GT Freshmen

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just wanted to come back around and post this, never got to it last week.

While Devoe may not have had the FR season we hoped for, it really was a pretty solid one that aims toward a bright future.
Looking back over the last 25 years (I had to stop there because before 1994 they didn't track TO), his ACC performance as a FR is the 11th best among GT FR.
Most of the Top 10 will not surprise you
They were in order
Crittenton 26.59
Marbury 26.06
Okogie 23.31
Bosh 23.00
Jack 21.13
Harpring 18.88
Shumpert 17.88
Favors 17.69
Young 17.56
Miller 14.91
Devoe 14.81

Devoe was ahead of Mo Miller until the last game of the season. Miller's asst and TO numbers allowed him to just edge Devoe who had the better scoring and rebounding numbers.

FWIW, here are the next 10
Nelson 14.25
Akins 13.94
Alvarado 13.71
Georges-Hunt 12.72
Elder 12.59
Carter Jr 12.08
Clinch 11.97
Rice Jr 11.03
Lawal 11.03
Lewis 10.91

The most impressive FR stat for Devoe is that he tied for the 2nd most 3-pters made in ACC games by an GT FR in the last 29 years. He shot 32-73 in ACC games. That tied him with Brian Oliver (no not the LW3 one) who shot 32-84. The only GT FR to make more than 32 threes in ACC games during that stretch- Marbury - who made 36 of 102.

Just as an FYI - Marvin Lewis was 16-50 as a FR in ACC games, Morrow 17-52, Elder was 24-59 and Best was 27-66.

He also had the 4th highest percentage. Only Clinch (28-55), Jason Morris (16-35), and Bosh (12-27) had higher percentages and only Clinch was even close to taking a similar number of shots.

Notes on the 2 other FR.
Moore is well down the list at #30 with a 5.64. But he is not in bad company. Right in front of him are Jason Morris and RaSean Dickey. Right behind him is Anthony Morrow and Mfon Udofia.

Sjolund didn't make my list but he did have one very impressive stat this year. He shot 12-33 from three in ACC games. That may not sound great, but understand that in the entire ACC this year only 2 other players made 12 or more threes in ACC games in less than 300 min of playing time. That was Devin Vassell of FSU 12-27 in 142 min and Brandon Robinson of UNC who made 13-29 in 237 min.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I like the way he developed as the year went on. I was a little critical of him early but a lot of his issues were probably from the previous season injury. He has great vision and was decent from 3 late in the year. My hope for him this off season is to hit the weights. He has a tendency to finish soft at the rim. He’s not gonna blow bye anyone but he’s got a nice smooth, calmness to his game. I expect a big jump in his SO year.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, that’s some top 9.

Red, if you’ve got it what was your rating for Alvarado for this year? My untrained fan’s eye isn’t sure if he improved, stagnated or regressed from his freshman year.

Maybe a little of all three, considering he was having to play on a much less experienced team while learning to play alongside Devoe.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Man, that’s some top 9.

Red, if you’ve got it what was your rating for Alvarado for this year? My untrained fan’s eye isn’t sure if he improved, stagnated or regressed from his freshman year.

Maybe a little of all three, considering he was having to play on a much less experienced team while learning to play alongside Devoe.
I think his issue was fatigue. He played almost every minute. Plus there wasn’t much help modtcof the year on the perimeter, minus Devoe. We need to land a grad transfer shooter this summer and hopefully land Asanti Price to back him up.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Looking forward to Devoe as a soph. He started slow, likely due to his injury and missed practice time, but really developed over the course of the season. His continued development will be key to next year's squad

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Man, that’s some top 9.

Alvarado scored a 20.03 as a Soph. 18th overall among all ACC players.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks, what do the numbers by each name represent?

The number is just an efficiency per game metric.
Looks at all the available stats for a player and calculates a number. Took me about 3 years to get it where I was happy with it.

Just as an FYI, I also have a efficiency per min metric. In that one Alvarado went from 0.370 as a FR to 0.553 as a SO.
His PER (a per possession metric)went from 8.2 as a FR to 12.52 as a SO.
So pretty solid jumps at every level.