GT / Louisville

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I read the NCAA report and while they did give a mild tongue lashing for allowing Bell the acess he had, they pretty much explicitly said that it was not cause for major sanctions. What I read that was the major sanctions were entirely because of the LaBarrie/Jack Cheetah fiasco and specially because LaBarrie initially lied about the incident when first approached by the NCAA.

if you read the whole report this is exactly what the NCAA said/did.
They didn't care too much about Bell, but they were seriously upset with the LaBarrie/Jacl/Strip club incident - and especially upset with LaBarrie lying to them on 2 separate occassions. That is what garnered the majpr sanctions.

We could not fire Pastner because he was not found liable by the NCAA for any major violations - which is what we needed to fire him with cause.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
The idea behind our offense under Pastner has been to create spacing to attack the rim off the drive because of the lack of natural shooters/scorers.

The Princeton offense was a good choice because of Lammers. He was an effective trigger man because of his face-up ability, his passing ability and his court awareness. It worked surprisingly well in year one because we had Q Stephens and Okogie at the wings and defenses had to at least respect their shooting range. Those three (Lammers, Okogie and Stephens) were enough to give defenses something to think about despite the horrific lack of outside shooting ability of our guards.

After year one things got dicey. Q was gone and replaced by Gueye. Gueye didn't fit the Princeton offense. He wasn't robust enough to be a Center on defense, didn't have the playmaking ability to be the high post trigger and he lacked the face-up ability to play one of the "Four-out" spots. He couldn't do what Q did. That left us with two post scorers and that messed-up the spacing of the Princeton offense.

By year three we lost both Lammers and Okogie and neither Banks nor Gueye could replace Lammers. The perimeter guys suffered an epic shooting slump and nothing was working well. Banks did start to show some capacity to catch and distribute the ball late in the season but that might have been a net negative because it gave the staff hope that he could fill the Lammers role in the offense.

But this season, Banks demonstrated the bad hands and bad court awareness again. He is no Lammers. And Moses right was out of place in the corner. Wright was no Q. But Wright is very productive when he gets the ball at the elbow. So finally, the staff scrapped the Princeton offense because the personnel did not match the scheme. We now move the defense via the guards breaking down the perimeter defense off the dribble via pick and rolls. This is pretty standard stuff, it looks less dynamic because the players off the ball wait to cut until the guard has achieved daylight. But our version is way more dynamic than similar sets seen under Gregory or Hewitt's teams after Jarret Jack.

The Princeton offense has gone kaput at Gt for three reasons:

1. After Lammers, we didn't have a Center who could be a high post trigger/face-up threat.
2. Our Power forwards since Q have not had the skill set to be a perimeter threat but have been post scoring threats.
3. Persistent lack of three point shooting to spread the floor.

Gigberia and Kai Sotto could definitely solve problem #1. But Wright is back next year and he doesn't fit the "One-in, Four-out" prototype for a PF. Neither does Meka. I dont know if we go back to recruiting for the Princeton set again or not. Probably not?

Good analysis and worthy of a separate thread topic. IMO, Sjolund could be a wildcard for next season, especially if he improves his footwork on defense. We know he can shoot and having a threat like him on the court could help open things up for slashers.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree on Sjolund. He could be a "Four-Out" forward in the Princeton offense.
He came in a tweener that rendered him a defensive liability. He was too big and lacked the quickness to defend wings, but he wasn't strong enough and his game was too finesse to defend the 4. That kinda left him without a position.

But he is a fluid offensive player who can easily create space to get shots up.

I think if he has a chance, then he and the staff have to get him stronger and develop in him a willingness to stick his nose in there in the paint.

A slight tangent, I wonder whether our switch away from the Princeton offense is what prompted Sjolund to explore a transfer and what he was really talking about when he was tweeting about the direction of the program. Maybe he wasn't referring to a downward trajectory, but questioning his role in a changing system.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
especially upset with LaBarrie lying to them on 2 separate occassions. That is what garnered the majpr sanctions.

I haven't read the NCAA report verbatim, but everything I've read says this. I don't think they would've been thrilled with everything, but they really really don't like being lied to. Especially twice.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I haven't read the NCAA report verbatim, but everything I've read says this. I don't think they would've been thrilled with everything, but they really really don't like being lied to. Especially twice.
They also were very unhappy that he tried to get Moore to lie about what happened. While I was a fan of DLab, his actions after the fact were what really caused the book to be thrown at us.

Deleted member 2897

Well the NCAA sometimes cares, but sometimes not. We have coaches on recorded phone calls discussing paying players, and they don’t care. We have live national TV showing players getting played wads of cash, and the NCAA doesn’t care. We have teams like Kansas that made fun of the NCAA’s impotence by having mock hookers and cash and cocaine parties during their midnight madness season kick off, and the NCAA doesn’t care.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The idea behind our offense under Pastner has been to create spacing to attack the rim off the drive because of the lack of natural shooters/scorers.

The Princeton offense was a good choice because of Lammers. He was an effective trigger man because of his face-up ability, his passing ability and his court awareness. It worked surprisingly well in year one because we had Q Stephens and Okogie at the wings and defenses had to at least respect their shooting range. Those three (Lammers, Okogie and Stephens) were enough to give defenses something to think about despite the horrific lack of outside shooting ability of our guards.

After year one things got dicey. Q was gone and replaced by Gueye. Gueye didn't fit the Princeton offense. He wasn't robust enough to be a Center on defense, didn't have the playmaking ability to be the high post trigger and he lacked the face-up ability to play one of the "Four-out" spots. He couldn't do what Q did. That left us with two post scorers and that messed-up the spacing of the Princeton offense.

By year three we lost both Lammers and Okogie and neither Banks nor Gueye could replace Lammers. The perimeter guys suffered an epic shooting slump and nothing was working well. Banks did start to show some capacity to catch and distribute the ball late in the season but that might have been a net negative because it gave the staff hope that he could fill the Lammers role in the offense.

But this season, Banks demonstrated the bad hands and bad court awareness again. He is no Lammers. And Moses right was out of place in the corner. Wright was no Q. But Wright is very productive when he gets the ball at the elbow. So finally, the staff scrapped the Princeton offense because the personnel did not match the scheme. We now move the defense via the guards breaking down the perimeter defense off the dribble via pick and rolls. This is pretty standard stuff, it looks less dynamic because the players off the ball wait to cut until the guard has achieved daylight. But our version is way more dynamic than similar sets seen under Gregory or Hewitt's teams after Jarret Jack.

The Princeton offense has gone kaput at Gt for three reasons:

1. After Lammers, we didn't have a Center who could be a high post trigger/face-up threat.
2. Our Power forwards since Q have not had the skill set to be a perimeter threat but have been post scoring threats.
3. Persistent lack of three point shooting to spread the floor.

Gigberia and Kai Sotto could definitely solve problem #1. But Wright is back next year and he doesn't fit the "One-in, Four-out" prototype for a PF. Neither does Meka. I dont know if we go back to recruiting for the Princeton set again or not. Probably not?

Thanks for this.

This post explains the data from my observations pretty well.

IIrc, we came into the season expecting to be able to hit ~40% 3pt, and we couldn't get close.

I think it's actually testimony to a good coaching staff to be able to make the change in offense.

Apart from Cuse, we could be favorites down the stretch. 17 or 18 wins going into the ACC tournament and ready to make a run.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
A slight tangent, I wonder whether our switch away from the Princeton offense is what prompted Sjolund to explore a transfer and what he was really talking about when he was tweeting about the direction of the program. Maybe he wasn't referring to a downward trajectory, but questioning his role in a changing system.
I have this memory that there was an interview with Sjolund when he committed or signed where he said the coaches told him they wanted to use him the way they were using Lammers, so this theory kind of makes sense to me.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

We went into the year committed to the Princeton offense. Wasn't till after Hawaii that we switched so I can't see that was the reason for Sjolund. I expect it was simply the obvious - he needed the year to get stronger and lighter on his feet while recognizing he was going to be down the bench for PT.

GTFLETCH

Banned
This is CJP best win to date at GT!!! I am wondering if it is a bit late, but if he can run the tables in the last six games and enter the ACC tournament with a Conf record of 12-8... I will jump on the CJP bandwagon and quit calling for a new Coach.... Go Jackets!!! Wreck Wake!!