LOUISVILLE W 16-13 (8-10)
@ SYRACUSE L 16-14 (8-11)
@ BOSTON COLLEGE W 17-14 (9-11)

17-14 overall
9-11 ACC

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's silly to be doing this, but I think we will be slightly better than your picks. My differences in bold.

CLAYTON STATE W 1-0
@ GEORGIA STATE W 2-0
NIU W 3-0
vs UTAH W 4-0
vs MARQ/MISSST W 5-0

NORTH ALABAMA W 6-0
@ IOWA L 6-1
NORTHEASTERN W 7-1
gEORGIA W 8-1
@ UNC L 8-2 (0-1)
ALABAMA STATE W 9-2
CLEMSON W 10-2 (1-1)
VIRGINIA L 10-3 (1-2)
MIAMI L 10-4 (1-3)
@ FLORIDA STATE L 10-5 (1-4)
@ NOTRE DAME L 10-6 (1-5)
PITTSBURGH W 11-6 (2-5)
NC STATE W 12-6 (3-5)
SYRACUSE W 13-6 (4-5)
@ CLEMSON W 14-6 (5-5)
DUKE L 14-7(5-6)
@ LOUISVILLE W 15-7 (6-6)

@ NC STATE W 16-7 (7-6)
NOTRE DAME L 16-8 (7-7)

@ WAKE FOREST L 16-9 (7-8)
VIRGINIA TECH W 17-9 (8-8)

FLORIDA TECH W 18-9
@ PITTSBURGH W 19-9 (9-8)
LOUISVILLE W 20-9 (10-8)
@ SYRACUSE L 20-10 (10-9)
@ BOSTON COLLEGE W 21-10 (11-9)

21-10
overall
11-9 ACC

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think we go 10-10 ACC 9-2 OOC 19-12 overall. That will put us squarely on the bubble, probably a First 4 type team. Winning a game, two to be a lock in the ACCT will help secure a NCAAT bid.

GSt does worry me a little to start but we shouldn’t be losing those games. At Iowa and one of the Ft Myers games could get us. The OOC schedule sets up nicely for some confidence building wins but the RPI or whatever they use won’t be that strong with those teams. Really need to win and stay .500 in acc play to be on the right dude of the bubble come selection Sunday.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
It's silly to be doing this, but I think we will be slightly better than your picks. My differences in bold.

CLAYTON STATE W 1-0
@ GEORGIA STATE W 2-0
NIU W 3-0
vs UTAH W 4-0
vs MARQ/MISSST W 5-0

NORTH ALABAMA W 6-0
@ IOWA L 6-1
NORTHEASTERN W 7-1
gEORGIA W 8-1
@ UNC L 8-2 (0-1)
ALABAMA STATE W 9-2
CLEMSON W 10-2 (1-1)
VIRGINIA L 10-3 (1-2)
MIAMI L 10-4 (1-3)
@ FLORIDA STATE L 10-5 (1-4)
@ NOTRE DAME L 10-6 (1-5)
PITTSBURGH W 11-6 (2-5)
NC STATE W 12-6 (3-5)
SYRACUSE W 13-6 (4-5)
@ CLEMSON W 14-6 (5-5)
DUKE L 14-7(5-6)
@ LOUISVILLE W 15-7 (6-6)

@ NC STATE W 16-7 (7-6)
NOTRE DAME L 16-8 (7-7)

@ WAKE FOREST L 16-9 (7-8)
VIRGINIA TECH W 17-9 (8-8)

FLORIDA TECH W 18-9
@ PITTSBURGH W 19-9 (9-8)
LOUISVILLE W 20-9 (10-8)
@ SYRACUSE L 20-10 (10-9)
@ BOSTON COLLEGE W 21-10 (11-9)

21-10
overall
11-9 ACC
That opening stretch is what usually gets us every year. I see the same start as you but we really need to find a way to win a couple of those and not go 1-5 like we always seem to do. But the back half sets up nicely to make a push late in the year.

BuzzBy

Georgia Tech Fan
I like the optimism..based on historicals, this will be another season to forget. Howard is a single point of failure. Quite a bit of reliance on Dabo or Miles to significantly improve. Unclear who is going to bring the passion and the leadership. I'll forego the discussion on recruiting which is not a CJP strength. Maybe when they get the football thing sorted out AD will take a hard look at GTMBB.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This team seems to be a yr away anyway.NO proven scorer(s) or defenders.On a good shooting night can be a threat but lack of size will be a problem esp on boards..

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This team seems to be a yr away anyway.NO proven scorer(s) or defenders.On a good shooting night can be a threat but lack of size will be a problem esp on boards..

Our starting line up likely goes

6-3, 6-6, 6-7, 6-7, 6-11

That's not really a lack of size against most teams especially since Franklin is a more interior oriented player at the 4 than we've had the past two years.

No proven scorers is a bit of a concern, but college basketball is all about new players stepping up and we have quite a few options with potential to be high level scorers even if they weren't last year.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the optimism..based on historicals, this will be another season to forget. Howard is a single point of failure. Quite a bit of reliance on Dabo or Miles to significantly improve. Unclear who is going to bring the passion and the leadership. I'll forego the discussion on recruiting which is not a CJP strength. Maybe when they get the football thing sorted out AD will take a hard look at GTMBB.
The way Howard played toward the end of last season gives me hope. I do not think he will be a point of failure. There is a lot of unknown since we have some young guys we will need to step into new roles but these guys are also talented. I guess I am more intrigued than anything. I want to see how these guys mesh and grow together. I think we are a year away from having a really good team but I think this team should be fun to watch.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Very optimistic to think this team even has a winning record. Not any real playmakers coming in from a team that lost it's best two players. Maybe the young guys make massive strides, but I think this is a 15-16 type season I'm afraid. Hope I'm wrong though, Go Jackets!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Very optimistic to think this team even has a winning record. Not any real playmakers coming in from a team that lost it's best two players. Maybe the young guys make massive strides, but I think this is a 15-16 type season I'm afraid. Hope I'm wrong though, Go Jackets!

Why do people act like playmakers either show up day 1 playmakers or not at all? That isn't college basketball. Every year there are tons of guys who take big strides and develop into those players. We have guys like Smith, Coleman, Kelly, Maxwell, and Terry that could also show out to be big time playmakers with development. That last part is the thing that is ignored as a possibility, and something that is one of the keys of college basketball.

Also 15-16 we went 8-10 in conference and 21 - 15 overall, so I assume that isn't what you are talking about.

If you are talking about the 14-15 team than the rosters are nothing alike.

Compare the line ups

PGs - This year we have a senior Kyle and a junior Smith. 14-15 had a redshirt freshman Jorgensen starting at PG with Heath backing up. I'd take both of our PGs this year over either of those two.

Along the wings this year we have Coleman, Kelly, Terry, Maxwell, and Moore compared to junior Georges -Hunt, sophomore Bolden, freshman Jackson, soph Stephens. Hunt was more proven overall than anyone we've had this year but I'd take the the top 4 this year over any of the others and I don't think it particularly close, and I think Coleman has a higher ceiling than Hunt did. Jackson would eventually go on to be solid but wasn't as a freshman and it wasn't until Stephens was a senior playing as a stretch 4 that he did much.

In the post it is Howard, Meka and Franklin vs Mitchell, Cox, and Sampson. This is the only spot that I think you could even argue that the 14-15 roster was as good, and even here I don't agree. Mitchell had averaged 6-6 at Maryland, while Cox had spent 4 years at Ole miss with a high in production of 4 and 4. Sampson had average 9 and 9 at ECU before transferring in. I'd take Howard over any of the others, and I'm not sure I wouldn't take Franklin over the others as well. I'd also argue Meka is the best defender of the bunch.

This team is miles better than that team at the PG spot, significantly deeper along the wing, and no worse inside. In general the 14-15 team only returned 5 players, including Jorgenson who played 4 games, and Corey Heyward. This year's team might be losing Mike and Ush but we're returning significantly more.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Why do people act like playmakers either show up day 1 playmakers or not at all? That isn't college basketball. Every year there are tons of guys who take big strides and develop into those players. We have guys like Smith, Coleman, Kelly, Maxwell, and Terry that could also show out to be big time playmakers with development. That last part is the thing that is ignored as a possibility, and something that is one of the keys of college basketball.

Also 15-16 we went 8-10 in conference and 21 - 15 overall, so I assume that isn't what you are talking about.

Compare the line ups

PGs - This year we have a senior Kyle and a junior Smith. 14-15 had a redshirt freshman Jorgensen starting at PG with Heath backing up. I'd take both of our PGs this year over either of those two.

Along the wings this year we have Coleman, Kelly, Terry, Maxwell, and Moore compared to junior Georges -Hunt, sophomore Bolden, freshman Jackson, soph Stephens. Hunt was more proven overall than anyone we've had this year but I'd take the the top 4 this year over any of the others and I don't think it particularly close, and I think Coleman has a higher ceiling than Hunt did. Jackson would eventually go on to be solid but wasn't as a freshman and it wasn't until Stephens was a senior playing as a stretch 4 that he did much.

In the post it is Howard, Meka and Franklin vs Mitchell, Cox, and Sampson. This is the only spot that I think you could even argue that the 14-15 roster was as good, and even here I don't agree. Mitchell had averaged 6-6 at Maryland, while Cox had spent 4 years at Ole miss with a high in production of 4 and 4. Sampson had average 9 and 9 at ECU before transferring in. I'd take Howard over any of the others, and I'm not sure I wouldn't take Franklin over the others as well. I'd also argue Meka is the best defender of the bunch.

This team is miles better than that team at the PG spot, significantly deeper along the wing, and no worse inside. In general the 14-15 team only returned 5 players, including Jorgenson who played 4 games, and Corey Heyward. This year's team might be losing Mike and Ush but we're returning significantly more.
I think he meant the team will finish with a 15-16 record, not that they are similar to the 2015/2016 team.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer

Compare the line ups

I hope we see some huge strides and can get to 20 wins, but from what we've seen out of this staff we have needed some exceptional players to have a winning season. Maybe those guys are on the team this year, I'm just not overly optimistic that they are yet. I think they might be a year away from another 20+ win season. In reference to the 15-16 thing I just meant I think this team will end up with about a .500 record, or slightly worse. I think we will have a much better idea of the team over the next three games.