GT in 2017 Kickoff Game?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Would love to see us a play a "traditional" SEC rival like 'Bama, Auburn, Tennessee...even Florida. That place would be packed.

As for more GT exposure, I think GT needs to take a page out of GA State's book and start scrimmaging at various high schools during the spring in counties like Cobb, Gwinnett, Dekalb...local places but with a lot of recruiting density.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Agree. Would love to see us a play a "traditional" SEC rival like 'Bama, Auburn, Tennessee...even Florida. That place would be packed.

As for more GT exposure, I think GT needs to take a page out of GA State's book and start scrimmaging at various high schools during the spring in counties like Cobb, Gwinnett, Dekalb...local places but with a lot of recruiting density.

I would prefer to play a big name school from the west coast. No point in the game being a recruiting bonus for the teams we compete against for recruits. Let's shut the SEC out of the game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It won't be up to us.

The point of the game is to bring tourists and fans to Atlanta and spend $$$. Fans of teams from the west are less likely to do that than fans from Southeastern schools. It's also one of the reasons why it's been so hard to get GT into the game...our fanbase for the most part is here and we don't have a big fanbase to begin with.

I would prefer to play a big name school from the west coast. No point in the game being a recruiting bonus for the teams we compete against for recruits. Let's shut the SEC out of the game.
Ah, the celebration of our diversity as it relates to opinions concerning our football program. Thinking outside the box, I like it. Washington Huskies versus the Yellow Jackets. A robust crowd of 18,000 creating a deafening din.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
It won't be up to us.

The point of the game is to bring tourists and fans to Atlanta and spend $$$. Fans of teams from the west are less likely to do that than fans from Southeastern schools. It's also one of the reasons why it's been so hard to get GT into the game...our fanbase for the most part is here and we don't have a big fanbase to begin with.
Would love to see us play USCe. When is the last time we have even played them? I'd say a game with them is due.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We have a home and away with Ole Miss during that time so they're not an option. Of course, this is all moot if we can't getting something worked out so we're officially a team for the event.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Would it really be beneficial to get curb stomped by Alabama? I vote Tennessee or Ole Miss.
Mutts were about the same as Bammer last year. We didn't exactly get "curb stomped".

Frankly I don't get the SEC ***** envy. I may be mistaken but isn't the OOC record of NFL-lite against all the pretenders the last 5-10 years something hovering around .550 which to me is not shaking in your boots dominating results. Granted they've done well in high visibility games but they've also been lucky enough to have the real competition stub their toe late in rivalry games, etc most years and ended up playing the weakest of the top competition instead of the best.

I'm not buying the drivel from the homers. There's a noticeable absence of top teams within their conference playing each other whereas every year the top teams draw UK, Miss, etc every single year. Odds of that happening are ao far off the chart you'd have a better chance of winning Powerball.

You know the ones that have a .003 winning percentage against the top half of the conference. You can guarantee they all have Bammer, LSU, Auburn, Mutts and Cocks.

On the other hand, nobody gives a crap because it's just one old guy's opinion. ESPN tells everyone else what to think.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Mutts were about the same as Bammer last year. We didn't exactly get "curb stomped".

Frankly I don't get the SEC ***** envy. I may be mistaken but isn't the OOC record of NFL-lite against all the pretenders the last 5-10 years something hovering around .550 which to me is not shaking in your boots dominating results. Granted they've done well in high visibility games but they've also been lucky enough to have the real competition stub their toe late in rivalry games, etc most years and ended up playing the weakest of the top competition instead of the best.

I'm not buying the drivel from the homers. There's a noticeable absence of top teams within their conference playing each other whereas every year the top teams draw UK, Miss, etc every single year. Odds of that happening are ao far off the chart you'd have a better chance of winning Powerball.

You know the ones that have a .003 winning percentage against the top half of the conference. You can guarantee they all have Bammer, LSU, Auburn, Mutts and Cocks.

On the other hand, nobody gives a crap because it's just one old guy's opinion. ESPN tells everyone else what to think.

Bama and UGA the same last season?? Wow, maybe you should check the tape again. Maybe a healthy UGA has a chance but the UGA team we faced would've lost by 3 TD's to Bama. They are on a different level than us and I see a 42-17 type game with them ramming the ball down our throats and us not being able to do anything about it. Now, Tennessee or Ole Miss would be interesting.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
We have a home and away with Ole Miss during that time so they're not an option. Of course, this is all moot if we can't getting something worked out so we're officially a team for the event.

Why not? How difficult would it be to play them in this game then still play the home and home?

thwgjacket

Good post. I'm not one to buy into the SEC hype either. Only counterpoint I will offer is that there may be a perception that the top teams in the SEC play weak opponents in the crossover games because for a couple of years the SEC East was pretty bad. I remember making some SEC East short bus jokes a few years ago. To be fair LSU, Alabama and Auburn are probably the best teams in the SEC and they will all play each other because they are in the SEC West.

Sorry to go off topic. My vote is Tennessee. Huge fan base, winnable game. Best case scenario in my mind.