GT Fan versus pulling for ACC

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
When I was at Tech in the late 80's and early 90's, I hated the teams we played. I wanted Clemson, UNC, NC State, Virginia, WF, Duke Maryland and UGA to lose every game (even against each other). My second favorite team is still whomever is playing Georgia, ND and Michigan each week.

However, with the recent (last 15 yrs?) focus on conference affiliation and strength over individual team performance, I find it increasingly difficult to root against ACC teams when they're playing out-of-conference games. Maybe it's the perceived SEC bias in the media (no longer perceived; it's now earned), but I find myself wanting Clemson to stomp on UGA, UNC to beat USCe and VT to win against Alabama. When I was in school, I would have laughed at anyone who said I'd do that.

Anyone else feeling such ambivalence?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I was just thinking of this earlier.

A few years ago no way I would have pulled for any of the teams in the ACC...now week 1 I will be pulling for UNC, Clemson and VT. Seems weird saying that.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I will only pull for Clemson. I don't have much feeling for the other two.

If USC blew out UNC in the first half and rested its players second half for the uga game, that would just be fine by me.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I will only pull for Clemson. I don't have much feeling for the other two.

If USC blew out UNC in the first half and rested its players second half for the uga game, that would just be fine by me.

UNC beating USC wold make us look better when we knock out UNC in week 4.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree with everything here. I do really hate all this conference vs conference stuff. I guess it all started with the "sec" chants over the years.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I am with you all, I used to actively root against all ACC teams, except clemson, now I cheer whenever an ACC team goes against an OOC opponent.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree, but with a different perspective. Think of it as what is in the best interest of GT. National rankings are based largely on perception and less so on computer formulas where SoS is a part. When our fellow ACC teams win OOC, it boosts national perception and strength of our schedule. All of which helps Tech move in the polls when we beat these guys. The thing is, we still have to beat them. When they are beating strong OOC teams, it stands to reason they'll be tougher for us to beat as well. It's a double-edged sword, but I'll take it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The only reason I care about the perception of the ACC is because it affects the perception of GT. I'd be happy to win BCS bowl games coming out of the worst conference in the country. I don't think anyone would could argue with our merits if we did that consistently.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
UNC beating USC wold make us look better when we knock out UNC in week 4.
yeah I am aware of that, but sometimes I don't care all that much about it. For example uga beating USC, Florida and LSU would also make our schedule look stronger. But, no, I would rather if they lost all of those games [and more.]

As a recruiting follower, you know how much we recruit the same kids as many ACC teams. The worse they do and the better we do, can potentially help us recruit against them. There is also that side of the coin.

I do hold rivalry games separate. Always Clemson over USC and FSU over UF. Those are yearly and impact ACC vs. SEC perception a lot more.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
If the OOC is conference game is against the SEC then yes I'll root for them. But I hope Clemson, VPI, and FSU lose every other game...

UrinatesOnDawgs

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't care if Clempson , The Jokies , UNC or Thug "U" ever win a game ever again. I have GT pride, not ACC pride. Don't care if we are perceived as a weak conference . All I care about is winning every one of our games. Makes me sick how these SEC ( mostly Mutt) fans get there *** kicked by Auburn ( with Scam Newton) or lose to Bama and then wear their National Championship win on THIER chest like they did something just because they are in the same conference. Win ACC championships and give a F$&k less about what our other ACC teams do. And turn a deaf ear to these SEC homers that say " your conference is a joke"... We get on a run of going and winning our conference championship. Won't matter what our conference as a whole does... Get the hardware and F$&k the haters!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
You have to root for the ACC actually if you want GT to have any chance at winning a NC. It's being very short sighted if you are not.

heeled soul

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm a UNC fan. I agree with most of you in rooting for ACC teams for better conference perception. However, can you imagine if uga were in the ACC? Similarly, I just can't root for dook or NC State in any sport.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Yeah UGA is a team I can definitely say I have never pulled for and have always rooted against. I watch all the UGA games hoping they lose and lose badly. I have several acquaintances that say they pull for UGA and GT. I just don't get this personally. If you are involved in the GT and UGA rivalry in a genuine way then it would seem ludicrous not to pick a side. I loath UGA.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Interesting. I think some of that is inventing history by youngsters. The Sportswriter bias was clearly Big10/Midwest in the 70's and 80's. Southern Teams like Bama had reputations but the regional bias was upper midwest. I remember laughing when a serious football fan could question whether football was even a southern sport, and that was in like 1990.