GT hires Chip Long as new OC/QBs Coach

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Look I know some of us think Tech is a little messed up

But we are not Miami who fired an AD sill don't have one, has a Head Coach and fix'n to hire another Head Coach for 8 million. 2 Head coaches no AD now that is what I would call FU*k up.
Miami doing Miami things. Stech you have been around long enough to know that Miami has a limitless capacity to waste time, money, and resources that would tax any private school. When they hired Manny, they paid Temple $3 million to buy out the month he was actually coaching there. It is what they do.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
I will say I like this hire. He’s seems to be an actual smart and situation playcaller that evolves his calling over the course of a game. Something we had issue with in the last seasons is that we wouldn’t change our calls even if they didn’t work ever. Hopefully this guy will come in with a Chip on his shoulder for the Long term ;)

FLTech

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't know, I never played football at the college level but the OC does more than stand on the sideline or in a both and calls plays correct?

The OC coordinates the practice for the Offensive correct? Drills, intensity, etc. right?

Everybody is talking about Play calling. Honestly, that is the least of my concern. It's how intense, focused, etc outside of the actual football game is the results we will get on the field. right?

Again, I did not play college football but I just want to make sure that the OC is in charge of a lot more than just calling plays on the sideline.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Pretty decent hire, wonder how he will mesh with Collins approach or if this will help change the approach.

Now just need to know what the deal is with DC .
Researching background some and came across this article, though dated.

The article notes the rankings for coaches are as reliable as the one's for players, but it looks like Long has the ability, which should mesh with CGCs focus on recruiting.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
My only reservation is the same as my major criticism of Coach P: can he develop the QBs. I was really hoping for a bigger jump between last year and this year for both Sims and Yates, especially considering the number of starts Sims had. Tommy Rees (current ND OC) was the QB coach while Long was OC at ND, Long coached the TEs. I really didn't dislike Coach P's offense and his play calling wasn't that bad, but our QBs need help to grow because we aren't going to be bringing in a finished product via recruiting.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am not excited about the hire but will give him a chance. I thought Kelly took over play calling duties at ND prior to Long being fired there, but I could be wrong about that. Collins seems to be trying to design an offense centered around a TE, I hope he has some elite TE talent in the pipe.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I was a little concerned with him getting fired from ND and also not having a great year with Tulane. However the more I read about those situations the more I think the issues were with the HC and not him. Both Kelly is an offensive coach (in both meanings) so I bet they just butted heads too much when it came to game planning. Fritz is also offense minded and it sounded like Long wasn't able to really have the freedom to run his offense.

He had a good bit of success at Memphis and ND so he knows how to coach a good offense and will have the freedom here to run it how he wants.