GT Football Who is the GOAT

Saw this on the Youtube. It only covers recent players. Who do you think is the GOAT.

I think I have to go with ELI.

Last edited:

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s not a fair question. Calvin is easily the best player ever to have played for GT. But, he couldn’t give the ball to himself. Joe Ham was the most important player who controlled everything.
Yeah, hard question to answer. I want to say Joe Hamilton who I believe is the best college player ever but it's probably not fair to Calvin who was absolutely without a doubt the best talent and I truly believe held back by his QB

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Going back a way, Bobby Dodd's was George Morris. But I'd have to go with Calvin. If it were MVP, I think that should be a different discussion.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
What about John Dewebrry for clipping the hedges and this write up from ol Lewis Grizzard?
EWNt8k4WoAE_V_Z.jpeg

slugboy

Staff member
Shawn Jones was awesome, and is the most underrated QB to win a championship.

Ken Swilling, Coleman Rudolph, and Marco Coleman were fantastic in 1990. It’s tough to pick one of them, and I kind of lean “Swilling” because he gave everyone coming across the middle the worst case of alligator arms I can remember.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Shawn Jones was awesome, and is the most underrated QB to win a championship.

Ken Swilling, Coleman Rudolph, and Marco Coleman were fantastic in 1990. It’s tough to pick one of them, and I kind of lean “Swilling” because he gave everyone coming across the middle the worst case of alligator arms I can remember.
I hear you. Looking back what is just crazy from a GT fans perspective is how the stars aligned for so many players to play at their peak level at the same time. We haven’t seen anything close to that since. Jones made every play needed and didn’t make dumb mistakes. Our WR’s as a group just made plays and got open. Our OLine played like a top 10 OLine. Our RB’s balled out. Our DLine across the board was unbelievable. Calvin Tiggle controlled the middle at LB. Our secondary had guys who just balled and hit. Our kicker was money and our head coach gave the reigns to an OC who had it seemed like 3 playbooks he was using. Looking back it’s amazing how it all just came together. I hope to see it again in the future.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I hear you. Looking back what is just crazy from a GT fans perspective is how the stars aligned for so many players to play at their peak level at the same time. We haven’t seen anything close to that since. Jones made every play needed and didn’t make dumb mistakes. Our WR’s as a group just made plays and got open. Our OLine played like a top 10 OLine. Our RB’s balled out. Our DLine across the board was unbelievable. Calvin Tiggle controlled the middle at LB. Our secondary had guys who just balled and hit. Our kicker was money and our head coach gave the reigns to an OC who had it seemed like 3 playbooks he was using. Looking back it’s amazing how it all just came together. I hope to see it again in the future.
Agree 100%. It was such a fun team. That team in Orlando would have beaten any team in the country by a similar score.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I find it remarkable that in discussing 1990 nobody above mentions the best crew of WRs in Tech history. If we had the same guys today, Sims would hardly ever miss. The interesting thing is that the fastest of them - Lester - didn't even start. Oh, and the TEs were no slouch either. As in:

No a bad fake to start things out either. Or:

Or:

I loved Bobby Rodriguez.

Last edited: