GT depth chart for Pitt

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Stargel was the starter for weeks. Preseason i and many of us said that was a joke. He is awful. Yet. Here is the starter day one. He didnt make it to game 2 before being benched. Never to be heard from again. How is it some on this board like myself, @Boomergump etc can see this yet it takes the staff games? We all predicted it. Its things like this that tell me on the d side they have no clue what they are doing.

In comes chungong for like 1 or 2 games starting. Rarely to be heard from again.

Now travis. Yet when i watch travis film it is absolutely the worst i have seem maybe tied with stargel but in no ways better than chungong. Yet we continue to play him.

He went from never heard off for 4 years to starter in like a week. Wtf is going on?

So clearly. We are missing something and its more than the film.

Travis had some good plays in the VT game. I thought it was a positive sign for him to contribute with Rook and Stargel. I figured rotating those three so they gave 100% every play would allow them to be reasonably successful. He then won the starting position and hasn't been rotated. Why do we insist on our DL playing so many snaps?!? It's maddening. If you lack talent, give your guys a breather so they can contribute effort.

4NatlChmps

Jolly Good Fellow
Entire D line is so pathetic at gap control and pass rush - why not bring over some 3rd string O line guys who likely played D line in HS? At this point, Roofs staff getting tenuous and it might be burn the furniture

Animal02

Banned
Entire D line is so pathetic at gap control and pass rush - why not bring over some 3rd string O line guys who likely played D line in HS? At this point, Roofs staff getting tenuous and it might be burn the furniture

Just because someone liked playing D in HS doesn't mean they were good at it. Most players have a mindset for one or the other........remember the old saying about "jack of all trades"
If they are 3rd string on the O....you can be pretty sure they would be 3rd string or lower on the D side.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Again, none of us go to practices. These guys, Pelton and Roof, are hardly buffoons. They've got know who's better than who. Even if they didn't, CPJ is not one to sit idly by and watch them screw up our best chance to win games. I guess what you are saying is all 3 are complete freakin' idiots.

I am saying, the coaches are clearly getting it wrong as evidenced by the Stargel, Chungong, Travis issue from week 1. How does a guy start all srping and summer, and the coaches don't see he isn't any good then, then somehow all of a sudden he is benched never to be heard from and some guy named Travis who didn't take one rep at DE all spring and summer is now the starter?

Holy crap if that isn't evidence they are getting it wrong and really need to step back I don't know what is.

The fact is everyone who has a pulse for football IQ could see stargel was a train wreck. Yet a whole year of him repping and they didn't? LOL

now its all of a sudden a dumpster fire at that position. To me i have no confidence in any of the decisions the D staff is making.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not certain it matters which of those 3 DE’s is playing.

here is what I want. Find one DE that stuffs the run. But can't pash rush for crap. And use him. Then create pressure with blitzes. We have to have one guy, that can play end on 1st and 2nd down, to just stuff the run. Tell him that is his only job. To spill the run. Crap, it can be gamble for all I care. Then on 3rd put in simmons or chungong, or on passing downs and blitz.

Just find one guy good at SOMETHING

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
here is what I want. Find one DE that stuffs the run. But can't pash rush for crap. And use him. Then create pressure with blitzes. We have to have one guy, that can play end on 1st and 2nd down, to just stuff the run. Tell him that is his only job. To spill the run. Crap, it can be gamble for all I care. Then on 3rd put in simmons or chungong, or on passing downs and blitz.

Just find one guy good at SOMETHING
Good luck!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I am saying, the coaches are clearly getting it wrong as evidenced by the Stargel, Chungong, Travis issue from week 1. How does a guy start all srping and summer, and the coaches don't see he isn't any good then, then somehow all of a sudden he is benched never to be heard from and some guy named Travis who didn't take one rep at DE all spring and summer is now the starter?

Holy crap if that isn't evidence they are getting it wrong and really need to step back I don't know what is.

The fact is everyone who has a pulse for football IQ could see stargel was a train wreck. Yet a whole year of him repping and they didn't? LOL

now its all of a sudden a dumpster fire at that position. To me i have no confidence in any of the decisions the D staff is making.
I overreacted, had a couple a beers last night, sorry. However, I think you are being a little over the top yourself. Maybe it's not as you say, but more along the lines of none of the guys have really separated themselves from each other? Maybe they're all pretty much the same with varied strengths and weaknesses? Maybe the coaches were using the first few games against supposed lesser talent to find out about their personnel. Just as you say, guys don't always perform the same in games as they do in practice.

Here's some things we do know as facts:

a) None of us go to practice
b) The coaches actually do go to practices, watch miles of game film and know these guys inside and out, probably better than their own parents know them.
c) The coaches are professionals who's jobs depend on getting it right, who weren't chosen because they were somebody's son or pal. Rather, they were chosen because of their proven track records as coaches.
d) We were dealt a devastating blow of both natural and unnatural attrition in the offseason to a defense that was already pretty bad last year.

Does this mean the coaches are infallible, of course not. Does it mean they know better than the message board "experts"? Probably.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
You’re always bragging about that stupid beach house when you really should be bragging about having the ability to have a couple of beers on a Tuesday.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
We are really, REALLY missing Jabari Hunt-Days right now. He has to be watching these games and realizing how much his absence is hurting the team.