GT Hoops General Topics

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Interesting indeed as UT canned him today apparently.

Were they unhappy with his performance OTJ? Wonder if this was there 'out', if so.
I have heard some things that I have no way of confirming regarding Beard off the court. Texas also likely had little interest trying to defend hanging on to him as a trial via public opinion would not go their way. It end up being a “Obviously basketball is more important than domestic abuse” regardless of his wives story(which didn’t make a ton of sense btw)

If they can avoid the court of public opinion and save $35MM to put towards another home run hire that will satisfy the fanbase and maintain a high level of success, that is a win, win…win. Why not?

There has been grumbling in Lexington…

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
O rly? Don't be scared to spill a little tea.....
There was an article I read the other day the some are regretting the lifetime contract given to Cal in 2019. It will all go away over the next four weeks as Calipari almost always gets his teams together in January

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Attachments

• 07779B4C-A4A1-4340-8F93-C064C241F3D8.jpeg
    07779B4C-A4A1-4340-8F93-C064C241F3D8.jpeg
    472.9 KB · Views: 35

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Beard was involved in a domestic situation. The alleged victim recanted after realizing her meal ticket was about to be lost. Texas was having none of it. Beard was a UT alum who won a Natty at TT. How many schools would fire an alum with a top 5 ranked team who had not been convicted of anything?

Texas is a school that is concerned about its reputation. I can't for the life of me figure out why they want to join the SEC, except that A&M has been out recruiting them (which didn't do Jimbo much good this year). Kids want to play in the SEC--same problem we have with the Dwags (and no, academics aren't our main issue).

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Beard was involved in a domestic situation. The alleged victim recanted after realizing her meal ticket was about to be lost. Texas was having none of it. Beard was a UT alum who won a Natty at TT. How many schools would fire an alum with a top 5 ranked team who had not been convicted of anything?

Texas is a school that is concerned about its reputation. I can't for the life of me figure out why they want to join the SEC, except that A&M has been out recruiting them (which didn't do Jimbo much good this year). Kids want to play in the SEC--same problem we have with the Dwags (and no, academics aren't our main issue).
Slight correction, he played for the title while at TT, but he didn't win it. UVA beat them 85-77 in OT.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
1C21D508-C4F1-4A81-B99F-985316601F69.jpeg

Watched our old friend Brian Gregory (pacing the sideline here just right of the official) get the War on I-4 win tonight. Really chippy game - 2.5 hour runtime, several technicals (and reviews to assess technicals). Nice arena at UCF. I wish McCamish stacked suites on one side like this rather than the upper deck - the arena probably feels cavernous from the bench side due to the massive upper deck but it feels super cozy from this angle. Going to be a great place to watch Big XII games. Points deducted for the closed concourse though.

Their student section was fantastic, at least tonight for the rivalry game but this school is also like 70k students so of course attendance is not an issue.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Or, like most victims of domestic violence, re-living the trauma by participating in a highly publicized prosecution was too much to deal with so a woman-beater walks away. It's especially difficult since most folks treat him like the victim because he's famous.

He still did what he did. Maybe TX knew the details and could no longer stomach being in the same room with a guy that would treat a woman that way.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Or, like most victims of domestic violence, re-living the trauma by participating in a highly publicized prosecution was too much to deal with so a woman-beater walks away. It's especially difficult since most folks treat him like the victim because he's famous.

He still did what he did. Maybe TX knew the details and could no longer stomach being in the same room with a guy that would treat a woman that way.
Ok, but we should still fall over backwards to hire this guy, right? Because, you know, all good coaches have to also be low-life scum bags. You know that, right? If you’re not a piece of ****, then there’s no way you can be a good basketball coach. Apparently, that’s just the way it is. I’ve heard this is true for football coaches too. [sarcasm]

MidtownJacket

Staff member