GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m glad everyone seems to be excited about this Chip Long. After reading articles at his last 3 OC locations, the optimism is very sweet and generous. career trajectory——Memphis ^ Notre Dame ^ Tulane😭 Ga Tech—undeserved
post Chip Long offensive output—Memphis👍Norte Dame 👍
Maybe he has learned something. ……..

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Let's give him a chance. We can judge him at the end of 2022. We have no idea at this point who even ends up at QB next year or is even still on the team. He deserves a chance with our players and how they perform in the ACC next year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Most likely just more passing touchdowns, wow give you that one. You’re delusional. Sims still* needs a lot of work, or Tech needs different qb.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I personally do not see the point of the RPO as a root offensive scheme. RPOS are value added plays off of an actual solid base scheme (unless you are doing the long mesh thing wake did this year) We shoudl have ran a power run scheme year 1 (pros love singleback) And worked our way to the gun and passing,. we shouldn't have been dealing with RPO stuff until year 3.

It's not my cup of tea either but that's what we've hitched our wagon to.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Maybe the first couple years. This past year the offense should have been good enough to win more than three.

The thing I disagree with you on is that you have been proven right that it takes 4 years to transition. What you have been proven correct on is that it has taken a minimum of Collins to do it. I think another staff that didn't have as many gameday problems and was better in the off-season could have won 5 this year. That is why I think Collins is gone next year. I don't think you just magically fix that.

I will repeat this again. Almost every football coach I have spoken to said we were going to be 4-5 years developing an OL to do what we are doing. I trust coaches a whole lot more than message board warriors. They usually know more about football than we do.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
2 year deal. IF CGC goes, Long will go with him. For the vast majority of cases, new HCs don't keep the previous coordinators regardless of contract structure.

No OC was coming to GT with less than 2 year contract given the very public knowledge that CGC has one year to right the ship. I wouldn't read too much into how many years Long was given on his GT contract...it doesn't mean any kind of commitment to him in terms of potential head coaching changes.
Hoping this guy works out. But just so I know, if CGC goes next year, we are locked into another year with Long. Does that mean we would have to buy him out at 850k (i.e., did we just add another $1M to our effective buyout of CGC)?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is just wrong. You are completely dismissing the whole o line being injured the first season as "they were 3o linemen". It's certainly possible to do better than what we have seen with someone else at the helm of the transition. No matter how much you post on here to the contrary, that will not change. Just look at GSU.

Even healthy they weren't going to be good enough to win a lot of games.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hoping this guy works out. But just so I know, if CGC goes next year, we are locked into another year with Long. Does that mean we would have to buy him out at 850k (i.e., did we just add another $1M to our effective buyout of CGC)?

Yes. GT will be on the hook for $850K to Long if CGC is let go and our new HC doesn't retain Long (highly doubt he would be).

There's probably offset language in the contract, so GT probably won't be fully on the hook for $850K depending on how valuable Long in the coaching market if CGC is fired.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

The 2 year contract just means we have to buy one year out. I stated earlier in another thread that that was going to be the case whoever we hired.

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
First priority for Coach Long. Our OL. They know what a good OL looks like at ND. Not counting former walk-on William Lay , we have had only two recruits play significant time in Coach Collin's two full recruiting cycles. It looks like the transfer portal will have to be a stop gap measure next year more than ever. Cobbling together transfers on the OL is not a recipe for success. Of course, maybe there has been development that we have not seen with our younger players? It would actually be a positive sign if we don't end up taking 3 or 4 more OL transfers and rely on the young talent that Coach Key has been grooming. Hopefully, Coach Key has had a long term plan in place? That should have been the objective from Day One. Did Coach P ever talk about our OL development? Hopefully Coach Long can figure out how to win games and build for the future at the same time. Unfortunately, the luxury of time is not what it was three years ago.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That explains it 100%. That’s like comparing single game stats to season stats. Of course they’ll be inflated.

He had 3 games with completion percentage above 60%. And two of those above 70% with minimal attempts, so those would be considered outliers. Basically sims is a sub 60% completion passer.
That’s not how stats work.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
He gets 5 pair of skippy jeans no socks and a book on how to love your players oh and some money
Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Wilnik and Leif Babin. I can't recommend it enough. My whole organization has gone through it together and it has made a palpable difference in the last three years. No more blaming others, no more victim thinking...we own, fix it and keep progressing.
I just heard about a book that might be better than the one about puppy dogs and rainbows.... If that one doesn't work, Tony Dungy authored a few good ones too.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
First priority for Coach Long. Our OL. They know what a good OL looks like at ND. Not counting former walk-on William Lay , we have had only two recruits play significant time in Coach Collin's two full recruiting cycles. It looks like the transfer portal will have to be a stop gap measure next year more than ever. Cobbling together transfers on the OL is not a recipe for success. Of course, maybe there has been development that we have not seen with our younger players? It would actually be a positive sign if we don't end up taking 3 or 4 more OL transfers and rely on the young talent that Coach Key has been grooming. Hopefully, Coach Key has had a long term plan in place? That should have been the objective from Day One. Did Coach P ever talk about our OL development? Hopefully Coach Long can figure out how to win games and build for the future at the same time. Unfortunately, the luxury of time is not what it was three years ago.
I think Chip Long will recognize the need for more OL depth. This last season should have been the time for the 2017-2019 classes to be your starting OL and I think there might be a total of 3 OL from those classes left. One was a starter and I don’t think the other two saw much playing time if any. Right now there are projections for us to pick up a Clemson and Alabama OL. With 2018 and 2019 classes being busts for OL depth, we need help.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
All the negative posts have me wondering...who do you think made the decision to hire Chip Long? Choose one or more of the following options:

A. Stansbury
B. Collins
C. The Money Men

One other question: If the "Money Men" had a say in the hire, then what do they know that the rest of us don't?

Jmonty71

Banned
I will repeat this again. Almost every football coach I have spoken to said we were going to be 4-5 years developing an OL to do what we are doing. I trust coaches a whole lot more than message board warriors. They usually know more about football than we do.
I don't trust coaches that use word play and narratives. I disagree with the time table. 4-5 years is way too generous. I think good coaches need 2-3 years. I get the first year.. You don't have your recruits in, that you picked to run your systems. 2 years....again...should be better, but expectations are you still need pieces. At year 3, those pieces should be in place and you should be very competitive. The angst is, we weren't remotely competitive. I cannot agree that we will look any better, next season. If we don't look better, than what? We get we got a new OC excuse? I have no faith in Collins. I hope Long can make up for his shortcomings.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
but as the cool kids these days like to say, he needed to work on his emotional intelligence and soft skills
Thank you. I nasaled some of my beer right here. If my varsity boys said something like this out loud, we'd run until somebody cried.... Although in mitigation, we're pretty soft, so the crying comes pretty quickly 😭

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't trust coaches that use word play and narratives. I disagree with the time table. 4-5 years is way too generous. I think good coaches need 2-3 years. I get the first year.. You don't have your recruits in, that you picked to run your systems. 2 years....again...should be better, but expectations are you still need pieces. At year 3, those pieces should be in place and you should be very competitive. The angst is, we weren't remotely competitive. I cannot agree that we will look any better, next season. If we don't look better, than what? We get we got a new OC excuse? I have no faith in Collins. I hope Long can make up for his shortcomings.

I go back to what past coaches at GT have been able to do here by year 3. It's not difficult research. This staff's work in year 3 is abysmal compared to past coaching staffs...and that includes the large rebuild jobs by Curry and Ross.