GT hiring former Miss St and Florida DL coach David Turner

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Orange Bowl was Dec 31 and Collins leaving Miss State was made public on
Dec 16.

Mullins was not happy with Collins making a lateral move and said so publicly. Prior to this Mullins had given Collins a public tongue lashing for the way in which Ole Miss repeatedly gashed the defense. Mississippi State was last in the SEC in giving chunk yardage. Mullins particularly did not like the pass defense, “A terrible job by our defensive coaching staff.”

Apparently Mullins thought his coaches should be able to take criticism.
Right. About halfway between the Egg Bowl and the Orange Bowl. Florida is an upward move from MSU.MSU finished 23 in scoring defense. Tech was the only team to score a boat load against them. Apparently, successful people have choices as to staying or leaving an organization. Good managers know this and respond accordingly.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Orange Bowl was Dec 31 and Collins leaving Miss State was made public on
Dec 16.

Mullins was not happy with Collins making a lateral move and said so publicly. Prior to this Mullins had given Collins a public tongue lashing for the way in which Ole Miss repeatedly gashed the defense. Mississippi State was last in the SEC in giving chunk yardage. Mullins particularly did not like the pass defense, “A terrible job by our defensive coaching staff.”

Apparently Mullins thought his coaches should be able to take criticism.
So let’s get this straight:
-Mullen publicly criticized Collins for leaving the Defensive Coordinator job at Mississippi State to take the same job at UF.
-Mullen then, several years later, leaves Mississippi State to take the same job at. . . Wait for it. . . UF.
-Despite being a coach whose specialty is offense, Mullen publicly criticized finer points of a defense that was considered one of the best in the conference and the nation.
-Despite the offense (you know, the phase of the game that Mullen is known for) only scoring 17 points, Mullen decides that allowing 31 points against a conference opponent is the “Terrible job” that not only needs to be called out but called out publicly.
-And after throwing his defensive coordinator under the bus publicly, Mullen was upset that the guy who did such a “terrible job” was leaving.

Do I have all of that correct?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So let’s get this straight:
-Mullen publicly criticized Collins for leaving the Defensive Coordinator job at Mississippi State to take the same job at UF.
-Mullen then, several years later, leaves Mississippi State to take the same job at. . . Wait for it. . . UF.
-Despite being a coach whose specialty is offense, Mullen publicly criticized finer points of a defense that was considered one of the best in the conference and the nation.
-Despite the offense (you know, the phase of the game that Mullen is known for) only scoring 17 points, Mullen decides that allowing 31 points against a conference opponent is the “Terrible job” that not only needs to be called out but called out publicly.
-And after throwing his defensive coordinator under the bus publicly, Mullen was upset that the guy who did such a “terrible job” was leaving.

Do I have all of that correct?
Yes. That’s my understanding. Weird way to operate.

But, to be fair, in spite of Miss State having one of the top defenses in the country they were dead last in the SEC in giving up big pass plays. And no one else was even close to as bad.

Still weird to call someone out and then be upset they left.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Right. About halfway between the Egg Bowl and the Orange Bowl. Florida is an upward move from MSU.MSU finished 23 in scoring defense. Tech was the only team to score a boat load against them. Apparently, successful people have choices as to staying or leaving an organization. Good managers know this and respond accordingly.
It was considered a lateral move in all the sports pages at the time but I probably would not have stayed either after being publicly thrown under the bus.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It was considered a lateral move in all the sports pages at the time but I probably would not have stayed either after being publicly thrown under the bus.
Yep. And it’s not as though he had to lie or refuse to acknowledge the defense’s poor performance. He just needed to have some tact. “You know, our defense has played pretty well this season, but that game wasn’t the kind of performance we’ve come to expect from them. And it’s disappointing to come out like to close out the regular season. But we’ve still got one more game to play, and we’re going to try to finish the year on a high note. And I can’t put all the blame on the defense. The offense has to score more than 17 points if we expect to win games.” I wrote that off the top of my head, and it does a better job of answering the questions, showing accountability, and not throwing people under the bus. And I don’t even have practice giving press conferences.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yep. And it’s not as though he had to lie or refuse to acknowledge the defense’s poor performance. He just needed to have some tact. “You know, our defense has played pretty well this season, but that game wasn’t the kind of performance we’ve come to expect from them. And it’s disappointing to come out like to close out the regular season. But we’ve still got one more game to play, and we’re going to try to finish the year on a high note. And I can’t put all the blame on the defense. The offense has to score more than 17 points if we expect to win games.” I wrote that off the top of my head, and it does a better job of answering the questions, showing accountability, and not throwing people under the bus. And I don’t even have practice giving press conferences.
Wasn't that game the week after the loss at Alabama? It's probably not the only time someone has suffered a Bama hangover. Were they still no.1 going into that game?

WraleighWreck

Georgia Tech Fan
So, so
Yes. That’s my understanding. Weird way to operate.

But, to be fair, in spite of Miss State having one of the top defenses in the country they were dead last in the SEC in giving up big pass plays. And no one else was even close to as bad.

Still weird to call someone out and then be upset they left.
Seems like I have seen this stat before….just change SEC to ACC. Has this problem
plagued collins led Ds at other stops because it sure has been an issue at Tech. Maybe his vaunted defenses elsewhere have been able to make up for that weakness with much stronger play in the box but without that strength here, nothing works well and we get the consistently bad defenses we have seen for 3 years. Seems like a systemic issue, not just that our db coaches were bad.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
So, so

Seems like I have seen this stat before….just change SEC to ACC. Has this problem
plagued collins led Ds at other stops because it sure has been an issue at Tech. Maybe his vaunted defenses elsewhere have been able to make up for that weakness with much stronger play in the box but without that strength here, nothing works well and we get the consistently bad defenses we have seen for 3 years. Seems like a systemic issue, not just that our db coaches were bad.
A good QB who gets hot can beat any defense. I didn't think anyone could burn UGa's defense consistently until I marveled at Bryce Young in the sec championship. Same with Pickett in the 2nd half vs Clemson.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So, so

As we all know statistics can be twisted different ways to say different things. Mississippi State was very strong in the red zone in 2014 but overall the 2 years Collins was there were not that remarkable one way or the other. One year MS had the 33rd best defense in the country and the next year was 23rd best.

His Florida record was much better being ranked 10th and 11th in the nation. But they had 9 upperclassmen starters on those team in Collins’ final year. He left for Temple at a good time, both by leaving Florida when the leadership of the defense was leaving and going to a Temple team that was a ten win team the previous 2 years. IIRC

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If Collins had done all this last year, everything might be wildly different now.
it could work gene wilder GIF
I think if not for the Covid year, it probably would have happened last year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If we don't show life at end of year, the portal will be brutal and hiring a real coach will be difficult.

If we dump Collins and thacker early in year, could the new hire move up to DC and help w a turn around.?
As I understand it, that would cost us $7 million more than if we wait until the end of the season. If so, that's not going to happen.

JacketFan137

Banned
An alabama team that was allowing 71 yards on the ground to people gave up 301 to Georgia southern AND they gave up a kickoff return for touchdown i think from southerns starting BB that game. If it wasn't a return for TD it was a long return can't remember
for a team that’s not used to playing against it the option is so dangerous. navy and army have shown that taking some really big games down to the wire with schools like notre dame, michigan, and oklahoma in recent years