GT Marketing/public image

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I commented on this in another thread. But why don't we use former athletes to help market our program? I bet half of the people watching the NFL games have no clue that Calvin Johnson and Bey-Bey played for GT. Also we have big time NBA players that we could go to for support. Bobinski should look into getting these guys to help put GT back on the map. It would be a good start to the rebuilding of our reputation nationally. What are yalls thoughts on this? It has really been bugging me and I can't understand not doing this.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Im not sure what you would want players to do, but I agree GT Marketing needs a complete overhall.
1. Social Media
A bonifide socia media campaign.
2. Radio
A strong radio presence
3. Television
Some type of TV representation in the local market

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Get some alumni to do a commercial and play it locally. Get on the air waves and talk GT up. Reach out to them at least a little bit ... Brainstorm. I'm sure most wouldn't mind helping out

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I can't claim to know everything going on behind the scenes, however I agree that the GT brand is not out there in a highly visible way. A few thoughts came to mind that are relevant to this topic:
  1. Calvin was on the sideline for the UGA game. Not sure how many people know that, which I think is the problem. They could have at least put him on the big screen, and if they did then I missed it.
  2. CPJ and GTAthletics were constantly Tweeting about GT alums in the NFL this fall e.g., I saw congratulations to Calvin and Bebe for making the pro bowl.
  3. I remember after Brian Gregory's hire that he was trying to reengage GT basketball alums. I know a lot was done for the opening of McAmish, and coach Cremins had a role in alum outreach as well as evidenced here: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ins-rallying-former-players-program-new-coach
All of this is to say it seems we're making an effort, but I'm not sure how visible the effort nor how successful the results have been.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Why should ESPN apologize. She owned him, and he had to eat crow when his bosses found out.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I commented on this in another thread. But why don't we use former athletes to help market our program? I bet half of the people watching the NFL games have no clue that Calvin Johnson and Bey-Bey played for GT. Also we have big time NBA players that we could go to for support. Bobinski should look into getting these guys to help put GT back on the map. It would be a good start to the rebuilding of our reputation nationally. What are yalls thoughts on this? It has really been bugging me and I can't understand not doing this.

I think we should stop all the whining and win some big games. Radical thought, but worth a try I suppose.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Both were childish.
Both got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.
Both tried to play it off as one big joke when they realized it was bad PR.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Both were childish.
Both got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.
Both tried to play it off as one big joke when they realized it was bad PR.

No...Bamford decided to take smartass swipe at her co-worker, Millen, and Potts used some heavy ammo (Vad Lee + CPJ) to basically tell him he should really worry about other things right now as opposed to taking potshots at ESPN co-workers (no matter how much everyone dislikes Matt Millen).

The reality is, someone representing GT and in Bamford's position shouldn't have said anything to start that whole tit for tat. If GT fans don't see how Bamford erred, then there are some people with gold tinted glasses on.

In end, both parties realized it was getting childish and personal and tried to save face. However, Bamford should not have said anything at all and it wouldn't have gotten to where it ended up.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
No...Bamford decided to take smartass swipe at her co-worker, Millen, and Potts used some heavy ammo (Vad Lee + CPJ) to basically tell him he should really worry about other things right now as opposed to taking potshots at ESPN co-workers (no matter how much everyone dislikes Matt Millen).

The reality is, someone representing GT and in Bamford's position shouldn't have said anything to start that whole tit for tat. If GT fans don't see how Bamford erred, then there are some people with gold tinted glasses on.

In end, both parties realized it was getting childish and personal and tried to save face. However, Bamford should not have said anything at all and it wouldn't have gotten to where it ended up.

I agree. We shouldn't be taking shots at ESPN/Matt Millen, and it's our side that started the whole thing unnecessarily. I'm not a fan of GT antagonizing the media; we know where that leads.

Still, Potts had an opportunity to defend Matt Millen or at the very least take the high road and dismiss the comment. Instead she took the bait and chose to go tit for tat. I think she's less in the wrong, but she didn't help herself as a representative for ESPN either.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree. We shouldn't be taking shots at ESPN/Matt Millen, and it's our side that started the whole thing unnecessarily. I'm not a fan of GT antagonizing the media; we know where that leads.

Still, Potts had an opportunity to defend Matt Millen or at the very least take the high road and dismiss the comment. Instead she took the bait and chose to go tit for tat. I think she's less in the wrong, but she didn't help herself as a representative for ESPN either.

She's a writer, and she'll be seen as defending her co-worker. Bamford's job involves PR, and he's a gatekeeper in terms of representing GT. There's difference between what repsonsibilities the two have for their respective employers. Basically, Bamford's job entails cleaning up PR messes, not creating them.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
She's a writer, and she'll be seen as defending her co-worker. Bamford's job involves PR, and he's a gatekeeper in terms of representing GT. There's difference between what repsonsibilities the two have for their respective employers. Basically, Bamford's job entails cleaning up PR messes, not creating them.

I can get behind that explanation. The good news is after looking a little deeper it appears the situation is overblown.

upload_2014-1-4_18-56-8.png

upload_2014-1-4_18-56-30.png

upload_2014-1-4_18-56-57.png

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I can get behind that explanation. The good news is after looking a little deeper it appears the situation is overblown.

View attachment 99
View attachment 100
View attachment 101

I call BS...ESPN and GT told them to make it right on Twitter. Bamford sent Potts flowers and Potts sent Bamford baked goods behind the scenes.

In all seriousness...that was pretty funny. People need to take twitter fights more seriously...

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I agree that doesn't help anything. Not a good week for GT. I agree winning usually cures all. But we need to sell GT better to the recruits and I think having former superstar players saying they loved GT and why .... It could grab a few more athletes for us to utilize.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Georgia Tech needs to get their name on anything and every thing they can. The licensing committee is so particular that they only have a few favorite gear manufacturers they'll license. I have tried to get the Georgia Tech licensing committee to license Prep Sportswear which I have purchased much apparel, but they won't do it. It seems to me whatever way you can get your name out there is good. We're walking/talking billboards for Georgia Tech Athletics when we wear their gear; not only that but they get a royalty from it. What is their (licensing board) problem?!?!

This is an e-mail I just sent Ryan Bamford........

Hey Ryan,

Look at what PrepSportswear is doing now. You can build your own store with your favorite team. I know you’re a graduate of Ithaca College, so I built you an Ithaca football gear on-line store. Please ask the Licensing committee to reconsider their recommendation of Prep Sportswear. Georgia Tech is getting left behind promotionally and I keep hearing from alumni and Tech Fans that want to have more options in procuring Tech Gear. Remember we’re wearing Georgia Tech on our bodies J…

http://www.prepsportswear.com/team/...ProductList.aspx?category=32&schoolid=2895629

http://www.prepsportswear.com/team/...List.aspx?category=32&schoolid=2894668&page=0

http://www.prepsportswear.com/produ...uctid=38&pc=gold&category=32&d=46086&up_ss2=m

http://www.prepsportswear.com/vinta...List.aspx?category=32&schoolid=2858213&page=0

If the Licensing committee would work with these folks, they would create some great Tech Gear.

Looking forward to 2014 ‘toe meets leather’

Regards - Lex

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
I have noticed that GT needs to keep up with the rest of major CFB. I think we have done the right things with the recruiting staff but need to improve other areas. GT is in atlanta and we need to be heard and seen more meaning that there needs to be better marketing for the GTA. Also need to ditch russell and get on board with 98% of CFB and have a real brand that people actually like. These things would change the precepton of GT. No recruit wants our uniforms or gear. Recruits want to be known not hidden like GT is in our own state. We need to make things happen