GT - Miami predictions

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
My biggest concerns are pass rush and safety play. Stephen Morris has one of the best deep balls in CFB, so he will burn us bad if we give him time and let their WR's get behind us. I'm not worried about our CB's at all: Jemea is a beast and Young is pretty good in coverage despite some tackling woes. Our safeties are very green, though, so I am a bit worried about their ability to stay disciplined and not get beat deep.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
38-10. Tech.

To everyone that picked the u. #REALLY??!

Sure. Just because I WANT Tech to win that doesn't mean that I think they will. Ask Vegas. They're predicting Miami to win as well.

Again, I'd love to be wrong. But this is a prediction thread so I gave it my honest opinion.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
To everyone that picked the u. #REALLY??!

Sure, I hope GT mops the floor with Miami and that the great grandchildren of Al Golden will live in shame because the memory of their catastrophic loss on Saturday lingers for generations to come.
If I were a betting man however, I go with the U for the win but GT covers.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Miami's offense has only faced one good/competent defense this year. I'm not convinced they are going to light up GT. Florida still had a (much) higher yardage total than Miami despite losing.

That said, Tech will need some breaks they didn't get in the VT game to win. 31-27... flip a coin.
Note that Florida killed itself by turning the ball over 5 times in that game.

The offensive numbers were ridiculously one-sided, in favor of the Gators. Florida outgained Miami 413-212, had a 22-10 edge in first downs, outran the Hurricanes 122-50, enjoyed nearly a 2-to-1 edge in time of possession and held Miami to an abysmal 1-for-11 effort on third-down chances.

So, as long as we take care of the ball, we have a very good chance of pulling off a win.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
This game I just don't have a good feel for. If Tech comes out and plays to their ability, it's a game Tech can win. We all know what the flip side can be as well. I do feel Tech is going to play well, but will it be enough. 28-21 Miami and, like some other folks, I hate myself for that prediction! :devil:

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Note that Florida killed itself by turning the ball over 5 times in that game.

The offensive numbers were ridiculously one-sided, in favor of the Gators. Florida outgained Miami 413-212, had a 22-10 edge in first downs, outran the Hurricanes 122-50, enjoyed nearly a 2-to-1 edge in time of possession and held Miami to an abysmal 1-for-11 effort on third-down chances.

So, as long as we take care of the ball, we have a very good chance of pulling off a win.
You also have to remember that other than that game, Florida's offense has been absolutely ABYSMAL

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Driving concern for me: It's in Miami. I don't know if it's the humidity or what, but we have not played well in Miami.

Now, the following is just a quick analysis based on stats, so take it for whatever you think it's worth.
They're a fairly balanced offense, about 58% to 42%, rush to pass. And almost half of those carries are Duke Johnson. While that may play to our strength, run D and scheming for one guy, their pass game is like ours in that they seem to like to set-up the big strike. Rightly or wrongly, I really think our D should be able to do pretty well. After that first quarter or so last year, we held them in check until Groh's 4th quarter flop hit. Offensively, we moved the ball and scored fairly well in the 2nd and 3rd qtrs.

Last week, in my vpi prediction, I noted that my concern was GT getting rid of our self-inflicted stuff on offense, but couldn't bring myself to type a vpi victory even then, though it was what I thought. This week, I still don't have a feel for whether our O gets out of its funk, but the news from practice has been somewhat encouraging.

I still think we should be able to do better than last year but will yield some to the setting: 32 - 24 GT.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
At this point I feel like we have no idea what this tech team is capable of. Unc game was raining, played on a short week against VT who has a great defense, waxed Duke in their home stadium. Fairly typical.

We will learn a lot about how this team responds to a loss, plays on the road against a big crowd, and enters as an underdog. Great teams thrive off of situations like this. We've seen Vad's gutsy play before. Maybe he will come out like Nesbitt did in the big games. Everyone knows this a pivotal game that WILL define our season and where we go from here.

If we rise to the occasion and play like I know we can, we beat the Canes by a touchdown. If we fold and go 2012, 42-10 seems about right.

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
The unknown factor here is GT's offense against UM's defense. Miami will score 3-4 touchdowns on talent alone, but I don't expect the GT defense to fold... we haven't seen anything yet to indicate that might happen.

I've been impressed with the way the defense has handled offensive setbacks. Hopefully this trend continues Saturday.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't see Tech winning this game. Bad Steven Morris is gonna have to come out and throw some picks.
Miami has better talent across the board and imo a better coach.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Let's see Al Golden 71-79 W/L 47.3 winning percentage, no conference championships, no bowl wins

Paul Johnson 150-66 W/L 69.4 winning percentage, 2 National Championships, 1 runner up, 5 conference championships, 4 national coach of the year.

I think I'll take Paul Johnson as a coach vs Al Golden.

I've already posted my thoughts about the game, Miami should win. But head to head coaching? I'll stick with CPJ. :)