GT has more penalties than ALL other NCAA teams (except 1) ???

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
Is this true? I heard the announcers in the BC game mention this.... who's the most penalized team?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Without opening a new thread, I guess this is as good a place to post it as any --- Collins got a little animated at today's presser --- https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...icism-questioning/PWO3REK3GJCAXCBKAVAS4R4FKE/

Yeah, he did. The question from Kelly certainly did not warrant the treatment he received, in my opinion, but at least it showed he could give someone the "business" if he thinks it is appropriate.

My biggest concern was that he wants to believe everyone is on "equal footing and status", and they ARE NOT. 18-22 boys, just like in the military need tough love, and sometimes that can be unpleasant, and a lot of people hate doing it, so they will not. I agree it has to be done with balance and some forethought about that particular player & what you are trying to accomplish, but there are times you must get discipline a player harshly, in my opinion. They also need to get the other side of the coin as well, with appreciation and recognition for a job well done.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Obviously you don’t need to be mean for the sake of being mean, but anyone in a leadership position who’s afraid to be mean is going to fail. As Steve Jobs famously said “if you want people to like you, sell ice cream”.

I’ve been in management in my career for a long time and aside from two abysmal failures from incompetence, everyone who’s failed on my management team was “too nice”. Most of my employees love me. I definitely believe in building relationships with those below you and treating them equal. 90% of the time I’m a pretty laid back boss. However, sometimes people need direction forcefully and that other 10% of the time I can be a real son of a *****. That said, people don’t blow me off for that 10% because of the relationships and kindness I’ve shown them the other 90% of the time.

I’m not saying our coaches aren’t doing that. I don’t know. I’m not at practice. He’s right about that. However, the vibe coach gives off doesn’t come off like there is any discipline and we play with NO discipline(penalties and turnovers galore).

LibertyTurns

Banned
This is coming from a guy raised by my Father who was a strict disciplinarian and jerked into adulthood by a Gunny who was mean as a snake.

CGC needs to lead in a manner true to his person. He can be Satan mean or stoic like Tom Landry, a badass like Ditka, etc. He just needs to be himself. He’s either going to be up to the task or he’s not. Let’s hope this has a happy ending.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I’m not saying our coaches aren’t doing that. I don’t know. I’m not at practice. He’s right about that. However, the vibe coach gives off doesn’t come off like there is any discipline and we play with NO discipline(penalties and turnovers galore).
Tech was the 9th least penalized team last year. To say there’s no discipline because of a rise in penalties this year is a bit asinine IMO. I think the pandemic and CGC being openly cautious about the safety of the team is having a much larger impact on performance than what many people think. Penalties, turnovers, and lack of physicality are 3 of the biggest issues that would come to the forefront for a team that didn’t practice as much as they probably should. Those are the 3 biggest plagues that Tech is suffering through right now.

People want to say the team isn’t disciplined because coaches don’t scream and yell and cause scenes on the sidelines, when there’s obviously discipline within the program.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I think it was the first game of this year, we called a timeout. Our players were walking over to the sideline and CGC was motioning for them to get over there quicker. They obviously didn’t, and you could see him yell at them and say, “WTF are yall doing?!”

I don’t have a lot of faith (yet) in CGC’s gameday head coaching ability; however, I truly believe (maybe I’m being naive) that he knows how to connect with his players to get the most out of them.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Inside the numbers of the chart, twice as many penalties are being called vs Tech on the road than at home, 11.7 on the road to 5.7 at HGF@BDS.

Oddly, Notre Dame has about the same ratio, while Clem's Son is reversed. Hmmmmm...... Bammer & UNC(heats) about 50-50 or 45-55 per cent.

It probably doesn't help that our true FR RT is a lock for at least two motion penalties every game.

Tech was the 9th least penalized team last year. To say there’s no discipline because of a rise in penalties this year is a bit asinine IMO. I think the pandemic and CGC being openly cautious about the safety of the team is having a much larger impact on performance than what many people think. Penalties, turnovers, and lack of physicality are 3 of the biggest issues that would come to the forefront for a team that didn’t practice as much as they probably should. Those are the 3 biggest plagues that Tech is suffering through right now.

People want to say the team isn’t disciplined because coaches don’t scream and yell and cause scenes on the sidelines, when there’s obviously discipline within the program.
What's that saying about "lies, damn lies, & Statistics"?

Last yr. GT had so many 3 & outs that we didn't have the ball long enough to get as many penalties as most Teams, penalties on Offense outnumber those on Defense by like 2 to 1, an educated guess

The fact that we have so many penalties at least shows that we can keep the ball and get multiple 1st Downs on a possession

I still don't understand why GT makes so many mental mistakes, some of these guys act like they have never played the Game

There must be something in the Water that only affects GT FB

My first exposure to GT FB was in the Mid70s, I was a Boy Scout & we used to usher in the East Stands at the Games, my Dad used to go to the Games to help chaperone with the Scout Leaders

Way back then we were sitting in our assigned area in the 2nd half of a Game and my Dad was frustrated that GT was making so many mistakes, my Dad leans over to me and says, "I thought GT was supposed to be the School with the smart players", and that has stuck with me all this time, for whatever reason, GT FB despite our Recruiting of so called smarter players, it never seems to translate to the Field and we seem to make more mental mistakes than other Teams

Just like UGA has this thing where they haven't won it all since 1980, it seems like we haven't played smart FB in forever, at least since the mid70s, this is frustrating as hell for a fan

I can deal with losing if you play smart & mistake free, a guy runs you over, I'll still cheer for you, but when you lose guys in coverage, take bad angles, run yourself out of the play and make silly mistakes that prevent you from even competing that just drives me mad and it's been this way to my eyes for going on 45+ years

It drives me crazy how the guys we call dummies can play clean, mistake-free FB, and execute prefectly as CFB has become more complex and faster than ever, in some cases faster than the NFL Game, yet our Guys can't figure out what idiots on the other sideline can easily master and transfer into on field results

I apologize for writing War & Peace, I'm just really frustrated and have been for a very long time

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
When looking at penalties you should look at what types of penalties they are because they tell you different things.

If your LT holds the rushing DE who blew past him that is about to flatten the QB then that isn't a discipline issue at all. Same for a DB who commits PI against a WR who got by him. If anything, those penalties show good discipline (although other problems certainly).

Some penalties like false starts, especially by freshmen, or converted long snappers playing TE, are in some ways discipline issues, but it's more the discipline that is gained through experience being in that situation.

Some penalties are just a product of not being good enough and trying to get an edge. An OL against a rushing defender might try to get a bit more of the jersey than he is allowed, or a DL might try to time the snap a little bit closer to get an extra half step to try and make a play.

and some are discipline related. Things like personal fouls often are (late hits, cheap shots, stuff like that). Things like delay of game when it isn't intentional are. Things like substitution infractions are, often, indicators of that.

yet our Guys can't figure out what idiots on the other sideline can easily master and transfer into on field results

Because the type of intelligence that people think about when it comes to poking fun at other schools doesn't matter much when it comes to being a good football player most of the time, especially since most mistakes aren't about a lack of understanding of what needs to be done.