GT - Duke Post game thread

Peter Patsis

Georgia Tech Fan
Really the refs. Who calls a offside on a punt? The ref who sees the GT player go offside's. 4th and 4 and what is the one thing you do not do on a 4th and 4 punt. Don't even give the ref even a second to think of throwing a flag, stay back two yards if you cannot stay on side. The Dukes of the world win by being fundamentally sound with enough talent to beat the more talented teams like the FSU's and Clemson's. Just like Jim Grobe of Wake Forest very fundamentally sound but short of the above aforementioned teams talent . I knew this game was over at early second quarter. Duke had 2 weeks to prepare so they were not coming in unprepared. We needed to get them early before they got back into game speed. So, what happens. 4th and 4 punt crap. Two times in the red zone and all Duke has to do but get into JT's head and put 7-8 whatever in the box, move in and out and what timeout, delay of game and another time a penalty as well. Exactly what you want to do with tech, force us back long. Just hike the ball no yards would have been better. On the long run by Duke in the first half that was called back on holding, D. Smith was ball watching flat footed one simple juke and of course the runner goes by you. The rest of the D was flat footed and not executing. We could have had a 10-0 lead very easily early. It was about execution, because the way you beat Duke is executing, making plays because it is rare they beat themselves. As far as the Duke runner being down and getting back up big deal that is one play. Freeman was held and they missed it, happens every game. They out executed us and played mostly error free on the road which is the formula for a win.

So, this game was a shred. Kind a like shredding that tri-fecta bet that just flopped. Shred that ticket, throw it in the air and move on. Go to practice, work on fundamentals really go into the remaining games, not being flat and going out and executing and this could be a turning point to get better. That look on the sidelines near the end of the game of JT's face looked like he got a mental *** whoopin out there. That boy looked utterly lost.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Not my style but must be yours so let's see how much of a tech supporter you are:

1- how many many GT home games have you attended?
2- how many GT bowl games have you attended?
3- GT road football games?
4- final fours with GT in them?
5 - how many consecutive years have you been a season ticket holder for football?
6- lifetime donation total in gifts to GTAA?

Congratulations? I guess it's just a bonus you got this "look at me post" off your back?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Before the season started most of us would have been happy if you had told us that we were going to go 2-1 against VPI, Miami and Duke. Of course, we would have assumed in that scenario a loss to either VPI or Miami. So, to be truthful, we have exceeded expectations.

I was really afraid that we would lose to Duke after the emotional win over Miami. Dang it! But we all knew this day was coming sooner or later. Now is when we see if the team can learn and grow from adversity.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Before the season started most of us would have been happy if you had told us that we were going to go 2-1 against VPI, Miami and Duke. Of course, we would have assumed in that scenario a loss to either VPI or Miami. So, to be truthful, we have exceeded expectations.

I was really afraid that we would lose to Duke after the emotional win over Miami. Dang it! But we all knew this day was coming sooner or later. Now is when we see if the team can learn and grow from adversity.

Excellent post

Peter Patsis

Georgia Tech Fan

Right on. Better said then my post. But this could be a turning point for the team and as well as JT. He looked really messed up on the sidelines. Given this is his first loss ever as a starter, this type of game may happen again. Maybe he can draw from this game. Maybe this will give the team enough anger to motivate them against tough games ahead

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Really the refs. Who calls a offside on a punt? The ref who sees the GT player go offside's. 4th and 4 and what is the one thing you do not do on a 4th and 4 punt. Don't even give the ref even a second to think of throwing a flag, stay back two yards if you cannot stay on side. The Dukes of the world win by being fundamentally sound with enough talent to beat the more talented teams like the FSU's and Clemson's. Just like Jim Grobe of Wake Forest very fundamentally sound but short of the above aforementioned teams talent . I knew this game was over at early second quarter. Duke had 2 weeks to prepare so they were not coming in unprepared. We needed to get them early before they got back into game speed. So, what happens. 4th and 4 punt crap. Two times in the red zone and all Duke has to do but get into JT's head and put 7-8 whatever in the box, move in and out and what timeout, delay of game and another time a penalty as well. Exactly what you want to do with tech, force us back long. Just hike the ball no yards would have been better. On the long run by Duke in the first half that was called back on holding, D. Smith was ball watching flat footed one simple juke and of course the runner goes by you. The rest of the D was flat footed and not executing. We could have had a 10-0 lead very easily early. It was about execution, because the way you beat Duke is executing, making plays because it is rare they beat themselves. As far as the Duke runner being down and getting back up big deal that is one play. Freeman was held and they missed it, happens every game. They out executed us and played mostly error free on the road which is the formula for a win.

So, this game was a shred. Kind a like shredding that tri-fecta bet that just flopped. Shred that ticket, throw it in the air and move on. Go to practice, work on fundamentals really go into the remaining games, not being flat and going out and executing and this could be a turning point to get better. That look on the sidelines near the end of the game of JT's face looked like he got a mental *** whoopin out there. That boy looked utterly lost.

We are not like Baylor or TCU 58-58 - #5vs9 wait they are kind of like us - pretty good schools. But ~ They are not like us - a few play calls or A few penalties are lost in the wash. Players play and coaches coach. We are in process of figuring out our team - growth in spurts. We could be very good in a year. Keep the faith man . Baylor wins 61-58.
We will have our day pretty soon I think.

Last edited:

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Looking forward to seeing some analysis of how Duke's defense played us. From what @CuseJacket told me, Duke's defense was showing some unusual fronts at least in the first half.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
FLAT. Total lack of focus on the task at hand. Happens to almost all teams every season. Two huge wins in a row and nothing left for the third big game.

Yeah, Thomas had a "high school" game. All part of growing up.

All that said, I can handle getting beat; I cannot handle giving it away. I am having a hard night!

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
this loss sucks, but we are in good company when it comes to 1-loss teams. Still control our own destiny in the division. Need to LEARN from this and move forward. Still plenty of football left to play.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Nothing has changed with our team. No reason to get mentally depressed. Was near perfect storm of bad for us. Some awful calls, penalties at crucially bad times, lost turnover margin by 3, didn't make a few plays we could have (dropped pass, two runs we were as step away from busting for TDs but got tripped up by last defender, kick return nearly but not quite taken to the house) I give Duke credit for making the plays to prevent scores. But the rest, just not our day and we didn't overcome adversity as well today.
I said before the game we would win unless we were more than -2 in t/o and made costly penalties at bad times. We did both today. I doubt we will repeat as bad in the future but if we do we shall lose again.
The team will respond. I like our chances in the coastal.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
this loss sucks, but we are in good company when it comes to 1-loss teams. Still control our own destiny in the division. Need to LEARN from this and move forward. Still plenty of football left to play.

We do not control our own destiny in the division.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Our D is non-existent.

Any offense we play the rest of the way should be able to cram it down our throat and we can't do anything about it.

Will be lucky to finish 7-5.
UNC and NCSt scare me - UNCE had a boatload of points against ND today and NCSt scored bundles against FSU. Clemson and Pitt I'm not sure what to think ...

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
I think we will continue to struggle against the run when our only option is to bring a safety or corner up as the 3rd linebacker. Austin and Smith are good in space, but not at defeating blocks by linemen. Not their fault, but reality. When we had 3rd and short on D, I would have loved for us to roll in a 3rd LBer....

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The flippin' lighting delay then 30+ minutes once we're allowed back to get to our seats was ridiculous. Personally never saw any lighting nor heard thunder... Granted it did rain hard on a couple of spells (still nothing like that UNC game though).

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Anyone get validation on the Corey Griffin penalty? Hard to tell from stands... guess maybe there was some unintended helmet to helmet contact, but did NOT think the was targeting.

Peter Patsis

Georgia Tech Fan
Not my style but must be yours so let's see how much of a tech supporter you are:

1- how many many GT home games have you attended?
2- how many GT bowl games have you attended?
3- GT road football games?
4- final fours with GT in them?
5 - how many consecutive years have you been a season ticket holder for football?
6- lifetime donation total in gifts to GTAA?

Hate to diverge from topic but sounds like if you make less than 20K you are not much of a fan, and/or if you live 7K miles away from Atlanta.

1. Plenty unless there is an exact amount that qualifies
2. 0
3. A couple here and there
4. 0. Crap. But made it to New Orleans when Kenny hit the winner and the next day beat Minnesota and we cut the nets to go to the final four. As well as same Tourney beating LSU in Tenn. with SHAQ and Roberts on that LSU team great win
5. 0. But wait I am 7000 miles away can u cut me some slack
6. Kind of personal