GT Defense

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Okay. Call me shocked. But whatever Thacker has done with the 3-3-5 or whatever, give us more. I didn't know if our bad performance was related to Jimmies&Joes or Xs&Os, but we have not been good for a long, long time. Now...I don't know. But it sure feels like we might be good on D.

I'd love someone who knows defense to help explain the improvement from game 1 to game 4. Is it the 3-3-5? Or Biggers?

I'm not a football analytics nerd, but I'd have to believe that our performance in last night's game was seriously good (given the comparison of UNC's previous offensive output.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I feel the same way! All of the sudden, our guys are flying around hitting people, pestering the QB, getting off of blocks, stripping and ripping the ball, and finishing the tackles (QB run early in the game notwithstanding).

Biggers looks the part - he's big and nasty! Our LBs look fast and aggressive! It great to see an aggressive and effective defense on the field again.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe the 3-3-5 arrangement places our personnel in the best locations for havoc.

Mainly because it spreads the attackers so much that if you look at replays we are going very wide on attacks and the interior of offensive lines don't know who to block.

Let the offensive line make the holes then slice them.

It may not work as good against 12 personnel or a power run / pro style / I-formation but for spread teams.. its like they make swiss cheese first then a second later we go through one of the holes.

Reminds me so much of Bud Foster but he used a bear front for so long too.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
The scheme seems to be coming into it's own. I have been impressed even if it took a week longer than it should have. However, our tackling seems to vary widly between "2 hand touch" or "overly agressive". We need to clean that up or we will get burned.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
With the exception of getting lined up against NIU, our D has played well this year. The last 2 weeks have been fun to watch, I can’t remember the last time I had confidence in that unit. Hats off to our guys and CAT and Co. for its improvement. In modern college football it’s tough to do it every week and each week will be a challenge going forward. Here’s to our D ballin’ out the rest of the way. Go Jackets!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I do think the change is as much about seeing Zeek and Kennard on the line have allowed our DBs to get freed up in space and play the kind of ball CAT and CGC have been talking about. Charlie and Quez have really blossomed in the scheme and personnel the last two games. I am loving it.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I believe the 3-3-5 arrangement places our personnel in the best locations for havoc.

Mainly because it spreads the attackers so much that if you look at replays we are going very wide on attacks and the interior of offensive lines don't know who to block.

Let the offensive line make the holes then slice them.

It may not work as good against 12 personnel or a power run / pro style / I-formation but for spread teams.. its like they make swiss cheese first then a second later we go through one of the holes.

Reminds me so much of Bud Foster but he used a bear front for so long too.
yep, we looked like the old vaTech def --SWARMING

alagold

Helluva Engineer
It looks like we are now taking advantage of the speed not size of our guys.Why this wasn't seen before I don't know.
The Def now seems to be built of effort, substitution of fresh bodies. hustle to the ball, pressure and flexibility in play calls that causes literal havoc for the Offense.I swear with those all dark unis last night i thought I was looking at tcu or vaTech flying around.
What a revelation.

chopperbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Okay. Call me shocked. But whatever Thacker has done with the 3-3-5 or whatever, give us more. I didn't know if our bad performance was related to Jimmies&Joes or Xs&Os, but we have not been good for a long, long time. Now...I don't know. But it sure feels like we might be good on D.

I'd love someone who knows defense to help explain the improvement from game 1 to game 4. Is it the 3-3-5? Or Biggers?

I'm not a football analytics nerd, but I'd have to believe that our performance in last night's game was seriously good (given the comparison of UNC's previous offensive output.
It’s called better talent

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I love how effective our LBs have been out of this formation both blitzing and stuffing the run.

i wonder how many of our DT’s are in the rotation at nose?

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Ivey made some plays too.
Recall that when Ivey signed Dec 2020 he was listed at 225 lbs. Now he’s listed at 275 🤩, a lean frame (6’-6”), he will keep getting better!

Both AC #9 and Ke White #6 were in tshirts and shorts at the game, both moving ok no outward indication of injuries (no braces or crutches). I hope both of them are the real deal, but for now, they’re going to have compete hard to take playing time away from Ivey & Domineck!