GT Hoops General Topics

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I’m thinking he’ll average double digits next year…
I think he, Deebo and Jalon take major steps next season. We have a solid core that will more than likely be 4 year guys. If we can lake an impact guy at the 5 spot, whether it be for a year or two, we could be a really solid team next season. But the PG and 5 spots long term are what we need to really long term to set this team up to be successful.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think he, Deebo and Jalon take major steps next season. We have a solid core that will more than likely be 4 year guys. If we can lake an impact guy at the 5 spot, whether it be for a year or two, we could be a really solid team next season. But the PG and 5 spots long term are what we need to really long term to set this team up to be successful.
I'd be willing to bet that Kyle has something to say about the PG spot next year. Don't be surprised if he looks like a different player next season.

He knows it is his team now, and I think that he and Deivon will be a difficult pair to contain when they both get going.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
He knows it is his team now, and I think that he and Deivon will be a difficult pair to contain when they both get going.
I think some are underestimating the experience we are bring back at the PG position. I do wonder who will be the 3rd PG moreso in case of an injury. Does anyone else have the handles to effectively man the position if needed?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd be willing to bet that Kyle has something to say about the PG spot next year. Don't be surprised if he looks like a different player next season.

Deivon has looked REALLY good at times...but he's also looked out of control and a liability. IMO, if he puts it all together, he could be the biggest surprise next season. He has elite speed and athelticism, and he rebounds well for a PG. He needs that chip on his shoulder that Alvarado had...and has to learn to value possessions.

Kyle, IMO, is what he is. We've seen his upside, and I think it's safe to say he'll be a steady hand at PG and will run the team well, but he won't consistently put the team on his shoulders and will us to victory. In a way, he reminds me of a bigger body Josh Heath.

I think the freshmen (Coleman, Kelly, Jalon) will have more room to run next year. The fact that we were so upperclassman dominant last year kinda made them defer a bit. Next year they are the foundation and will be the main options. Kelly is going to be GOOD. I loved his tape coming out of HS and thought he displayed a characteristic that most good players have: the confidence to "try sh!t" and beat their man. Coleman probably has the highest ceiling, but he needs to own it.

We'll see. I think in a way Pastner's system is a bit rigid and doesn't help creative players, but if everyone is on the same page, the defensive end is really fun to watch.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
he displayed a characteristic that most good players have: the confidence to "try sh!t" and beat their man.
This is what I am looking for in a player and the importance of this quality is enormous.

We can call it many things: assertiveness, creativity, fluidity, basketball IQ, whatever.

There is a lot of emphasis on guys not making mistakes. But the absence of bad is not a replacement for doing good. The basketball doesn't magically go in the basket just because you don't turn the ball over. Alvarado made good things happen on both ends. We missed this quality last season as Devoe had scoring skills but he didn't make defenses think or move too much. Having him dribble into double a triple teams in the paint 12 times a game is not great offense.

We need for guys to challenge defenses by thinking on their feet and "trying ****." I agree that Kelly is the guy most likely to do that next year, although I have hopes for Smith and Terry as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is what I am looking for in a player and the importance of this quality is enormous.

We can call it many things: assertiveness, creativity, fluidity, basketball IQ, whatever.

There is a lot of emphasis on guys not making mistakes. But the absence of bad is not a replacement for doing good. The basketball doesn't magically go in the basket just because you don't turn the ball over. Alvarado made good things happen on both ends. We missed this quality last season as Devoe had scoring skills but he didn't make defenses think or move too much. Having him dribble into double a triple teams in the paint 12 times a game is not great offense.

We need for guys to challenge defenses by thinking on their feet and "trying ****." I agree that Kelly is the guy most likely to do that next year, although I have hopes for Smith and Terry as well.
Agree 100%

Deivon has some of it...and it was manly beating his man off the dribble with his elite speed and athleticism. Which is fine...we need a guy that can do that.

Maxwell, in his very brief appearance, showed some the "try ****" ability as well. And he's not afraid to create his own shot.

There's offense weapons. We'll see how it works out next season.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think this is going to be an interesting thing to watch. We have all heard the rumors that we will be moving off of some of the Princeton sets we saw forced (which many of us have been asking for) and have a roster that seems set up to run with more continuity/flow. My biggest question is how will a less rigid O (if we do indeed move toward that approach) changes our ability to execute on D.

We have got a legit ACC Defense when we are on - and I in the camp that believes we gotta keep that intact at the risk of less stellar O Output until and unless we show we have got a new set of GoldBlooded Shooters out there. Pastner teams, regardless of O Scheme, are tempo and pacing teams that will require controlling pace of play ala UVA as opposed to getting out and running like some of those other cats in our league.

Either way - the bourbon is in the bar, and I am ready for the upcoming season.