GT Football Who is the GOAT

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This isn't a knock on Castleberry, but it strikes me that never has so much been made by so many about a player that not on of us ever saw play.
uGA fans talk about Sinkwich fairly often and most of them never saw him play. He won the Heisman the year Castleberry played for Tech (and finished 3rd in the Heisman voting…as a freshman).

Dying in a war fighting for your country…especially that one…tends to immortalize you. Even more so if you’re a star athlete.

But look, put the war aside for a second. We’ve had three players in Tech history receive serious Heisman consideration. Joe Hamilton, Billy Lothridge, and Clint Castleberry. That alone should tell us how good he was.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
uGA fans talk about Sinkwich fairly often and most of them never saw him play. He won the Heisman the year Castleberry played for Tech (and finished 3rd in the Heisman voting…as a freshman).

Dying in a war fighting for your country…especially that one…tends to immortalize you. Even more so if you’re a star athlete.

But look, put the war aside for a second. We’ve had three players in Tech history receive serious Heisman consideration. Joe Hamilton, Billy Lothridge, and Clint Castleberry. That alone should tell us how good he was.
⬆️

This

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

"Fireball Frankie" as he was known was the real deal. A true triple threat tailback in the old single wing. Dodd said he was the best UGA player he ever coached against and that included Rauch (spelling?) and Charlie Trippi. He remains one of just three Dwags to have their jerseys retired the others being Herschel and Loran Sapp the "Drought Breaker". Upon further review, Charlie Trippi was probably just as good. He was SEC player of the year and was All American along with John Rauch. Somehow, he finished second in the Heisman balloting despite winning the Maxwell Award for college football's best player. After he and Rauch graduated it was pretty much down hill for Wally Butts until the late 1950s. He endured a long string of 8 consecutive losses to Tech among other indignities including being accused of throwing a game against Alabama by Furman Bisher that ignited a firestorm of sorts.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
As Frank Leahy told his team before Notre Dame played Tech in Clint's freshman year, "Gentlemen, you are about to face the most dangerous runner in America." Leahy would have known, I'd say.
Not to pick a fight, but every year some coach somewhere will say exactly the same thing.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
"Fireball Frankie" as he was known was the real deal. A true triple threat tailback in the old single wing. Dodd said he was the best UGA player he ever coached against and that included Rauch (spelling?) and Charlie Trippi. He remains one of just three Dwags to have their jerseys retired the others being Herschel and Loran Sapp the "Drought Breaker". Upon further review, Charlie Trippi was probably just as good. He was SEC player of the year and was All American along with John Rauch. Somehow, he finished second in the Heisman balloting despite winning the Maxwell Award for college football's best player. After he and Rauch graduated it was pretty much down hill for Wally Butts until the late 1950s. He endured a long string of 8 consecutive losses to Tech among other indignities including being accused of throwing a game against Alabama by Furman Bisher that ignited a firestorm of sorts.
Wasn't his 1st name, Vernon?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't his 1st name, Vernon?
I am not sure who you mean. Sinkwich I am sure was "Frank". Rauch, I am sure was John but sometimes called "Johnny". Trippi I am sure was Charlie. You must mean Sapp the drought breaker. I will check.
As I begun to suspect, it was a twofer. We were both wrong. Sapp's first name was Theron. Absolutely, the first time I have ever run across someone with that name. Dodd's opinion of him was succinct: "Nothing special about Theron, he was just a good old plugging fullback but he was special that day." Having him honored alongside the likes of two Heisman winners like Herschel and Sinkwich is a bit much for my tastes though.

Last edited: