GT Love on CBSSports: "OreST Should Run the Option"

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Fake news. How long was our bowl streak when we started running the option? How many years were we ranked under O'Leary running a multiple offense?
The program was not on an Oregon State level when we went to the option. Not even close. In fact, we have had more years not being bowl eligible in the 9 years running the option than we did in the nine and more prior years.
Typical CBS. Create a point then distort the facts to fit. Not a compliment to GT of any type.

BC_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Fake news. How long was our bowl streak when we started running the option? How many years were we ranked under O'Leary running a multiple offense?
The program was not on an Oregon State level when we went to the option. Not even close. In fact, we have had more years not being bowl eligible in the 9 years running the option than we did in the nine and more prior years.
Typical CBS. Create a point then distort the facts to fit. Not a compliment to GT of any type.
How many major bowl games did we play in when we were not running the option?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty funny. Apparently the article is full of pretty egregious errors too. Can I pretend I posted it as a goof now?
I thought National Media only did wrong stuff about Tech and no one else. Aren't they all in a conspiracy against only us??

Anyway I absolutely think OreSt should try to hire Monken or Jasper. I've always had a soft spot for OreSt since their darling year of 08

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the article is wrong in concept.

The offense allows less talented teams to compete with more talented teams. If you're a less talented team, it seems to me to be a logical choice. Teams like Oregon State, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Wake Forest should all consider it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Basically....the scheme, when run by a very good OC, using tough hard working players, can overcome teams with more overall talent on a more consistent basis than the majority of other schemes that are more widely utilized in college football.

Does that pretty much sum up the philosophy?

Read this article and frankly as I have said, more teams should run CPJs offense....maybe. Fact is CPJ is the master and there are a few disciples that do pretty good. But how many can really do it. My son plays high school football and while his team runs the Texas Tech offense, he does play a few teams that try to run the Flex bone. And the fact is none can seem to do it well. I understand Marist runs it or did and was somewhat successful.

What is funny though is read the comments of the article. Opinion...boring offense, can't win when you have time to prepare etc. People who don't watch it.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...to-find-a-new-identity-by-running-the-option/

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

FWIW, I really don't think that you understand the impact of APR on Tech. Also, I don't think you appreciate the difference between the ACC of 2002-2007 and the ACC of today.

BC_Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I’d consider the two gator bowls and the peach bowl to be major bowl games in a pre-playoff world.

I’d take the 98-00 teams over any since.
See the note above on the APR impact. I agree on the teams from 98-00...but I don't think you would see those same players in GT uniforms under today's environment.

Jmonty71

Banned
Read this article and frankly as I have said, more teams should run CPJs offense....maybe. Fact is CPJ is the master and there are a few disciples that do pretty good. But how many can really do it. My son plays high school football and while his team runs the Texas Tech offense, he does play a few teams that try to run the Flex bone. And the fact is none can seem to do it well. I understand Marist runs it or did and was somewhat successful.

What is funny though is read the comments of the article. Opinion...boring offense, can't win when you have time to prepare etc. People who don't watch it.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...to-find-a-new-identity-by-running-the-option/
When I played at Villa Rica, in the late 80s... (State Championship, one year). We ran a flex bone.. We had a very talented QB, that would throw and run. If the guy had more common sense than god promised a billy goat, he would of been in college. But, instead... He was arrested for selling dope. Yeah.... Nowadays, you can do that and sill play for some schools. But, not in the late 80s.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Love this zinger towards Oregon State's of the world, "Now, if Georgia Tech, a program with an actual football history and national titles can run the option, why can't other Power Five programs?"

Shots FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!

As for Oregon State going with our option attack offense, I think it would do wonders for them (assuming they can run it semi-efficiently). Just looking at the Pac-12 offenses, they are mainly on the opposite side of the spectrum in terms of offense; i.e. Air Raid offenses. So I think by going to the CPJ option attack offense, they can do some serious damage since the defenses in the PAC-12 are not familiar with it and not built to stop it.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
See the note above on the APR impact. I agree on the teams from 98-00...but I don't think you would see those same players in GT uniforms under today's environment.

But a majority of universities are proud of their Athletic teams success, and not something that should be punished.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think the article is wrong in concept.

The offense allows less talented teams to compete with more talented teams. If you're a less talented team, it seems to me to be a logical choice. Teams like Oregon State, Ole Miss, Rutgers, Wake Forest should all consider it.
Dead on target. Talented players go to schools that run pro sets. That is where the best chance for winning and reaching the pros are. The TO as johnson presents it is for schools that know they are not as talented so they stand a better chance to confuse their opponents. Bless any footballplayers that come to Tech, I support them, but the chance for championships are limited.