GT - Offensive Base Run Plays

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The few run concepts i think we are going to run that aren't shown here are.
The pop pass jet sweep (counts as a pass but its a run play)
The shovel Option (technically this is an RPO)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I like the power run a whole lot. I think the O should be able to get yards with that.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
That was run focused - I wonder if there is any plans to do a passing series as well?

/

To be honest, we didn't run that much variation in the passing game. And I honestly think we weren't reading as much as challenging matchups.

There was one play lucas looked left. The Corner was a pretty low on the DC player and had basically got burned, but lucas threw to the covered guy on a deep go to force a jump play.

From what I saw it was alot of basic air rade rout concepts. Smash, Verts, I think we did a mesh or two. And Check down to swing several times. The big plays were eithe ron a smash'n'go or Seam routes. Unfortunately its harder to evaluate this without an all 22 look. And our guys are still learning precision route cutting.

I know we had one play where the receiver should have ran a slant to space but he ran a seam and lucas couldn't hit him quick off the nickle play.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It’s gonna be interesting seeing how well the team adapts to the passing game. I hope coach doesn’t force things to quickly.

I expect the run game to much more easily translate.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing still confuses me about the RPO: how does the OL know whether to drive or to stay in place? If they just assume they need to pass block, there won’t be much of a hole for the RB I would assume. And if they push the defender a few yards on a pass play, they’ll draw a flag. So are they making a read too, or is there some other way for them to know what to do?

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing still confuses me about the RPO: how does the OL know whether to drive or to stay in place? If they just assume they need to pass block, there won’t be much of a hole for the RB I would assume. And if they push the defender a few yards on a pass play, they’ll draw a flag. So are they making a read too, or is there some other way for them to know what to do?

Often they are truly running 2 separate plays, the OL & RB are running an inside zone or zone read, and the WRs are running their routes. The QB just makes the decision. Until refs start calling OL downfield, guys will just keep doing it. The issue usually comes from the OL that is climbing to the 2nd level from a double team.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

That’s was one of biggest CPJ gripes the last 5 yrs. The refs were so honed on calling stuff on us that their attention to detail went away from our offense. In my defensive breakdowns, i show where UNC and/or UVA lineman are almost 4-5 yds down field essentially creating a screen.

To answer your question, the OL is not suppose to know. They play it as outside/inside zone. That what makes it’s difficult for defenders in that they get sucked in so hard on the run action provided by the OL that it leaves a void

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Often they are truly running 2 separate plays, the OL & RB are running an inside zone or zone read, and the WRs are running their routes. The QB just makes the decision. Until refs start calling OL downfield, guys will just keep doing it. The issue usually comes from the OL that is climbing to the 2nd level from a double team.
Yep, also on the play specifically shown in the article the ball is thrown behind the LOS, so the penalty would not apply. Running an RPO with Inside or Outside Zone in one direction, then a bubble screen the other can put a lot of stress on the defense horizontally without worrying about getting called for ineligible man downfield, though they hardly ever call it anyway.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why does everyone assume we are going to run a ton of RPO? Did we in the spring game?

I've mentioned it here before but I think some folks aren't clear on what an RPO play actually is. The last couple posts above explain it well, but it is a very tough play to execute. It isn't just play-action out of the shotgun.