GT - GSU Post Game Thread

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
first - wow what a roller coaster game - GSU is a good team and well prepared.
MAIN TAKE AWAY - From this game and the other two this year verses the last years chump games against elon and ala am - we learned a lot more this year and learned nothing that was correct last year.
SO FAR
OFFENSE
Knowwe have a QB for now and futre that can take us much higher if support provided .Think we have credible back up ,
TO is run way crisper this game and way way better than last year
AB nothing special but not bad - good blocking and major improvment is probable
OL was good! Did fine blocking for passing - good to see Sham in at left guard some -as well as Klock - looked confused - left tackle still and issue.
on OL RIGHT SIDE IS STRONG. Pretty darn big improvment from last year
JT is a good passer and BOTH receivers catch and block - Smelter must draw double coverage or not fair
BB looks solid - laskey actually blocked ok and SJ was a suprice,
A FEW penalties but not too bad
Coach lost his rythem in play calling in second half - must find a way to take pressure off QB. He was sure on his A game in the first half.
OVERALL very pleased with where we are especially the way we have developed depth has devloped
We have only scratched the surface with JT passing.

DEFENSE
All the offseason defections and academic issues are tough on the DL - center DT are trying and ok
No one has really stepped up in back 7
Feels like we have too much info in the back 7 - almost groh like = playing slow
MAYBE coaches are waiting to show blitz till later in the year - not a bad plan?
The freshman D end and CB are out there and giving 100% effort and are very fast. - should improve as game slows down.
OVERALL - when the bend but dont break breaks, we need to just bring it - it cant be much worse and against tulane we got some turnovers

SP - forget about punting and field goals - what are they

OVERALL
Head coach and defense coaches need to have a long meeting to review why a slow death on defense seemed really fast in the second half against a team running a new offense wiht a new coach.

I was all for run run run the TO till i saw how fast ball is out and how accurate the passes are for a NEW QB.

NEW GOOD would be we win 3 of the next 6 then go on a run into the end of the year THWGto make 2015 really fun.
WE are were we expected

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Plus from another site

"But Georgia Tech's Jamal Golden forced a fumble that gave his team the ball with 4:12 remaining. The Yellow Jackets drove for the winning score."

:D

Ben Jones

Georgia Tech Fan
A certain safety is Not good and I have said that since day ONE

Defense is atrocious

Year SEVEN of this regime and I see NO light at the end of the tunnel. It should be plug and play at this point. Tired of excuses, I want results!

I will continue to support the team but we need a changing of the guard.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I'm taking a page from a poster last week and not reading responses first.
My gut feelings after getting back from the game:
- Hats off to GSU. Their QB dropped some passes in the bucket. I think they will be tough to beat in the Sun Belt. I was impressed with them.
- our DL is really bad. I can't single any players out without rewatching but we still lose contain way too often for a team that can't rush the QB. I convinced myself to downplay it, but we are really inexperienced there. I think we have some talent, but Hunt Days and Whitehead are sorely missed. Pelton will have to work hard this season.
- Justin is a warrior. He makes mistakes but you want him with the ball. Clutch throw. Last drive was Nesbitt vs Wake all over again.

I'm not giving up on this year. ACC teams we play are just as shaky as we are. I think we can win 5 of these last 9. We are young and missing some talent on D, but but I don't know if it is that specific scheme making us look bad, or if we are just outmanned up front.I think we are middle of the road but that was tough defense to watch.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I'm taking a page from a poster last week and not reading responses first.
My gut feelings after getting back from the game:
- Hats off to GSU. Their QB dropped some passes in the bucket. I think they will be tough to beat in the Sun Belt. I was impressed with them.
- our DL is really bad. I can't single any players out without rewatching but we still lose contain way too often for a team that can't rush the QB. I convinced myself to downplay it, but we are really inexperienced there. I think we have some talent, but Hunt Days and Whitehead are sorely missed. Pelton will have to work hard this season.
- Justin is a warrior. He makes mistakes but you want him with the ball. Clutch throw. Last drive was Nesbitt vs Wake all over again.

I'm not giving up on this year. ACC teams we play are just as shaky as we are. I think we can win 5 of these last 9. We are young and missing some talent on D, but but I don't know if it is that specific scheme making us look bad, or if we are just outmanned up front.I think we are middle of the road but that was tough defense to watch.
Id like to have an expert opinion on if its scheme or just terrible fundamentals. I hope its just that we suck at defending the option... like most everybody else. Thank God for the recruiting classes we are bringing in lately... I really see them making a differece the next few years. Some of our older guys are playing like freshmen. Not a good sign IMO

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
I know lots of people want to be negative but we showed some poise at the end of the game. After a horrible third quarter, we pulled it together to get a clutch touchdown on 3rd down with seconds left. When is the last time a QB has done that for us?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I know lots of people want to be negative but we showed some poise at the end of the game. After a horrible third quarter, we pulled it together to get a clutch touchdown on 3rd down with seconds left. When is the last time a QB has done that for us?
I dont want to be negative by any means. They showed some serious resolve on that last drive. I give them all due credit. But they NEVER should have been in that position.

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
I dont want to be negative by any means. They showed some serious resolve on that last drive. I give them all due credit. But they NEVER should have been in that position.

Yep, after we went up 35-10 I never thought it would have come down to a last-second touchdown like that. When it was 35-10, I was thinking "game over."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just a couple thoughts I haven't seen yet -
  1. I don't think we would have won this game last year. This was the first GT win when trailing in the 4th quarter since GT vs. Wake with Nesbitt.
  2. Some in chat made two comments that stood out
    • #1 They "knew" we were going to lose after the PJ Davis penalty
    • #2 CPJ teams don't have the guts to respond to Georgia Southern's momentum in the 2nd half
Given that GT and CPJ exceeded expectations of those who made the latter two comments it'll be interesting if credit will be given where credit is due.

This post isn't meant to negate some of the obvious negatives that came out of the game, but one of the silver linings to me is that I think we learned something about the character of the team after that final drive. Folks bantered all offseason about being a couple plays away from a couple more wins and maybe this was one of those games.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We won, we won, we won, we won...

And no you cannot overturn the fumble call after the game just because you want to fire the coach.

Who knows if we will win next week. I sure hope we win. I'll be cheering.