GT O vs CU O

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Critics of our offense have rightly noted how we've struggled against the better Ds. Defenders of our O have also rightly pointed out that better Ds are called that for a reason. Some have mentioned Clemson's O or OC as preferable to what we have now.

So, I made a comparison for 2013. They faced 2 top 20 Ds and averaged 15.5 ppg against them. We faced 4 and averaged 19.5

We had three common opponents, georgie, syr and uva. Reg time points/drive:

Opp ... GT ... CU
ugag .. 2.8 .. 2,9
Syr .... 4.7 ... 2.9
UVA .. 2.9 ... 3.3

This past year was a down year for our O, but given the recruiting differences, I reckon cu's offense isn't a good alternative.

What say yall?

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. But some flaws.

Surely, Syracuse is an outlier - I am pretty sure we have a few players that are stilling running. We can't expect that in the future.

UGA - we put up a surprising number of points against a weakened D. They played UGA full strength. Same opponent, but not really comparable.

I'm not sure I want to draw any conclusions based on UVA.

/

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree with @Longestday and the OP (I'm assuming @AE 87 is in favor of our O?). I do not believe there is anything wrong with our O. I do not have stats to back this up, but I recall Clemson just outscoring us and nailing each and every big play against us last season. I was at the UGA game, and it just felt like they wore our defense down over time.

I think one of our biggest issues is an inability to play a complete game on both sides of the ball and on special teams. We need to put it all together or get more playmakers that can bail us out of our mistakes.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. But some flaws.

Surely, Syracuse is an outlier - I am pretty sure we have a few players that are stilling running. We can't expect that in the future.

UGA - we put up a surprising number of points against a weakened D. They played UGA full strength. Same opponent, but not really comparable.

I'm not sure I want to draw any conclusions based on UVA.

/
The OP's main point still stands and your "evidence" does not refute it: good offenses can and do struggle against good defenses.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
It just seems like since 2011 we have consistently found ways to lose games.

2011: UVA game (two long plays called back due to penalties), VT game (JA punches Thomas to keep drive going when we had all momentum), Utah (Blew a 14 point 4th quarter lead)

2012: VT (Give up a huge gain after a miss tackle to allow them to tie the game and head to overtime), Miami (Orwin's self inflicted safety), Clemson (fumbled the ball at Clemson 7 up one with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd after our center gets hurt on the previous play and backup has to come in)

2013: VT (just played absolutely the worst game offensively in the CPJ era), UGA (just pissed that game away no other way to say it).

It would be nice if we actually won a close game for a change. It just seems like if its close bet on the other team. Hope that changes this year.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
The Offense is USUALLY good enough to win but the DEf and STs have to do better than normal vs good teams which they usually don't.SOMEHOW we've have to make up for average talent with better coaching but it is VERY hard to do.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
It just seems like since 2011 we have consistently found ways to lose games.

2011: UVA game (two long plays called back due to penalties), VT game (JA punches Thomas to keep drive going when we had all momentum), Utah (Blew a 14 point 4th quarter lead)

2012: VT (Give up a huge gain after a miss tackle to allow them to tie the game and head to overtime), Miami (Orwin's self inflicted safety), Clemson (fumbled the ball at Clemson 7 up one with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd after our center gets hurt on the previous play and backup has to come in)

2013: VT (just played absolutely the worst game offensively in the CPJ era), UGA (just pissed that game away no other way to say it).

It would be nice if we actually won a close game for a change. It just seems like if its close bet on the other team. Hope that changes this year.

I completely agree. Even if half of those games went our way, people's perception of CPJ and this offense would be completely different. It just seems that we haven't gotten the lucky bounces CPJ was used to getting his first two years i.e: FSU (08 and 09), WF(09), uga(08). I agree a lot of it comes down to conditioning and the playmakers on the field, but luck certainly also plays a part in it. Hopefully law of averages is in our favor this year after what we've gone through the last few year.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Great look, but small number of samples. It would be interesting to also compare 2011 and 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.