GT/FSU rivalry in the 90s

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So I have a good buddy who is an FSU grad. He doesn’t understand my animosity towards his alma mater. I can’t explain it that well to him because it’s just ingrained in my being from my time as a student and my fandom through the 90s when Joe Hamilton was GT. I vaguely recall FSU going after Hamilton with cheap shots to put them out of the game because they knew GT success depended on him my question for the board is there any truth to this? Thanks for any old timers who can shed some light on my feeding memory banks.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU intentionally beat up QB's back in that era. It was the trademark of Mikey Andrews, their DC. An acquaintance of mine who played for him (and later had a nice NFL career) referred to him as a "mean old man". One year, FSU prided itself on knocking 7 (?) QB's out of the game.

Joe only finished one of the 4 games he played against FSU. They beat him up pretty badly the other three, as I recall.

One year in that era, UF and FSU both were undefeated going into their rivalry game. FSU won largely because they beat the crap out of UF's QB - he took a shot on almost every play. They met up later in a bowl game that decided the national championship and Spurrier repeatedly made his case in the media that FSU shouldn't be allowed to do that - hit the QB 2 steps after the release, drive him into the ground, hit him on every play even if he was a bystander, etc. The bowl ref's called things more closely and UF won the game.

JoJaTeck

Georgia Tech Fan
i was at that game. felt like a huge turning point for the program and not in a good way. stupid onside kick
They got 2 chances at an onside kick if I can recall - seems that the refs didn't like that they couldn't recover the first one so they gave them a 2nd chance

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Is there any single game I should re-search on YouTube that shows some of this BS?

Bowden and Andrews said they coached their players “to play til the shadow of the whistle”, which is why they ended up with so many personal foul penalties. I have the quote somewhere in one of my CFB almanacs but I’m sure it’s buried somewhere in my attic under a pile of old kiddo toys or something.

About the only thing that really pops out is 1996 Florida - Florida State at Doak. FSU hit Wuerffel late so many times and with so many cheap shots that Spurrier complained about it at every opportunity before their rematch in the Sugar Bowl for the natty. It worked, as FSU picked up numerous roughing penalties and ended up losing the rematch.

Edit: oops, haha, just read @Dress2Jacket ’s reply. See? Two of us can clearly remember the cheap shots from that game, so def check it out.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU intentionally beat up QB's back in that era. It was the trademark of Mikey Andrews, their DC. An acquaintance of mine who played for him (and later had a nice NFL career) referred to him as a "mean old man". One year, FSU prided itself on knocking 7 (?) QB's out of the game.

Mickey Andrews looked like a mean old man who would yell at his grandkids for stepping on his lawn as they got out of the minivan to visit him.

Funny bit of trivia: there’s a scene in Forrest Gump where he’s playing football and wearing a #44 Alabama jersey. Turns out during the year that this scene was set, #44 was worn by … Mickey Andrews.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They got 2 chances at an onside kick if I can recall - seems that the refs didn't like that they couldn't recover the first one so they gave them a 2nd chance
They called a procedure penalty on them even though we recovered it. They got it on the second try after the penalty. I still don't understand why we couldn't decline it and keep possession. I was furious at that game.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
i was at that game. felt like a huge turning point for the program and not in a good way. stupid onside kick
I was at both games that day. I left the Tech game early to go to the Braves game thinking we had it won. Before the Tech game, Deon, who played for the Braves, pulled up in a sports car and parked next to the Edge Center to hold court with the FSU fans.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Dead ball foul so the play never happened.
I understand the technicality but it rewards the offending team. There was a play years ago against UGA when Dooley was coaching. They were down near our goal line with time running out and no time outs. They had a procedure call that stopped the clock and scored on the following play to win. Could have kicked a FG but it was too long ago to remember exactly how they scored. They benefited from a penalty on themselves that won the game.

JacketMicMan

Georgia Tech Fan
I was at both games that day. I left the Tech game early to go to the Braves game thinking we had it won. Before the Tech game, Deon, who played for the Braves, pulled up in a sports car and parked next to the Edge Center to hold court with the FSU fans.
I was at that game. The north side end zone fans saw Prime Time and started the war chant. In 1992 the north end zone seated the student section. Weird feeling.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I understand the technicality but it rewards the offending team. There was a play years ago against UGA when Dooley was coaching. They were down near our goal line with time running out and no time outs. They had a procedure call that stopped the clock and scored on the following play to win. Could have kicked a FG but it was too long ago to remember exactly how they scored. They benefited from a penalty on themselves that won the game.
Today that game would have been over on the penalty. There is a clock run-off against the offending team (the run-off can be declined).

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Joe only finished one of the 4 games he played against FSU. They beat him up pretty badly the other three, as I recall.

One year in that era, UF and FSU both were undefeated going into their rivalry game. FSU won largely because they beat the crap out of UF's QB - he took a shot on almost every play. They met up later in a bowl game that decided the national championship and Spurrier repeatedly made his case in the media that FSU shouldn't be allowed to do that - hit the QB 2 steps after the release, drive him into the ground, hit him on every play even if he was a bystander, etc. The bowl ref's called things more closely and UF won the game.
What would you expect from one of Bear Bryant's boys?