GT offensive depth chart to be released

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He certainly couldn't be any worse. I just don't see how we can't put a better finished product on the field than that. I played with better high school players at a AA school
I just looked up BC's bio. He was a project from the get go. He only played two years of organized football in his life before college. He was a basketball player who switched to football because of his size. The coaches must have liked something because he was an early offer. Not everybody develops as expected and there's a huge myriad of reasons why. That said, it's very possible he hasn't reached the top of his potential envelope yet. Because of his late start, he's gonna have a later peak time than other players. He's a RSjr now, it's time to put it together.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What's up with Dennis Andrews? I feel like he's our best AB with the ball in his hands.
I agree about best with the ball in his hands. You could argue Days plows through contact but Andrews is fast/quick and elusive.

He has been in & out of CPJ's doghouse for over a year due to a couple of things: Blocking, discipline, and off the field discipline.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Laskey up to 220 lbs? If so whoever was was talking about our GCG beef is right. With their push and Laskey coming out of a 3 point stance on the dive at 220 lbs...that's positive yards as long as we block. Also someone fill me in on why O'Reily isn't starting and I thought in spring Burden was kicked out to tackle? I've been of the site for a little bit, but whoever starts all I care about is the push up front

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Laskey up to 220 lbs? If so whoever was was talking about our GCG beef is right. With their push and Laskey coming out of a 3 point stance on the dive at 220 lbs...that's positive yards as long as we block. Also someone fill me in on why O'Reily isn't starting and I thought in spring Burden was kicked out to tackle? I've been of the site for a little bit, but whoever starts all I care about is the push up front
I think Burden beat out O'Reilly during Spring but it was very close. Burden moved out to OT for the Spring Game, imo, because we needed to field two teams and he was best suited to do so. My hope of hopes is that Chamberlain is getting better and that's why he's still first string RT.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Burden beat out O'Reilly during Spring but it was very close. Burden moved out to OT for the Spring Game, imo, because we needed to field two teams and he was best suited to do so. My hope of hopes is that Chamberlain is getting better and that's why he's still first string RT.
Maybe he is getting better...why don't we just put O'Reily at C and kick Burden out to RT that way our best five can be on the field IMO. Also maybe this new Oline coach can help us in this department (fingers crossed)

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Burden was moved to #1 Center 1 practice before the Spring game. He was #1 C and O'Reilly was #2 C for the spring game.

bcaff

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe he is getting better...why don't we just put O'Reily at C and kick Burden out to RT that way our best five can be on the field IMO. Also maybe this new Oline coach can help us in this department (fingers crossed)

I think the idea is that if we put Burden at C, there's no other scholarship center on the depth chart except for one of the incoming freshmen.

I had talked to Burden though, and he had said that he was gonna try to get a medical redshirt since he was hurt for the entire year. I know he already was redshirted his freshman year, but can't you get a second redshirt if it's for medical reasons? What's the deal with that?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nowhere is the depth chart more interesting, or perhaps, more open to moving chess pieces than the OL. If Devine is able to play several series in a row on a hot day, we may find Braun going to OT. Burden is easily fast enough to play RT. O'Reilly has proven himself to a degree at C. Enough so that it may be a viable option to allow Burden to move out. However, if Burden stays at C, O'Reilly could also easily become the OG who rotates as a third guy allowing Braun to move to OT.

At this point in time, I can't remember any specifics about our new incoming OL, except that I remember being really impressed with a couple of them. However, asking a true frosh to make an immediate impact is a real stretch. My hope is that we are good enough and deep enough that none of them do.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just looked up BC's bio. He was a project from the get go. He only played two years of organized football in his life before college. He was a basketball player who switched to football because of his size. The coaches must have liked something because he was an early offer. Not everybody develops as expected and there's a huge myriad of reasons why. That said, it's very possible he hasn't reached the top of his potential envelope yet. Because of his late start, he's gonna have a later peak time than other players. He's a RSjr now, it's time to put it together.

Good data. One reason could also be crappy OL coaching as well.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
THe Oline is a questionable looking with a real lack of experience overall so until proven they are suspect..We keep hearing how talented but the same thing was said about Chemberlain last yr and ....yuck. If they falter then having a inexp QB is exacerbated.
I hope the RBs work out but there is more quantity than quality.The WRs are ok.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I've always thought Perkins was a more natural fit for Bback...I trust the coaches to put guys where they can benefit the team most tho.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Nowhere is the depth chart more interesting, or perhaps, more open to moving chess pieces than the OL. If Devine is able to play several series in a row on a hot day, we may find Braun going to OT. Burden is easily fast enough to play RT. O'Reilly has proven himself to a degree at C. Enough so that it may be a viable option to allow Burden to move out. However, if Burden stays at C, O'Reilly could also easily become the OG who rotates as a third guy allowing Braun to move to OT.

At this point in time, I can't remember any specifics about our new incoming OL, except that I remember being really impressed with a couple of them. However, asking a true frosh to make an immediate impact is a real stretch. My hope is that we are good enough and deep enough that none of them do.

We are deep enough in the OL if either (or both) Roberts is healthy or Eason F is eligible via transfer waiver. Neither are predictable at this time. If not, the best freshmen candidates IMO based on size and what I saw on film are Brown, Stickler, and Klock. Brown is more of a guard type, Stickler played tackle in HS, and Klock is the most versatile and could be the most ready for this level of play. I do not see any of them playing much in 2014 unless we have multiple injuries, but one or two may be required just to make numbers available, just in case.

I cannot figure the move of Joe from LT in the Spring to RT on the new depth chart unless he is being trained for both sides for this depth issue. There has in the past been other cross-training with O'Reilly at G and C, Burden at C and T in the Spring, and maybe Brigham at G and T last Fall. IMO the coaches will have to make a trade-off decision about using one or two Freshmen or diluting some practice time with multiple cross-training of existing roster players without using any Freshmen.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Klock is an interesting one for me. Where does he really belong? On one hand he looks like an awesome SDE candidate, but I hear he is headed for offense. He is a bit light in the pants for the interior line at the moment. I guess OT is his future? In any case, he moves well and he has a mean streak. He was surely dominating at his level in HS.