GT Offense Questions Featuring Gifs

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm not @Ibeeballin or @Longestday , so bear with me. I have had some questions about plays in the past and sometimes I see a play and wonder the plan. The post is mainly about me asking questions and making some observations. Anyone familiar with what we are trying to do, I'd love feed back. Anyone else that has question, if you have a youtube link with a timestamp, I will make a gif for you and, and we can get it added to the post. I'd love if we had a thread about learning the offense together!

First off, from what I have seen, we run read option out of the pistol more than about any other formation.

This isn't the best example as we decide that blocking the right side DE isn't important, but you can see Graham reading the right side line backer and handing off. If anyone has comment on my assessment let me know :)

Here is another. This time I can't for the life of me tell if it's an option or a called run. Graham appears to be looking at the defense and is riding the mesh, but every defender on the field is attempted to be blocked.

One question I had about this, is our QB does the shuffle in as he reads, but we still seem pretty far back. @Ibeeballin called out how similar we looked to OSU during the OSU/PSU game. I rewatched it to see how similar we were. OSU seemed to run a lot of outside runs in the first half, but the second half they really began going to this play.

Fields is two yards closer to the LOS than Graham at the time of hand off. For anyone familiar with these offenses, are these meant to be similar plays or are they different concepts? Is there a reason you would want to have one play like OSU's and one like ours? I will add, I don't remember OSU ever running a read option similar to what I posted, but they ran plenty of outside zone that seems similar to us.

Next I'd like to talk about RPO. If anyone can point me out a clip that show us running RPO (both run and pass from same formation is a plus) I'd love it. Figuring out what is play action and what is called run is pretty tough for me right now. I think I found two, but I'd love to hear thoughts.

Based on what I know about RPO, you count the box and run when you have numbers and pass when you don't. In this case we have trips right and what looks like only two defenders. The RB play action draws the only defender even close to the TE, and we hit seam for big game. Is this just a good play call play action or is this RPO?

This one is a run. We have only six in the box with a high safety. Graham seems to be looking at the nickel who stays home with the TE, and hands off. Is my guess that this is RPO correct?

Finally, I just wanted to talk about a play I saw us run against UVA and VT. We have the bunch trips formation that I am pretty sure we run a screen out of 100% of the time. UVA I think we ran it twice. Here is UVA

UVA is giving us about two yards of cushion and the CB is backing up at the snap. In the VT game, we tried to get a bit sneaky, and motioned into it.

VT seemed to know this was coming. The outside CB still backs away, but the one at the LOS points at his blocker and attacks it like a screen from the snap. Is there more to this play or are we a bit transparent at the moment? I saw us use the formation a couple times against UVA and then when I saw us motion the man against VT I called the screen. Was wondering if there is something I am missing.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't sure how close the the post limit I got, so I saved a couple more. When watching the OSU game, I saw a really nice play I liked

I love how fast this hits and seems really suited for what we do. I was happy to see we have a similar play, but attacking the inside.

I'd love to see us run this without the play fake. In the same game, UVA ran a play very similar to OSU but out of a two back set and a player motioning into the TE spot.

slugboy

Staff member
I’ll try looking at this post on a desktop, but the images are not coming through on mobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing to keep in mind is running zone read option is limited to the QB the coaches sign. I think we see more of it now because our coaches know they have QBs that can run well. If they have a QB that's a talented passer, I think we'll see more RPO concepts run and the QB getting the ball out quicker. It's similar to what Penn State and Miss State run. I think our coaches also know that our QBs are not the best passers, and their legs are a weapon hence the higher percentage of these zone read concepts.

I think as the years go by, and our coaches get their personnel in, I think we'll still run zone read (coaches would be dumb not to), but not to the extent we're running this year. I really think our coaches want a very strong passer at QB that can threaten with his legs but not necessarily be a running back playing QB.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
A pro to the pistol formation is that it disguises the play direction and strong side Of the formation causing a slight delay on defenses part when play starts.

Hard to determine the play calls as there could be assignment busts and fakes being carried out.

the first play comparison, osu appears to be running a rpo as the wr is waiting on a screen and we appear to be running standard read opt. That could be the reason for depth differences. also sone times players determine the depth. i remember PJ said he put Dwyer farther back in the flexbone formation because he was so fast in reaching the mesh.

You chose right on the RPO's. Watch the oline they run block on RPO's vs pass blocking on play action.

on the vt screen, its just execution, Davis has to hold his block, we have the numbers at point of attack.

with Tobias at the beginning of the year we were running alot of QB designed runs being a defacto single wing offense. good for short yardage mostly.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
the first play comparison, osu appears to be running a rpo as the wr is waiting on a screen and we appear to be running standard read opt.
Yeah I wasn’t too sure about the OSU one. They never passed when Fields went up field. PSU even began blitzing the nickel which varied in success. Even then though I was just waiting for OSU to hit the a lot for pass but they just kept running it.

slugboy

Staff member
Sorry! Looked good on my iPhone. I’ll see if there is better place to upload in the future.

It worked OK on desktop—think it’s just a Tapatalk thing.

On the first play, I’m starting to think it’s both an option and blocked incorrectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
The first play should have been a pass to Oliver. If You slow it down you can see the line backers are all watching Mason and Graham while TO is going across on a slant pattern which would be the correct read on that play.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The first play should have been a pass to Oliver. If You slow it down you can see the line backers are all watching Mason and Graham while TO is going across on a slant pattern which would be the correct read on that play.
I assumed shuffle = read option
Not sure how he is going to stop and throw with that type of motion. This play just looks like a bust in communication.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
The second to last one looks like a mid-line to me. But then I see that our linemen are blocking all of the defensive line, including the interior linemen. If it were an actual mid-line one of them would go unblocked. So why the fake? Is it a read? If so, who is the QB reading? I don't quite see what's going on.

I like the motion by the slot receiver on that play. Look at how many defenders took a false step.

/

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The second to last one looks like a mid-line to me. But then I see that our linemen are blocking all of the defensive line, including the interior linemen. If it were an actual mid-line one of them would go unblocked. So why the fake? Is it a read? If so, who is the QB reading? I don't quite see what's going on.

I like the motion by the slot receiver on that play. Look at how many defenders took a false step.

/
Yep the motion takes the unblocked linebacker completely out of the play. I’ll have to go back and watch, but I don’t remember is handing off to jet motion much this year.