GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Outside of staying with the flexbone option, no RPO coach was coming in here and winning 5-6 games a year with the roster we had. If you have an issue with that logic, your issue is with TStan for hiring him. Once he was hired, we were committed to the process.

I personally do not see the point of the RPO as a root offensive scheme. RPOS are value added plays off of an actual solid base scheme (unless you are doing the long mesh thing wake did this year) We shoudl have ran a power run scheme year 1 (pros love singleback) And worked our way to the gun and passing,. we shouldn't have been dealing with RPO stuff until year 3.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Disagree. He played in 10 games last year, and 7 games this year. Two of which were half games. So that would point to why he had fewer INTs, less fumbles (although only one less than last year), and higher averages per attempt and carries.

So technically still as bad. Sorry.

What? Playing in 7 games vs 10 doesn't explain away better production on per attempt basis. That's why per attempt metrics are better. Sims was more accurate this year (60.1 vs 54.9), was more efficient at gaining yards per attempt throwing (7.8 vs 7.3), rushing (5.3 vs 4.1), and threw INTs less often (once every 26.9 attempt vs once every 19.8) Also, he had 10 fumbles last year to 5 this year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I hear CGC will take over as DC. My thought is, CGC has been DC for a while now, just not officially. I think Thacker, as the official DC, was giving CGC cover for a pathetic Defense. It's also the reason Thacker was retained and demoted but not fired. With CGC making an official change to the DC, he gets another year to get the defense on track, without really making any changes. I hope this works out for GT in the form of at least 7 wins next year.
JMHO
I keep reading this kind of thing from various posters but there has been zero proof that Thacker was just a puppet and that CGC was really running the defense. If that was the case then Collins has to know he has been a massive failure as our shadow DC why would he keep doing it in a year when he’s coaching to keep his job?

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Outside of staying with the flexbone option, no RPO coach was coming in here and winning 5-6 games a year with the roster we had. If you have an issue with that logic, your issue is with TStan for hiring him. Once he was hired, we were committed to the process.

Maybe the first couple years. This past year the offense should have been good enough to win more than three.

The thing I disagree with you on is that you have been proven right that it takes 4 years to transition. What you have been proven correct on is that it has taken a minimum of Collins to do it. I think another staff that didn't have as many gameday problems and was better in the off-season could have won 5 this year. That is why I think Collins is gone next year. I don't think you just magically fix that.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
What? His numbers were across the board better. More accurate, fewer INTs, more ypa, more ypc rushing. Fewer fumbles. He still has to get better but saying he made no progress at all is just not true.
This is progress? It's marginal improvement on a very down ACC this year especially coastal division. I'll give him credit for UNC (who was not the team everyone thought they would be) but the NIU loss was squarely on him. Also, he struggled against Pitt. I haven't looked too much into the final stats but I'm wondering how many of those yards came when the game wasn't on the line.

STATS

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Totally disagree with this. Sims was much better this year than last year. You could tell that he had a better feel for the offense. He was still inconsistent, which I expect from such a young player, and his OL did him no favors, but he was much better this year, when he played.
He didn't face the three toughest defenses. The coastal was a mess this year. His stats are a marginal improvement from last year. He averaged 188 pass yards per game in 2020. 183 yards per game in 2021. Less ints this year but 1 less TD as well. Mixed bag statistically but in no way do I think he really took a step forward. Especially given the level of competition he didn't play against.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
What? Playing in 7 games vs 10 doesn't explain away better production on per attempt basis. That's why per attempt metrics are better. Sims was more accurate this year (60.1 vs 54.9), was more efficient at gaining yards per attempt throwing (7.8 vs 7.3), rushing (5.3 vs 4.1), and threw INTs less often (once every 26.9 attempt vs once every 19.8) Also, he had 10 fumbles last year to 5 this year.
That explains it 100%. That’s like comparing single game stats to season stats. Of course they’ll be inflated.

He had 3 games with completion percentage above 60%. And two of those above 70% with minimal attempts, so those would be considered outliers. Basically sims is a sub 60% completion passer.

JacketFan137

Banned
This is progress? It's marginal improvement on a very down ACC this year especially coastal division. I'll give him credit for UNC (who was not the team everyone thought they would be) but the NIU loss was squarely on him. Also, he struggled against Pitt. I haven't looked too much into the final stats but I'm wondering how many of those yards came when the game wasn't on the line.

STATS

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG
you’ve left out things like the adjusted y/a that shows a big improvement and he also had better rushing stats.

obviously he needs to do better but to say there wasn’t improvement seems a little ridiculous and sounds like you have some weird agenda

this is only compounded by you putting the loss entirely on him. why do you hate sims lol???

JacketFan137

Banned
He didn't face the three toughest defenses. The coastal was a mess this year. His stats are a marginal improvement from last year. He averaged 188 pass yards per game in 2020. 183 yards per game in 2021. Less ints this year but 1 less TD as well. Mixed bag statistically but in no way do I think he really took a step forward. Especially given the level of competition he didn't play against.
he also didn’t get to play the worst team on our schedule and really only played 7 games. he showed improvement you’re being dense.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is progress?

Yes. What else would you call being more accurate and gaining more yards per attempt both rushing and passing while turning the ball over less? Just because he still needs to further improve doesn't mean he didn't improve significantly this year. The increase in RTG would be a difference of about 30 spots this year. He needs to progress more but he certainly took steps forward this year.

The ACC was a mess last year as well. And while he didn't play against Clemson, ND, or UGA, he didn't play against UGA last year either, and he also didn't get the benefit of playing against KSU this year. Also, he didn't average 183 yards this year passing. The page you are looking at has him playing against UGA (probably a mistake on defensive numbers based on the stats). Sims only played in 7 games (missed KSU, Clemson, BC, ND, and UGA) so his average was about 210 this year. And really, he only played in half against both NIU and UNC so that would be 244.6 adjusting for that. Also, it's weird to focus on how many games he missed, go by per game yards passing, then talk about total TDs so you could paint it as worse. He effectively had the same number of TDs in 3 (or 4) fewer games.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Maybe the first couple years. This past year the offense should have been good enough to win more than three.

The thing I disagree with you on is that you have been proven right that it takes 4 years to transition. What you have been proven correct on is that it has taken a minimum of Collins to do it. I think another staff that didn't have as many gameday problems and was better in the off-season could have won 5 this year. That is why I think Collins is gone next year. I don't think you just magically fix that.
It's taken the staff longer to "transition" than even average coaches would have, but with better coordinators and assistants I think hope we can get back on track, even with Collins.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
you’ve left out things like the adjusted y/a that shows a big improvement and he also had better rushing stats.

obviously he needs to do better but to say there wasn’t improvement seems a little ridiculous and sounds like you have some weird agenda

this is only compounded by you putting the loss entirely on him. why do you hate sims lol???
Point taken. KSU would have been a stat padder.

No hate on Sims. I think he's one helluva QB, I just hate Pnaude's offense. That was my original post. I said Pnaude didn't develop Sims. Folks are claiming that there was drastic improvement and I'm just not seeing it.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it's hard to say how much he progressed when he only played in 7 games and didn't play any of the tougher defenses on the schedule. Oh well, what matters is next year. Hopefully he sees significant improvement with Long and has a quality transfer to compete against for the job.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Point taken. KSU would have been a stat padder.

No hate on Sims. I think he's one helluva QB, I just hate Pnaude's offense. That was my original post. I said Pnaude didn't develop Sims. Folks are claiming that there was drastic improvement and I'm just not seeing it.
There was some improvement, but less than should be expected with a year under Sims' belt. Hopefully Chip Long can give him some better coaching. He still has plenty of raw talent.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes. What else would you call being more accurate and gaining more yards per attempt both rushing and passing while turning the ball over less? Just because he still needs to further improve doesn't mean he didn't improve significantly this year. The increase in RTG would be a difference of about 30 spots this year. He needs to progress more but he certainly took steps forward this year.

The ACC was a mess last year as well. And while he didn't play against Clemson, ND, or UGA, he didn't play against UGA last year either, and he also didn't get the benefit of playing against KSU this year. Also, he didn't average 183 yards this year passing. The page you are looking at has him playing against UGA (probably a mistake on defensive numbers based on the stats). Sims only played in 7 games (missed KSU, Clemson, BC, ND, and UGA) so his average was about 210 this year. And really, he only played in half against both NIU and UNC so that would be 244.6 adjusting for that. Also, it's weird to focus on how many games he missed, go by per game yards passing, then talk about total TDs so you could paint it as worse. He effectively had the same number of TDs in 3 (or 4) fewer games.

My mistake on the yards per game. You are correct! Points taken. My post wasn't about Sims not being good but Pnaude didn't really develop Sims far enough. I was expecting more (maybe I bought into the hype CGC was spewing). I would have loved to see him face common opponents year over year like ND and Clemson. Obviously didn't happen. I would to see what David Hale could provide for Sims passing given distant and on the field. Felt like there was swing passes and screens that Gibbs helped gain a good amount of those yards.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
This is just wrong. You are completely dismissing the whole o line being injured the first season as "they were 3o linemen". It's certainly possible to do better than what we have seen with someone else at the helm of the transition. No matter how much you post on here to the contrary, that will not change. Just look at GSU.

slugboy

Staff member
So, in summary
  • We’ve hired an OC
  • Long likes to pass more than the average OC, but he’s not in Air Raid territory
  • He’s used a “standard” blocking philosophy, not the wide splits we moved away from three years ago
  • We can guess that Key keeps coaching OL in pretty much the same way
  • How this affects our offensive coaching assignments is unknown
  • He’s coached some good offenses. This past year may have been his worst.
  • It’s unclear whether he’s been a marked upgrade over the OCs he’s replaced. He’s done better, and coached in some of the biggest stages possible, but he’s also had some underwhelming stops.
  • If you’re looking for the consistency we’ve been missing (regularly staying ahead of the chains), he doesn’t have a track record as a miracle worker in that area.
  • He’s really good with TEs, but he’ll be coaching QBs. He’s had success with QBs
  • Whether our OL gels this year is unknown. It’s our biggest need, but it’s not something most OC hires will cover
  • The stats seem to tell a cloudy story. There aren’t many OCs who are going to be clearly separated from the pack, though.
So, we’ll see. This probably isn’t going to be an instant fix, even if we got Lane Kiffin to give up his head coaching job and be our OC.

For me, I won’t have a read on this until he starts coaching. The last couple of spring practices haven’t given me any indication on the team’s progress, but it’s still where I’d look to see an indication of offensive progress with the new OC—I guess I don’t learn.