Gt defense numbers

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer
This was posted on another page.
Just needing to share:

Some impressive stats about the GT defense:

1. Tied for 4th in the nation in fumbles recovered
2. Tied for 3rd in the nation in interceptions
3. Anree Saint-Amour is tied for 4th in the nation in players causing the most fumbles
4. GT's defense LEADS THE NATION in interception return yards
5. Juanyeh Thomas leads the ACC in interception return yards

Also, Alabama and GT are both tied for number of TD's scored by the defense. But please don't compare Georgia Tech to Alabama...

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Just needing to share:

3. Anree Saint-Amour is tied for 4th in the nation in players causing the most fumbles

Also, Alabama and GT are both tied for number of TD's scored by the defense. But please don't compare Georgia Tech to Alabama...
Although some of the stats are skewed by the long int return, effectively, at a high level, this looks like what most people (including me) thought it would. More good “big plays” but we would “give up some plays”. However, I didn’t picture the “giving up some plays” as all the intermediate passing yards we give up. I pictured press coverage where we would give up the long TD occasionally (or more than occasionally)

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
Although some of the stats are skewed by the long int return, effectively, at a high level, this looks like what most people (including me) thought it would. More good “big plays” but we would “give up some plays”. However, I didn’t picture the “giving up some plays” as all the intermediate passing yards we give up. I pictured press coverage where we would give up the long TD occasionally (or more than occasionally)
As the players grow/learn more in the D, I think we will see more press coverage. I have seen a difference in our playing style since the Clemson game. Let's hope that every game is an improvement.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Just needing to share:

Where are we on third and fourth down defense?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
As my man Mark Anthony famously said, "Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war"

I LOVE that we are improving and getting tackaways. Our fundamentals will continue to improve, but until then knowing the scheme and players and coaching enables us to be up there with the big boys in takeaways means a lot for the season! Let's keep improving this week and Give Duke Hell this weekend!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This has been an issue here since 2010. 2009 wasn’t bad. We had nfl kids in quite a few spots but I have never felt comfortable on any 3rd down in almost 10 years! Most of the time it’s frlt like we got off the field due to the opposing team making a mistake not us stoping then. The last 2 games we’ve looked better. I was impressed with the turnovers we forced Friday but we still had tackling issues. You could really see the drop off when the 2’s and 3’s rolled in late in the game. We need our best defensive game of the season this week to pull out a W.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This is about what I thought we'd be at this stage: about where we were last year (or a bit worse) overall and up in turnovers. Glad that's working out since the D will get better on fundamentals - speed the day - as the season goes by. Let's hope we see less teeth gritting by Woody by then. At the present rate, he'll be worn down to nubs by the Ugag game.

Deleted member 2897

It also needs to be kept in perspective. I'm just guessing, but I bet we're horrible in 3rd down defense because our 1st and 2nd downs set us up against a lot of 3rd and shorts. Furthermore, if a team makes a couple 3rd down conversions but then we stop them at midfield, that will show up as a 70% 3rd down conversion rate but without giving up any points. I'd rather win games, keep teams under 20-25 points, and if our 3rd down conversion rate is high so be it. Its all situational to me. We're just not good enough to be stellar at all defensive stats - some stuff is going to show badly. Just keep getting better.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It also needs to be kept in perspective. I'm just guessing, but I bet we're horrible in 3rd down defense because our 1st and 2nd downs set us up against a lot of 3rd and shorts. Furthermore, if a team makes a couple 3rd down conversions but then we stop them at midfield, that will show up as a 70% 3rd down conversion rate but without giving up any points. I'd rather win games, keep teams under 20-25 points, and if our 3rd down conversion rate is high so be it. Its all situational to me. We're just not good enough to be stellar at all defensive stats - some stuff is going to show badly. Just keep getting better.

LOLvl averaged 17pts/game before our game, and that was because they scored 31 vs IndyState. They scored 17 in the first half against us.

Deleted member 2897

LOLvl averaged 17pts/game before our game, and that was because they scored 31 vs IndyState. They scored 17 in the first half against us.

Well it was 52-17 at one point I believe. Its hard to extract too many things from a game like that because we were playing walk-ons at one point. But to your point, you can see with your eyes how our starters were playing while they were in and there is improvement needed for sure.