford.

Please don't get wrong, I like IJ. I think he's back in a system that he can succeed in and I really like him. I think he brings something to the team that is really important. He and Jamal ball-hawk more to me than come up in strong run support. To me Demond has really supported the run-defense well.

I don't want this to turn into a "bash IJ" back-and-forth because I like IJ and want him on the field.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't take too much out of IJs play against Wofford. It's been a long time since dude has played. He tore his ACL in bowl practice year before last.
He is a physical presence in the run game. The knock during Groh's tenure was that he got lost, and he did. When Kelly took over, he played much better after the D was simplified.
I like IJ. We can use him and more importantly, he needs to get snaps to be ready for the meat of the schedule.
That being said, I like our safety depth. Roof has said he doesn't do SS/FS, but says they are interchangeable.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Eric, what is it with the hammies? (This is what CJ Leggett has also, right?)

Is this simply a very common injury, or a result of heat/hydration, or cramping, or conditioning, or insufficient warmup/cooldown, or ??

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
This is not good--Golden is not a tackler much and IJ at least is better,but putting Smith at SS puts in Noble (at Nickel) who is just not as good--so it weakens us
if gotsis is out , OMG--a shootout