GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
After listening to the basic level of football knowledge, I understand that this program is doomed. Under CPJ the program maxed out on 0-3 star recruits. Is Collins the right guy? It looks doubtful. Is it possible? Sure. Another recruiting class looms. Will they have sufficient talent to win? Will they coach them up? Ted Lasso is just a TV show. Even the now lowly ACC is too tough for platitudes to win. If ya’ll are right, let us go get another service academy coach. (BTW Shaq Mason was the exception, not the rule. When was the last time this school had 6 dudes in the OL —that includes a quality TE!). For heaven’s sake North Avenue trade school is in the center of prime recruiting and Tech was only going for 3 stars.

So here is my question———With Collins as the coach for the next 2 years, is it more important that you naysayers be right and Tech have 2 more dismal seasons, or , heaven forbid, the program post winNing records? ?????

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree 100%. 6-1 270lb OL recruited by the previous regime will never be able to effectively block 6-4 320lb DTs and 6-5 285lb DEs. It takes several recruiting cycles to recruit the size and develop OL needed to complete.
It’s the key…talented RBs can’t get free without them…which could be the source of the portal departures

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully, we don't send this thread off-topic.

Spoiler: Switching over a scheme doesn't have to take a lot of time. Our issue is that we're "rebuilding" an offensive line, which can take a lot of time. Three years is generally enough, though.

I found a few articles about how long it takes to move a football team over to a new scheme successfully. We also have another example within the last two years, though: Mississippi State went through a coaching transition in 2020. Joe Moorhead went to Akron and Mike Leach took over.

In 2019, Miss State went 6-7 and went to the Music City Bowl. The next year, Leach took over from Joe Moorhead, during COVID, and went 3-7. This year, they're back in a bowl.

There's a long story about how Moorhead got fired, but if the Miss State fan base liked him, he probably would still be there.

Moorhead runs an RPO "GoGo" offense, and it's a Pistol/RPO variant with a standard blocking scheme. Leach runs wide splits like we used to run. It's not apples-to-apples, but Mississippi State in a lot of ways went through the opposite transition that we went through. Their line gelled faster than ours did.

Leach and Dana Holgerson say that they can implement their scheme in 3 days. Learning the system shouldn't be a big deal.

http://smartfootball.com/gameplanni...r-political-thoughts-about-successful-offense

The offensive line can be more work, though. I did find an article about rebuilding a college offensive line from scratch: https://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-college-football-five-step-offensive-line-rebuilding-guide/.
I'll throw this in too: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...hings-being-an-offensive-lineman-is-hard/amp/

There's no rule about how long to build an offensive line from scratch. Two to three years is usually enough. We've used some of the shortcuts, like taking transfers, but we still haven't gelled. To me, that says we've stumbled a few times, or failed a couple of tests. That needs fixing.

The other litmus test is our defense: it is worse now than it has been before. It didn't see a scheme change. We've been bringing in players we'd have loved to have on the defensive line previously. That's also a sign that we have problems to fix, rather than it being just a matter of needing more time.
Exactly. Rebuilding a unit can’t take more than 3-4 years in a sport where the players are only in the program 4-5 years. They just haven’t done a good job of it.

When this dude is done next year we need to get Leach on the phone. I get Mississippi State is in the SECE, but Starkville isn’t exactly an attractive locale. It’s possible we could lure Leach this way if we had the money. His contract over there is 20M over five. We paid Collins 21M over 7 (probably with more guarantees).

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I do for you:

KENNY COOPER
6-3 325

CONNOR HANSEN
6-2 314

MIKEY MINIHAN
6-3 300

SCOTT MORGAN
6-4 302

MICHAEL MAYE
6-3 317

AUSTIN SMITH
6-3 308

CHARLIE CLARK
6-4 305

ZACH QUINNEY
6-6 315

MATTHEW MORGAN
6-4 328

JACK DEFOOR
6-4 310

WILLIAM LAY III
6-2 313

KEVIN WOLF
6-3 303

I stopped there

Avg height: 6-3.4
Avg weight: 311.7 lbs

So we can agree you are wrong and reaching in an effort to take blame away from the real problem.

Edit: someone please help me take out the transfers that came in after Collins arrived, I accidentally added them. The result doesn't change much.
I give CGC and CBK credit for trying...the O line never gelled which makes sense with injury and newness to each other...

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
How does this thread feel about 4 star Jaron Willis decommiting today? Happy because it undermines Collins and confirms the naysaying, or ”Wait a minute, I might be getting what I wished for……I’m sending the wrong message?”

Go Tech
No one is happy with the state of our program at the moment, except, I guess, the fans of our opponents

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Does it make you feel better to make stuff up?
Not sure what I made up. It is my opinion that coaches that have seen this up close and personal for the past 3 years and are seeing the exodus and the current recruiting difficulties, understand that next year is almost assuredly it for this experiment. But, you are welcome to have a different opinion. I am giving them credit for common sense.

Jmonty71

Banned
If I could ask Chip Long some questions, these would be my 3 burning questions.

1. How to you attend on helping teach our QBs proper pass progression? For too long, I've seen our QBs lock unto one reciever and one only... This is bad, especially in college football
2. What do you plan on doing different than the previous OC? The former OC was pretty predcitable and ran a rather boring offense, that failed to score points needed to win games. How do you plan to fix this?
3. What do you plan to do different with the O-line? We lost the battle of the LOS for most every game. Do you plan to include some blocking schemes or changes, to what was an overall terrible O-line

These would be the 3 questions that I would want to know.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Agree 100%. 6-1 270lb OL recruited by the previous regime will never be able to effectively block 6-4 320lb DTs and 6-5 285lb DEs. It takes several recruiting cycles to recruit the size and develop OL needed to complete.
There's a difference between positive momentum and negative momentum. Need heavier mass when backpedaling to block.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

1. How to you attend on helping teach our QBs proper pass progression? For too long, I've seen our QBs lock unto one reciever and one only... This is bad, especially in college football
2. What do you plan on doing different than the previous OC? The former OC was pretty predcitable and ran a rather boring offense, that failed to score points needed to win games. How do you plan to fix this?
3. What do you plan to do different with the O-line? We lost the battle of the LOS for most every game. Do you plan to include some blocking schemes or changes, to what was an overall terrible O-line

He has an email you can send it to. You can call his office. You can donate enough money to demand a meeting. Or, just wait until the season.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I would add one more

Can our offense score more points than our defense will give up since CGC will not hire a DC and will keep Thacker.