GT fan attitude toward ND

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For a long time I’ve noticed much animosity here towards ND. So much so it even rivals hate directed at the mutts.

That said, I’ve also seen much appreciation for ND’s hospitality and game day experience from posters who’ve been to South Bend for recent games there. From my own experience, ND is easily the most welcoming and friendly opponent campus I’ve been to. In addition, the student body support/organization/activity before, during and after games is second to none.

My question is this: has your attitude towards ND changed over the last few years? And are the reasons for the hate and venom still valid?

For a long time I’ve noticed much animosity here towards ND. So much so it even rivals hate directed at the mutts.

That said, I’ve also seen much appreciation for ND’s hospitality and game day experience from posters who’ve been to South Bend for recent games there. From my own experience, ND is easily the most welcoming and friendly opponent campus I’ve been to. In addition, the student body support/organization/activity before, during and after games is second to none.

My question is this: has your attitude towards ND changed over the last few years? And are the reasons for the hate and venom still valid?
I have always hated ND football, and I probably always will. But, having been to South Bend twice, once in victory and once in defeat, my opinions towards ND as a whole have considerably modified. I still hate the team and coaches, but the fans are probably among the best.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have no opinion, other than that them having their own network deal is emblematic of what's wrong with college football (note that there is much more that is RIGHT with college football than there is wrong)
If GT had a large enough national following to economically justify an exclusive network deal, would that be emblematically wrong as well?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have no opinion, other than that them having their own network deal is emblematic of what's wrong with college football (note that there is much more that is RIGHT with college football than there is wrong)

Did you know that none of the money generated from their TV deal goes to athletics? All generated profit goes to their academic scholarship funds. Athletic scholarships are funded separately from TV revenue. They managed to leverage their athletics to aid the student body as a whole. I personally think it's one of the things that is RIGHT about college football.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I've always liked ND but that's because I'm partial to the Irish (being in Savannah & all).
I come out on the other side of this one. I grew up in Savannah, played golf in a K of C blitz and many if not most of my friends were Irish. Because of that I became sick of constantly hearing how great ND was. Other than Holtz, who is pretty funny, I also haven't liked many of their coaches, especially Devine. I still remember our loss when we were penalized for hitting their QB Brady what's his name. Hope they never become what they were.

bob4gt

Jolly Good Fellow
I sat in Grant Field one night and watched ND call time out with 18 secs left to try to score again when they were up big. Still had starting QB in the game. I don't hate them anymore, but I can never like them. When they played uga last year I hoped they won, but it was hard to do.
Bob

I sat in Grant Field one night and watched ND call time out with 18 secs left to try to score again when they were up big. Still had starting QB in the game. I don't hate them anymore, but I can never like them. When they played uga last year I hoped they won, but it was hard to do.
Bob
I had no difficulty pulling for the Irish against the mutts last year, but in the 1980 Sugar Bowl, I was really torn. For the first half, I actually half-heartedly pulled for the mutts, but in the second half, good sense prevailed and I pulled for the Irish the remainder of the game, although sadly to no avail.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
For the first half, I actually half-heartedly pulled for the mutts...

For Shame...
12356713.jpg

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well at least they have never thrown dead fish at our players.

I loved South Bend. Their fans around me here had a high football IQ, were confident in their team that day, but not arrogant.

Their personnel the day before the game were extremely friendly and gracious. Going through their tunnel onto the field was nice. It did feel like walking through the Mecca of football.

Two thumbs up for ND as a whole. But Ireslly really want to crush them at BDS in 19/20?.

I’d love to see a poll of ND fans and what they think of us vs the mutts. Might be enlightening.