GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If the rumors are true then Collins taking over DC, demoting Thacker to LB coach (where he did a decent job imo) and firing both DB coaches is a pretty major shakeup. Collins will be coaching for his life next season and we know he has had success as a dc before. Hopefully he can handle the extra work of being DC on gameday, maybe it will focus him and reduce some of his tendencies that drive fans crazy.
I hate to be a party pooper but lots of people keep saying CGC was a good DC but every
where he did it was he not coaching other coaches players? ( maybe that doesn't matter) And then the next question if he does good next year coaching the defense what happens the next year? Does he keep coaching the defense or does he say now Tracker is ready and I'll give him back the DC job.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How was the OC not the issue? Sims didn't progress at all. He was making as many mistakes he did last year to this year. He couldn't coach the brain of the operation on the offensive side.

The play calling was predictable. He had a generational talent (and future Alabama running back) in the backfield and wouldn't get him 20+ touches a game. Not designing plays to get it to Gibbs as many times as possible is alone a good enough reason for me to change direction. His scheme was nothing special.

CGC is going to have to fight to stay around. I'm not sure I would have trust the former OC with that task if my job was on the line.
Totally disagree with this. Sims was much better this year than last year. You could tell that he had a better feel for the offense. He was still inconsistent, which I expect from such a young player, and his OL did him no favors, but he was much better this year, when he played.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Rebuilding an OL from scratch takes time. It's a major reason why all the experts predicted us to win 3-4 games this year and finish 6th in the Coastal.
Don't you think it had a little to do with only winning 3 games last year, predictions before the season are a joke I can see them saying next year we will only win 3 or 4 games.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
And the book was?? Asking for a friend ;)
Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Wilnik and Leif Babin. I can't recommend it enough. My whole organization has gone through it together and it has made a palpable difference in the last three years. No more blaming others, no more victim thinking...we own, fix it and keep progressing.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I hear CGC will take over as DC. My thought is, CGC has been DC for a while now, just not officially. I think Thacker, as the official DC, was giving CGC cover for a pathetic Defense. It's also the reason Thacker was retained and demoted but not fired. With CGC making an official change to the DC, he gets another year to get the defense on track, without really making any changes. I hope this works out for GT in the form of at least 7 wins next year.
JMHO

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I hear CGC will take over as DC. My thought is, CGC has been DC for a while now, just not officially. I think Thacker, as the official DC, was giving CGC cover for a pathetic Defense. It's also the reason Thacker was retained and demoted but not fired. With CGC making an official change to the DC, he gets another year to get the defense on track, without really making any changes. I hope this works out for GT in the form of at least 7 wins next year.
JMHO

This jibes with what I've been positing. The defense played like there was a mountain of confusion. There's enough talent to not be as bad as they were.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I hate to be a party pooper but lots of people keep saying CGC was a good DC but every
where he did it was he not coaching other coaches players? ( maybe that doesn't matter)
I don't see how that matters, because recruiting is Collins' one and only forte.
TBH, one the one hand it's a little hard for me to believe he's a good DC, but on the other hand that's what the record does indicate...

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I think Thacker was a sacrificial lamb the first 3 years, we had no players defensively IMO and they had to try and recruit some, hopefully if they can keep this class together and add to, maybe we end up with something to work with going forward. Saban I believe has always been very involved in the defense at Tuscaloosa and had DC do it on game day for him, maybe CGC is going to try that formula since he learned it with his time there. Just speculation on my part, don't really know anything.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How was the OC not the issue? Sims didn't progress at all. He was making as many mistakes he did last year to this year. He couldn't coach the brain of the operation on the offensive side.

The play calling was predictable. He had a generational talent (and future Alabama running back) in the backfield and wouldn't get him 20+ touches a game. Not designing plays to get it to Gibbs as many times as possible is alone a good enough reason for me to change direction. His scheme was nothing special.

CGC is going to have to fight to stay around. I'm not sure I would have trust the former OC with that task if my job was on the line.

Sims did progress. All the stats point to it. OC wasn't the main problem. Never was.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
What? His numbers were across the board better. More accurate, fewer INTs, more ypa, more ypc rushing. Fewer fumbles. He still has to get better but saying he made no progress at all is just not true.
Disagree. He played in 10 games last year, and 7 games this year. Two of which were half games. So that would point to why he had fewer INTs, less fumbles (although only one less than last year), and higher averages per attempt and carries.

So technically still as bad. Sorry.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Disagree. He played in 10 games last year, and 7 games this year. Two of which were half games. So that would point to why he had fewer INTs, less fumbles (although only one less than last year), and higher averages per attempt and carries.

Yeah he also didn't play against 3 of the best defenses we played this year (Clemson, ND, and the dwags). With all the talk of how much work and time he put in to learning the offense and reading defenses, I'm not sure he really made a huge amount of progress. He's got all the mechanics, just needs to get the ball more accurately to the right guy. Maybe Long's system will be good for him.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Nope. I am on record saying he needed 4 years. Unlike others on here, I've stood firm in my assertions. Feel free to look up my post history.
The flaw in your logic is that Collins attained the ceiling for wins the last three years as opposed to the floor. Just because it has taken Collins 4 years to potentially get the program on the winning path does not equal that no one else could have.

My personal belief is that he doesn't get it done next year and will be gone. There are too many troubling issues to me on the defense, which doesn't have a real reason to be this bad and I don't see a path to fixing it in a single season. If he can manage next year successfully I think he has a shot to stick, but I honestly don't see very much infused talent on the defense that's just going to break out next year.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, this seems like its an upgrade. Not sure it is in a place to change the critical dynamics for sucess, but no reason to be sour.

And from a hypothetical engineer who spends the vast majority of his time these days on hiring, no one knows whether someone will work out before hand. But it is good to have a theory and narrative about why it might. Not quite sure what that narrative is beyond this guy might be very smart.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Still wrong. Interceptions might have increased, but TDs likely would have as well, and he was ahead of last years pace there.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The flaw in your logic is that Collins attained the ceiling for wins the last three years as opposed to the floor. Just because it has taken Collins 4 years to potentially get the program on the winning path does not equal that no one else could have.

My personal belief is that he doesn't get it done next year and will be gone. There are too many troubling issues to me on the defense, which doesn't have a real reason to be this bad and I don't see a path to fixing it in a single season. If he can manage next year successfully I think he has a shot to stick, but I honestly don't see very much infused talent on the defense that's just going to break out next year.

Outside of staying with the flexbone option, no RPO coach was coming in here and winning 5-6 games a year with the roster we had. If you have an issue with that logic, your issue is with TStan for hiring him. Once he was hired, we were committed to the process.