GT/FSU Ireland 2024

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
The only scary thing was my car rental was a stick shift. Shifting gears with my left hand in numerous roundabouts with traffic going the opposite direction after a sleepless flight was crazy but we lived. 😂
I lived in England for three years and drove a stick shift. I admit it took some getting used to. When my wife and I went to Ireland last summer, I said the hell with this, I’m too old now, and rented an automatic.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I lived in England for three years and drove a stick shift. I admit it took some getting used to. When my wife and I went to Ireland last summer, I said the hell with this, I’m too old now, and rented an automatic.
Yeah, I probably rented the stick because I’m cheap 😉 and I spent many years driving one back home. My biggest problem was accidentally shifting into fourth instead of second when turning. Of course, this caused the vehicle to nearly stall and the cars behind me nearly ate my bumper a few times. Oops!

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Ya know, I'm all for the kids having some fun...some exposure, etc. Play the Maui Invitational if you're a Top 25 basketball team...open football on a Thursday night on national TV.

But given where the team HAS been and what we NEED to do this coming season, wouldn't it have been better for Key & Company to establish some rhythm with a regular home game to set the tone for the rest of the slate instead of getting all off kilter with international travel, etc,?

T-Bone Burdell

Georgia Tech Fan
Ya know, I'm all for the kids having some fun...some exposure, etc. Play the Maui Invitational if you're a Top 25 basketball team...open football on a Thursday night on national TV.

But given where the team HAS been and what we NEED to do this coming season, wouldn't it have been better for Key & Company to establish some rhythm with a regular home game to set the tone for the rest of the slate instead of getting all off kilter with international travel, etc,?
It's in 2024. The upcoming season will be 2023.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

The 2016 game was an economic development venture for the State of Georgia. 2024 will probably be the same. Governor Deal flipped the coin at the beginning of the game, if I remember correctly. I mention this because the Governor probably wanted(insisted) a Georgia team play in Dublin. Better us than the mutts, Georgia State or Georgia Southern. Not to mention, it’s just one heck of an opportunity.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
A couple of good things about this game:
It's being played on the 24th of August, which will be before anyone or almost anyone else plays and we should get a lot of eyeballs on the game.
Also, playing a game that early will probably mean the Jackets will get two open dates in the 2024 season to rest up.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I probably rented the stick because I’m cheap 😉 and I spent many years driving one back home. My biggest problem was accidentally shifting into fourth instead of second when turning. Of course, this caused the vehicle to nearly stall and the cars behind me nearly ate my bumper a few times. Oops!
The gears are located in the same locations as they are in the US. 1st either left up or left down depending on where reverse it. I LOVE driving right-hand drive manual transmissions as a left-handed person. So much fun. The hardest thing to remember is how to turn into traffic at a T intersection. Just remember, the driver is always towards the middle of the road.

I think going back again will be a tremendous opportunity for Georgia Tech. My other recommendation is that in Ireland, "Tech" schools are more like vocational schools, so after calling it Georgia Tech, call in Georgia Institute of Technology or GIT. Then they equate it with MIT and there's a lot more respect from the locals.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It was all pretty darn great but Dingle was my favorite. It was just a pretty little town with lots of nice people and lots of Guinness. I dug up our itinerary from 2016. I think we had to skip a couple of things on the list due to time constraints. One thing not on the list was a stop in a town called Ballybunion. I’m walking down the sidewalk and looking at a statue. I’m thinking, “Dang. That looks like Bill Clinton.” It actually was a statue of Bill Clinton playing golf; he loved the golf course there, apparently.

My wife and I didn't go to the GT game in Ireland but rented a car and drove around Ireland for 9 days in 2018. Absolutely fabulous.

Dingle was a great scene, starying up till 230AM and dancing (usually go to bed by 2200). The lead guy singing was John Lennon's nephew. The people were so friendly. We will do something similar in Ireland again.

As far as rental cars, I drive a manual and it wasn't till my 4th or so rental last year that I got a manual in Britain. And shifting with the left hand was tough on the clutch at first. Recommend 1) get an automatic first time out, 2) study the circles, especially the ones with multiple lanes as the lane you enter can affect where you are supposed to exit, and 3) only drive the speed limit (in Britain it's 35 if not marked and there are street lights. I have been to driver remediation to mitigate a ticket.).

Many more things but Ireland is one of the easiest places to tour on your own of any country other than Canada.

Go!

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
For those upset, we still will have 5 home games at BDS. (VMI, GSU, and 3 other ACC games) It's not that big of a deal.
We also have ND as a home game in 2024. 6 true home games, 5 away, 1 neutral. Point is, the season ticket packages aren't necessarily any cheaper so paying full price for 5 games is a tough sell when you're used to getting 6 maybe 7. A lot on this board, I've noticed, weren't thrilled with 2022 home games being at MBS either.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
We also have ND as a home game in 2024. 6 true home games, 5 away, 1 neutral. Point is, the season ticket packages aren't necessarily any cheaper so paying full price for 5 games is a tough sell when you're used to getting 6 maybe 7. A lot on this board, I've noticed, weren't thrilled with 2022 home games being at MBS either.
The MBS tickets are included with season ticket packages. We have 7 home this year and 6 home next year (only the Ireland game is not included).The price for 6 last year is the same as 7 this year, if not a lil cheaper. We need to stop being so petty as a fan base.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The MBS tickets are included with season ticket packages. We have 7 home this year and 6 home next year (only the Ireland game is not included).The price for 6 last year is the same as 7 this year, if not a lil cheaper. We need to stop being so petty as a fan base.
Just pointing out the frustrations from what I hear. Not saying I agree/disagree. I think neutral site games or games in cool stadiums are fun. Yes, they take away a true home game for someone but I'm sure revenue wise, it makes sense or ACC/GT/FSU wouldn't do it. Creating a buzz or having something worth marketing can bring in more total revenue, more eyeballs watching, which is always a good thing.